2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Jeep in service for recall, hesitation issue with transmission, and oil change & tire rotation.. Dealer claims cannot complete tire rotation because the lug nuts are swollen and bulging and they cannot get them off...... they will have to CHISEL them off!! I never heard of this until I Googled it..... Anyone else have this issue, and can recommend a suitable replacement?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Had the Jeep in service for recall, hesitation issue with transmission, and oil change & tire rotation.. Dealer claims cannot complete tire rotation because the lug nuts are swollen and bulging and they cannot get them off...... they will have to CHISEL them off!! I never heard of this until I Googled it..... Anyone else have this issue, and can recommend a suitable replacement?
Hi,

I was just about to leave when I read your post, so I'll be quick but I will return in a few hours to complete.

So quickly : yes, the lug bolts (not nuts) are capped with a thin chrome layer which is horribly cheap, adn it does deform easily from air tools warping them and also corrosion getting under them. We've discussed this issue quite a bit on this forum, actually.

I have a 2015 and I have replaced my lug bolts already because if this. Dealerships won't admit to this but their air tools are doing a lot of this damage to these lug bolts... Tire shops too... But it's mostly FCA's fault for providing such horribly cheap/fragile bolts.

Search this forum for "lug bolts" and you will find plenty of info. There are decent bolts on eBay for a cheap price, and they are one-piece, not capped.
Whatever you do, don't buy OEM bolts again.

Back later...

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I have to read the heading of this post a couple times to make sure I read it right.....
I've never had this issue.

Reactions: Array and Mark_

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Hi,

I was just about to leave when I read your post, so I'll be quick but I will return in a few hours to complete.

So quickly : yes, the lug bolts (not nuts) are capped with a thin chrome layer which is horribly cheap, adn it does deform easily from air tools warping them and also corrosion getting under them. We've discussed this issue quite a bit on this forum, actually.

I have a 2015 and I have replaced my lug bolts already because if this. Dealerships won't admit to this but their air tools are doing a lot of this damage to these lug bolts... Tire shops too... But it's mostly FCA's fault for providing such horribly cheap/fragile bolts.

Search this forum for "lug bolts" and you will find plenty of info. There are decent bolts on eBay for a cheap price, and they are one-piece, not capped.

Back later...
Do we know if they're still using the same crappy bolts?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've always found the factory lug nuts/bolts to be pretty good. Most aftermarket ones do not go through anywhere near the same corrosion testing as factory ones, but this doesn't mean they aren't good or even better. I know lots of people say you should ever use anti-seize on lug nuts/bolts but I always have to avoid issues like this. I also keep a coating of Fluid Film on the outside (wiped with rag) all winter long.

Mark hit the nail on the head with the biggest culprit being impact damage. It can be okay to use an impact (we do) but you have to make sure the socket is all the way seated and resist the urge to go NASCAR style. If the socket is not seated and you hit it with an impact they are done...

To the best of my knowledge (and quick research) the lug bolts have not changed.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi,

Back later...
Thanks for the reply.. I usually do a search before posting.. But I needed a quick answer.

Found out the lug nuts bulge because of the air tools and tightening way too much... (past recommended torque specs).

I'll check out the other posts related to this issue, but can someone post a pic of a lug nut I need?

I know they are 14mm x 1.5, but what is the length, and are the seats flat or conical?

Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the replies...

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I've had to replace at least 10 of these already, and they aren't cheap.
I'm getting a new set of bolts along with my new winter tire and wheel package from Tire Rack. Does anyone know anything about the lug bolts they provide?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know they are 14mm x 1.5, but what is the length, and are the seats flat or conical?

Thanks!
They are M12x1.25. All lug bolts are conical.

Thanks! I just found this out in the search... Going to order a set of tuner type bolts in black on Amazon...

Gorilla Automotive 17125SDBC-20 Black 12mm x 1.25 Thread Size Chrome Finish Small Diameter Lug Bolt, (Set of 20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SF8EY6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8NUTzbM4BTBJM

Definitely not cheap.....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
@ern3

If I can make a suggestion, I would try to avoid the spline style lug nuts or lug bolts. Just about anyone has a standard socket to remove a tire when needed, but you will be relying on always having that tool when you have splines. Remember, your factory lug tool is designed to work with a 19mm (3/4") hex head. So even if you are going to go spines, make sure the adapter they use uses this.

....you can't believe the number of times I have had an issue on the trail or road-side where someone had splined lugs or a lock and no tool. It turns a simple fix into a nightmare.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Do we know if they're still using the same crappy bolts?
I would assume so, yes. The lug nuts on my two previous Libertys were very similar (cheap, thin chromed caps easily ripped/deformed). The bolts underneath are likely high quality and made by McGard, with high corrosion resistance, but those caps ruin everything...:frown:

Thanks for the reply.. I usually do a search before posting.. But I needed a quick answer.

Found out the lug nuts bulge because of the air tools and tightening way too much... (past recommended torque specs).

I'll check out the other posts related to this issue, but can someone post a pic of a lug nut I need?

Thanks!
As stated above, the bolts (not nuts) are M12x1.25 and they have a 27mm long shank (threaded part). Shanks from 26mm to 28mm are fine.

Here a few aftermarket bolts :

These are a newer on eBay and I don't think anybody on the forum has bought some yet :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Lug-B...ash=item2839687705:g:bRoAAOSwv9hW6pBl&vxp=mtr
(one advantage these have is a 19mm bolt head, same as OEM. Most aftermarket bolts in our size have a 17mm head. Description says "Lock bolts" but they appear to be regular lug bolts).

These are popular (a few forum members have them) and they are inexpensive :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Wheel-Lug-Bolts-12x1-25-Chrome-Conical-Cone-Stud-Bolt-28mm-Shank/311774886842?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dd822c72ea59c4f429b7bb091a70c9a8a%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D172761839365&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042
(they look dark but description says chrome color)
===============================================
@mreg376 : I am not familiar with Tire Rack bolts. I would email or call them and ask whether their bolts are one-piece or not, and bolt head size (if 17mm you are sure they are not capped, but you'll need a 17mm tool onboard the Jeep for quick tire changes if necessary ; OEM tool is for 19mm bolt heads).

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Thanks! I just found this out in the search... Going to order a set of tuner type bolts in black on Amazon...

Gorilla Automotive 17125SDBC-20 Black 12mm x 1.25 Thread Size Chrome Finish Small Diameter Lug Bolt, (Set of 20) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SF8EY6A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_8NUTzbM4BTBJM

Definitely not cheap.....
@ern3

If I can make a suggestion, I would try to avoid the spline style lug nuts or lug bolts. Just about anyone has a standard socket to remove a tire when needed, but you will be relying on always having that tool when you have splines. Remember, your factory lug tool is designed to work with a 19mm (3/4") hex head. So even if you are going to go spines, make sure the adapter they use uses this.

....you can't believe the number of times I have had an issue on the trail or road-side where someone had splined lugs or a lock and no tool. It turns a simple fix into a nightmare.
I think I was posting while you two replied so I missed your replies.

To add to what @SS_Syndicate said about tuner bolts : we've had a discussion recently after reading one tuner/splined bolt vendor's warning not to use these bolts on OEM wheels. I emailed them and they replied that tuner bolts have smaller heads (that's for sure) but they also have a smaller seat diameter at the top of the cone, and this means some wheels that have larger lug holes may not be properly secured with tuner bolts. I then emailed Gorilla and they said the same thing ; they know some OEM wheels would be Ok with tuner bolts, but because some have larger lug holes they would rather people use regular bolts on OEM wheels.

I have tuner bolts for my OEM-style winter wheels and have 2 winters on them with no problem (enough contact between bolt cone and wheel conical seat). Best not to chance it though...

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
READ THE REVIEWS....Not sure why, but one guy says "won't fit my wifes Cherokee Trailhawk". YMMV:grin:
You mean this review ? :
Too narrow head to fit my wife's 2015 Cherokee TRAILHAWK. Fine service returning them, but again, too narrow of a washer to fill in the wheel space so therefor left an undesirable gap.
Too narrow of a washer ? Left an undesirable gap ? Credibility = ...

Description says :
Small Diameter lug bolts provide more seating surface than traditional tuner lug bolts
Now that's more interesting, from a technical or even real life perspective ;)

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
side note: I've been keeping spares (OEM) in my car. every time I do anything with the wheels I check them. at last oil change & rotation dealer says they are all fine & none needed replacing

here's what a really bad one looks like

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
side note: I've been keeping spares (OEM) in my car. every time I do anything with the wheels I check them. at last oil change & rotation dealer says they are all fine & none needed replacing

here's what a really bad one looks like

When handled with care, they can and will last a while. Looking at the damaged one : all it takes is one idiot with a big air gun + careless attitude + lousy technique (as in only going halfway down the bolt head with the socket). Some will even use a wrong size socket (= deadly).

As you know (you've been there), once the caps start to deform, they usually go bad pretty quickly...

Caps on lug nuts/bolts is the worst design, ever.

·
Registered
452 Posts
READ THE REVIEWS....Not sure why, but one guy says "won't fit my wifes Cherokee Trailhawk". YMMV:grin:
You should continue reading that review. The bolt fits fine, it just left a gap in the hole that he did not like. The bolts in question are small diameter specifically meant for aftermarket wheels.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts