2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
This is resurrecting a very old post, but I was reminded yesterday, so thought I would pop it up again and see how everyone else is doing with this issue. I just rolled 30K on my 2016 and it still will occassionally have the smell of burning rubber. There is no typical failure mode, i.e. sometimes after I have towed it behind my motorhome and go to drive it, sometimes, just running to the grocery store at home. There is no smoke, no temp extremes, nothing to indicate what is happening. I would think that after 30K if it was something rubbing, it would be done by now. Has anyone had anymore issues. Again, burning rubber, NOT burning oil. Very happy with the KL except for this annoyance.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I'd take it in before the warranty runs out. We had a slight smell on the
2018 for the first 500 miles or so. I didn't smell anything on the 2019,
but I also ran recirculating air with the A/C on max.

Burning rubber is very distinct, and shouldn't be hard to track down.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lately I have been noticing a burning smell while driving around in my TH. I am at just over 1600 miles so I don't think it is the new car burn smell that you get for the first few miles.

The fluids and temperatures look fine so I am not really sure what it could be. Anyone got any ideas? I am guessing I should probably take it in to the dealer?
OP, I get the same thing after long trips in our 2019 - think it's got like 3K miles or so on it. Had the oil changed 2 or 3 times at the dealership, and they can't identify anything wrong. Gauges good, performance spot on. Not burning any oil either. I'm not too concerned about it - I suspect something factory coated is heating up and causing the smell. It's pretty faint at this point too, and again, only after long highway runs at speed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Back in the old days valve cover gaskets were made from molded cork.
Nowadays they're made from molded synthetic plastic/rubber funk.
Then glued on with contact cement.
Since they're right there above the exhaust manifold,
Could be that's what your smelling.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts