2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm stumped. I ordered the OEM Hitch and Harness (82213938AF) to tow with. All have been installed succesfully. I then realized that this does not include trailer brakes. I was assuming the Module that comes with the harness that I mounted in the back was a brake controller. Why else would the whole harness be $200?

Installing I noticed the blue cold brake wire, located under the rear quarter panel, that says "To Brake Controller". Has anyone installed a brake controller onto this system? What all do I need to do?

From what I understand, I'll have to purchase a brake controller, run a jumper line for the blue wire, but then I'm lost as to how to connect the other brake controller wires. It was easier to install eTrailer harnesses on my Kia sportage and splice them in than track down OEM install guides for the jeep!

·
Registered
642 Posts
uh so you say you installed the oem part, then you say you installed aftermarket harness.
please clarify.

with oem you plug in the brake controller under the dash by your feet.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm stumped. I ordered the OEM Hitch and Harness (82213938AF) to tow with. All have been installed succesfully. I then realized that this does not include trailer brakes. I was assuming the Module that comes with the harness that I mounted in the back was a brake controller. Why else would the whole harness be $200?

Installing I noticed the blue cold brake wire, located under the rear quarter panel, that says "To Brake Controller". Has anyone installed a brake controller onto this system? What all do I need to do?

From what I understand, I'll have to purchase a brake controller, run a jumper line for the blue wire, but then I'm lost as to how to connect the other brake controller wires. It was easier to install eTrailer harnesses and splice them in than track down OEM install guides!
Yes I believe that wire to be for a brake controller. I'm not happy about wiring it up so I am going a different route. My trailhawk has the wiring in the front for a brake controller already and I have some confidence that if I change the harness in the rear to be the different one I can do it the OEM factory way. The harness you buy as the kit is a different kind of harness, but it works for all jeep cherokees. If you don't have a 2019+ I wouldn't attempt do to what I'm doing because I don't think all the jeeps are prepped the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uh so you say you installed the oem part, then you say you installed aftermarket harness.
please clarify.

with oem you plug in the brake controller under the dash by your feet.
Sorry for the confusion. I edited it to make more sense. When I wired in an aftermarket 7 point harness on my sportage a few years ago and it was easier to do that than track down the in an outs of the mopar harness 😆
Is that plug in all trailhawks? Even without the factory tow package? If so, do I extend that blue wire and plug it into the back of that plug?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. I edited it to make more sense. When I wired in an aftermarket 7 point harness on my sportage a few years ago and it was easier to do that than track down the in an outs of the mopar harness 😆
Is that plug in all trailhawks? Even without the factory tow package? If so, do I extend that blue wire and plug it into the back of that plug?
I do not think all the trailhawks have the plug. If you have the plug it is likely going to a different set of wiring than the harness you installed. I don't know for sure if it would work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts