2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when I brake from higher speeds with a good amount of pressure, I get some judder (like when rotors are warped). This only happens when they are very warm or been driving a while. But mostly hard to detect unless high speed harder braking.
I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk with 29,000 kilometers on it.

Since I had the vehicle, I know that the brakes are not very good...worst I've had, never really had the ABC going, but if it's wet or have to brake suddenly, I will slide a little out of control, even from 30 km/h, so have always been weary about braking the trailhawk as it has the worst stopping power in all the vehicle I have owned over 25 years.

I read some posts about this, some have mentioned a 12 month 24000? Warranty, and possibly covered under bumper to bumper if there's an issue like what I believe I might have.

What do you think of the picture of my front right rotor for example. I've never seen contact like this from the pad. Don't know what's going on, and if it might be covered.

I called my Jeep dealer in surrey BC Canada, the service manager told me that there is no warranty whatsoever on brakes or rotors, since they are a wear and tear item. But to pay $40 for an inspection and there is a possibility they might do something after looking at it.

What do you pros think is going on....have u seen wear on the rotor like this before?

Thank you!!!

First pic is front right
Second is front left.
Third is right rear
Fourth is left rear.

Both rights seems to not have full coverage. The front is only using like half of the rotor. Also the rear rotors are smaller than the front which you probably know.
The rear left had some weird etching in them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not a warranty item as they are consumables and mileage
is barely relevant when you reach 29,000 km.
First pic really has a problem spend the money
for safety sake.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You definitely need to have everything looked at. you've got some uneven pad wear, looks like the pad edges are no longer in contact, most noticeably in the first pic.

Your dealer is wrong. Brakes are covered for 1 yr/20000km (see here: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2015/2015B-Cherokee-WML-SV15KL-B-070A-1st.pdf). Also, Sounds like you have had a braking issue for a long time, but didn't do anything about it when it was in warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a warranty item as they are consumables and mileage
is barely relevant when you reach 29,000 km.
First pic really has a problem spend the money
for safety sake.
Yes, will be fixed ASAP.
Does anyone know why a pad would only contact the centre of the rotor like this?

I found out after I bought it..new...that it was actually sold to someone else first, who then brought it back and the dealer had to take it. It was something to do with the first owner being told he could tow the mac amount; then after he was towing a large camper, realized that the 4 cylinder is not rated for the higher gvw, so Somehow forced dealer to take it. They had reset the odometer to 0 as well, so I didn't know until it I already owned it and found out after the first oil change.

I don't know if it could have been in a small accident or maybe hit the curb really hard by the last guy?

Wondering what could cause this. Would rather do the work myself instead of over $100 per hour by the dealer and God know what other fake charges. But don't want a new setup to cause the same thing if it's a bent frame, control arm, etc etc. Possibly causing it.

Side note, when I went to get a hitch from them, they quoted me 8 hours, plus shop tools, and other fees....apparently a special guy who there are only 2 in BC that could install the new bumper/hitch and only he had the skill to cut the fascia hole etc....so was over $1000 for just the install!!
Luckily found this site back then, followed the steps someone posted and did it myself in 45 minutes. So don't really trust the dealer when they lie and overcharge to such a massive extent.
Also went to 2 other dealers afterwards and the first contacted them and they all repeated the same cost structure and the BS about a "special guy" that needs to be brought in to cut the hole. (It's just a **** knockout a child could do with a simple push of their hand)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You definitely need to have everything looked at. you've got some uneven pad wear, looks like the pad edges are no longer in contact, most noticeably in the first pic.

Your dealer is wrong. Brakes are covered for 1 yr/20000km (see here: http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2015/2015B-Cherokee-WML-SV15KL-B-070A-1st.pdf). Also, Sounds like you have had a braking issue for a long time, but didn't do anything about it when it was in warranty.
Yeah, it was brand new, so just figured that's how they brake. Also had inferior shifting and take off lag...and super loud fan. I had asked about the shifting and fan but was told that's how vehicle was made.
Also there's a small grind from the back end and a loss of power for 2 seconds when you go over a speed bump, but was told that's normal as well.

I'll go pay the $40 and see if they might cover any repairs if needed, it may actually be a manufacturing issue at time of build...who knows.
Just weird how only the center makes contact....offset, it would be the top or bottom..
But the middle!? That's weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I took it in, they said nothing wrong...but they can see there is something wrong with looking at the rotors.
Kept going around in circles with them about all parts working fine, but there is something wrong.
Finally asked what the thickness of the centre of rotors vs the outer unused portion was, and the same for the brake pads from Centre to outer side. They said didn't check, even though they started by saying they checked everything possible from master cylinder to pads.

Anyways, when I went to pick it up, after asking them to pull the wheel off again and give me those measurement so I could phone Chrysler Canada about the issue and them not finding anything and not covering it through warranty....when I got there, they said that the dealership was going to go ahead and pay for all 4 rotors and labour out of their own pocket, just because they are a good dealership and don't mind paying for customer repairs!
Wow! Really? Then said just to pay the $50 cost to have the check done. I said, but it must really be under warranty...a dealer wouldn't really do that, so why the $50?

He said hold on, typed a few keys on the keyboard and said,look at that, looks like I am able to do it under warranty, which means u don't have to pay the 50 either.

I am waiting for the parts to come in, as he said as I was leaving that it was a manufacturer issue, and that some rotors from the same run had issues. It's been about 10 days now.

Just wanted to update it here in case someone else has a similar issue.

Thanks for the replies from the other members, this site has a lot of good info!

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Glad to hear that the dealer is going to take care of this for you. It seems that SOME dealers will try to get away with whatever they can, but whenever I take a vehicle to the dealers for whatever reason, I make sure that I know more than they do. Realizing that you are not an "easy target" seems to work more often than not...good job on being persistent.

Keep us posted once you get the TH back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did a front brake job on my 2015 Limited 3.2 (75k mileage) I had the same issue w/the inside brake pads/rotors. Anyone figure out what's going on here?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
If the dealer’s solution worked, then yes I do. Apparently the OP’s problem was solved since he never returned. If you have a specific question, it is usually best to start your own thread rather than to revive one this old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, will be fixed ASAP.
Does anyone know why a pad would only contact the centre of the rotor like this?

I found out after I bought it..new...that it was actually sold to someone else first, who then brought it back and the dealer had to take it. It was something to do with the first owner being told he could tow the mac amount; then after he was towing a large camper, realized that the 4 cylinder is not rated for the higher gvw, so Somehow forced dealer to take it. They had reset the odometer to 0 as well, so I didn't know until it I already owned it and found out after the first oil change.

I don't know if it could have been in a small accident or maybe hit the curb really hard by the last guy?

Wondering what could cause this. Would rather do the work myself instead of over $100 per hour by the dealer and God know what other fake charges. But don't want a new setup to cause the same thing if it's a bent frame, control arm, etc etc. Possibly causing it.

Side note, when I went to get a hitch from them, they quoted me 8 hours, plus shop tools, and other fees....apparently a special guy who there are only 2 in BC that could install the new bumper/hitch and only he had the skill to cut the fascia hole etc....so was over $1000 for just the install!!
Luckily found this site back then, followed the steps someone posted and did it myself in 45 minutes. So don't really trust the dealer when they lie and overcharge to such a massive extent.
Also went to 2 other dealers afterwards and the first contacted them and they all repeated the same cost structure and the BS about a "special guy" that needs to be brought in to cut the hole. (It's just a **** knockout a child could do with a simple push of their hand)

The rust/ build up on the edge and inside lip of the rotor cause the pad edges to wear unevenly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts