2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
If you just started smelling an "oil burning smell" at 13k, I would get it in to the dealer. I'm not a mechanic, but it may be some oil seeping out on something hot and burning. Why not get it checked out at your dealer? They'll get it up on the rack and look into places where you can't. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could it be during the "exhaust system regeneration" process? When that is ongoing I get a burned smell or slight smell from fumes. When smelling it go to "Stop/Start" menu in the EVIC. (If you have that feature.....) it will then say "regeneration in process" Once done the smell is gone.
My KL is a diesel so perhaps that is different? Do not if diesel KLs are sold in the US?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 15 Sport had some funky hot smells when I did my trip to Utah. Running pretty hard in the mtns of western Montana, rpm up to 5grand and engine temps to 220. Only had 600 km when I started the trip. The odors were probably from toasting the heat shields at the converters.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Could it be during the "exhaust system regeneration" process? When that is ongoing I get a burned smell or slight smell from fumes. When smelling it go to "Stop/Start" menu in the EVIC. (If you have that feature.....) it will then say "regeneration in process" Once done the smell is gone.
My KL is a diesel so perhaps that is different? Do not if diesel KLs are sold in the US?
So I'm reading your post thinking <<exhaust system regeneration??? - that sounds like my motor home with a Cummins diesel engine>>. I was going to search the owners manual for a feature I didn't know about and then noticed your Sweden address. You are right, in the US we can't get diesel in the Cherokee. But I learned something new from your post. Didn't know the regeneration systems were incorporated in the diesel Cherokee.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know about the Cherokee, but a recurring problem I had with my 2009 Journey R/T was the transfer case for the all wheel drive would leak and drip onto the exhaust and burn. I could smell it and would take it in for the dealer to repair or replace. 6 times in 5 years-- they replaced the transfer case 3 of those times. That's the main reason I traded it in (although it was a warranty covered repair) and a very common problem with the Journey. And one of the reasons I didn't want all wheel drive on another Chrysler product.
JK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have over 8000 on my Grand Cherokee Overland w/ the 5.7, and I get these same noxious fumes in the cabin after accelerating an on-ramp to the highway. Just wanted to document that it has done this since mile 1, only more earlier than now.

It's not straight oil, it's more like an exhaust smell than anything. I rev a little higher sometimes when getting on the highway, just to see if it will do it again, and it does every time. So at least I've figured out I can "make" it happen if I want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here with the Cherokee 4x2 Fiat 2.0 MultiJet. (Only For Europe)
Strange that it is not indicated on the dashboard and only in the EVIC "Start/Stop" section.
Just got first exhaust system regeneration after 500 km.
On my previous car, "Renault Koleos" they had to re-program it as I make a lot of short distances. Regeneration took place during a short trip today so I kept on driving around 4000 rmp.

I must agree that this is rather strange if you do not know what it is, for sure if there is a smell around the car as the regenaration takes place with temperatures above 550-600° C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had a burning fluid smell in my cherokee. The dealer must have noticed it too when I last took it in because they sprayed the car with some type of air freshener. It's got 1500 miles on it. They're replacing the PTU do maybe that has something to do with it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noticed a faint burning smell from time to time in my Limited, which now has 9300 miles. It seems to be coming from the cabin. It first noticed it at about 7000 miles. Slightly electrical type of smell.
I may be nuts, but I remember for the first few thousand miles the interior would have a fragrant smell in the cabin immediately after starting the vehicle. Almost like aroma therapy.
Haven't smelled the fragrance for quite a while, and the burning smell started after that. Coincidence?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a couple of NTSB filings about new Jeeps catching on fire, low mileage. In one of them, the driver smelled something from the engine area shortly before parking, and after being parked the car went up in flames. IIRC, the other noticed smoke emanating from the engine area. Sorry, I can't find the links. Saw it posted elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had it recently coming thru my air ducts. No one else was around, so I know it was me. I wonder if there is serpentine belt slippage, or something like that.

·
Registered
596 Posts
^^ LMAO!! Cruel, but funny as h**l!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TonyP has it right

TonyP posted 11-2014 with an accurate fume description . I just bought a 15 Trailhawk with 8k+ miles and drove 300+ miles in sport mode. I had to open the rear windows and sunroof to get fresh air as that noxious fume got worse half way into the trip. I know one thing for certain, because I've owned several new and used cars in my time, they are not supposed to smell like that! Jeep are you listening ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a burning rubber smell that seems to come from the passenger front wheel well, it seems to happen primarily after the first drive of the day and before anyone jumps in and blame it on the brakes it's not a brake pad smell and I've used an infrared thermometer on the brake disk and it's no hotter than the other 4. It has an odor more like a slipping belt or something made of rubber coming in contact with the exhaust.
2014 Trailhawk
11,000 miles

·
Registered
89 Posts
I know what it is. My wife parked the jeep in the garage and the high beams came on because it was dark enough inside. I was standing at the front and looked down at the headlights and could see light smoke coming from the lens. I bent down and it was the exact smell I had been smelling (new car burn off smell). Since the lights had just come on, I can only guess that the focused beam was burning burning off new contaminants on the clear lens from her latest trip. The plastic lens itself was not hot. Both passenger and drivers sides lights were doing it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can someone provide the normal operating temperature for the transmission? I could not find this info in the owners manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Can someone provide the normal operating temperature for the transmission? I could not find this info in the owners manual. Thanks!
There is no normal. It varies. The torque converter generates the most heat. When it is not locked up, the trans temp will go up. City driving is example. On xway mine typically runs at 165 F.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts