2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a lot of people wheel their KL, nothing wrong with that.

But I’m curious how many people who wheel their KL, actually have broken something from wheeling too hard, I don’t mean being a dummy and hitting or landing on a rock, more like a control arm breaking, a cv snapping, busting a driveshaft joint, ptu failure while doing an obstacle.
Stuff like that.

I hear of PTU’s exploding on the road, haven’t heard one breaking on the trail yet but here I am asking.

I’ve been putting my 15’ TH through quite a bit on some Colorado trails and it’s been great, but I’m wondering what the weakest link is in the drivetrain.

Reactions: KL14

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have broken stuff but nothing so serious I couldnt limp home. Ive crushed skid plates and dented oil pan. Burnt out brake pads and seized calipers.
I've seen Wrangler owners bring spare axles and driveshaft parts with them...unfortunately KL owners dont typically have the luxury of simple repairs on the trail.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,889 Posts
I've definitely put mine through the ringers, and have not broken anything. I'm not going full prerunner across the desert at 75, I'm more slow, and presise...😎

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The only thing on my 2014 KL that has broken using the OPs criteria is the front left tone ring cracked.
Caused by fording streams which causes the wheel hubs to rust and then expand the tone ring so it cracks.
Other than that and I have probably done $4k worth of damage to my TH crashing over rocks and running into trees.
Partially but not solely because I was keeping up with stock Wranglers. Don't try to keep up with Wranglers, we need to go slower and have a "spotter".
I did pull both rear lower control arms off of their bushings because I hit rocks. The design is good but not indestructible.
I have been driving off road for over 50 years and I always break stuff. It is a normal part of driving off road.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice replies, y’all basically understood what I’m asking.

I take the Jeep slow and often get out to double check the line I’m running. I’m often out by myself in the trails so it pays off to go slow and get out and look if you’re unsure.
Worst thing I’ve done so far is hit a rock too hard and blew a gash in the side of the tire. No spare 🤓.
That was a fun day. Besides the tire replacement the Jeep took no damage and just needed an alignment.

I wonder tho if the 3.2 produces enough torque to blow a CV…

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Was your tire XL (extra load) rated?
That is what I use with the expectation they will be more durable.
Don't know if it makes any difference or not. Probably there is a rock that can break any tire.
Since I have factory tow I get a full size spare.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
There are definitely videos out there of people blowing out diffs on the trail. Can't say I have seen a ptu go out though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Our rear diff traction control went, it still works but makes a lot of noise at slow speeds. We have the rear diff unplugged right now so ser 4x4 is on the dash, the rear diff is just an open diff right now till we can afford the fix.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My buddy Fearless has had quite a few driveline repairs on his. I do have to wonder, though, if any of that was a symptom of getting rear-ended quite hard not too long after he got his, though...?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My buddy Fearless has had quite a few driveline repairs on his. I do have to wonder, though, if any of that was a symptom of getting rear-ended quite hard not too long after he got his, though...?
I have always wondered the same thing. He's my go to measure for pushing the Cherokee to the limit and beyond. Really sucks the way his experience started. Seems like a really great guy to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this post is a little old but I’ve seen a front diff and rear blow in one day. One of them happened to be fearless. Neither were on difficult obstacles.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have witnessed the rear control arms fail on one TH. They failed where they attached to the unibody. Trail fix was rachet straps holding the arms up long enough to limp down the mountain to the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts