2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

On way back from Yuma, my 2015 KL with 81K blew the engine. Had it towed to Jeep Dealer and their best guess without taking it apart is that the crankshaft bearings failed and then sent metal debris thought the engine. They surmised this based on metal particles in the oil. The car was not low on oil as I checked it when I stopped in Gila Bend.

Current estimate for a replacement engine installed at dealer is ~$8K. so the conumdrum is do I do the replacement or walk away and sell the KL for scrap? Other options? Does anyone know if that engine replacement will include the transmission?

I am under the 100K, but over the 5 year for warranty.

Thanks,
SD Brad

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
Hi All,

On way back from Yuma, my 2015 KL with 81K blew the engine. Had it towed to Jeep Dealer and their best guess without taking it apart is that the crankshaft bearings failed and then sent metal debris thought the engine. They surmised this based on metal particles in the oil. The car was not low on oil as I checked it when I stopped in Gila Bend.

Current estimate for a replacement engine installed at dealer is ~$8K. so the conumdrum is do I do the replacement or walk away and sell the KL for scrap? Other options? Does anyone know if that engine replacement will include the transmission?

I am under the 100K, but over the 5 year for warranty.

Thanks,
SD Brad
Hi,

Wow... that's terrible... My 2015 Lattitude is also just out of warranty and I had a bit of an engine scare recently. Hopefully I'm good now, but I did start to worry about what I would do if faced with a major engine situation. Yuck...

You could try the recycler option : look for a used or rebuilt 3.2, and a shop williing to do the swap for less than a dealership. We had a member on here a while back who had a used engine installed for under $4K, IIRC. Who knows, you could get lucky..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would say scrap it. Then if you still want a jeep go for a newer one that doesn't have the crankshaft/bearing issues. If you replace the engine in yours you may just run into the exact same issue again! I'm pretty sure the 8k would only be for a new engine; not the transmission with it. Good luck however you choose!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I am in the process of negotiating with Jeep. I will let you know how things proceed. Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
154 Posts
I truly do wish you the best of luck. It would be nice to see Jeep taking care of its customers in a better fashion. Again SD Brad Good Luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Current estimate for a replacement engine installed at dealer is ~$8K
I am in the process of negotiating with Jeep.
Well since I know that "estimate" and "negotiation" are two separate things its obvious that SD Brad is going to try and negotiate with Jeep for a better deal. At 81k miles for a engine to have massive failure is despicable. Jeep knows this and so do most people who buy a car. My comment states best of luck as in getting a better deal with Jeep than the dealer is estimating the cost at. Now if you think its ok for an engine to blow at 81k miles then thats your opinion. And if that is the case, I bet you you pay full MSRP without trying to negotiate for a better deal yourself.
And "dealer" and "Jeep/FCA" are two separate entities. The dealer will follow what Jeep says not vice versa.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well since I know that "estimate" and "negotiation" are two separate things its obvious that SD Brad is going to try and negotiate with Jeep for a better deal. At 81k miles for a engine to have massive failure is despicable. Jeep knows this and so do most people who buy a car. My comment states best of luck as in getting a better deal with Jeep than the dealer is estimating the cost at. Now if you think its ok for an engine to blow at 81k miles then thats your opinion. And if that is the case, I bet you you pay full MSRP without trying to negotiate for a better deal yourself.
And "dealer" and "Jeep/FCA" are two separate entities. The dealer will follow what Jeep says not vice versa.
Nope, did not pay full MSRP for either of my Jeeps, a 18 and a 19. Also have MaxCare Lifetime on both, just sayin. I know, tons of detractors that say MaxCare Lifetime isn't worth it (I know, not offered anymore) also, no where did I say I think its ok for an engine to blow at 81k either.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Nope, did not pay full MSRP for either of my Jeeps, a 18 and a 19. Also have MaxCare Lifetime on both, just sayin. I know, tons of detractors that say MaxCare Lifetime isn't worth it (I know, not offered anymore) also, no where did I say I think its ok for an engine to blow at 81k either.

Not sure who said Lifetime Maxcare isn't worth it, but it's a rolling
computer on 4 wheels. I too have Lifetime Maxcare on both the 2018
and 2019. Already used it once at 44k

·
Registered
154 Posts
Let me start off by saying I wasn't attacking anyone. I was only expressing that since the dealer quoted SD Brad 8k for a new engine and he is negotiating with Jeep/FCA for a better deal, then I applaud SD Brad for trying to get the best deal possible. If I offended you or anyone in this post then I do apologize. I agree Maxcare Lifetime would be awesome but since they no longer offer it, I grabbed the 5year/85k option myself. Totally agree @XJ99 the extended warranty is a lifesaver, with the peace of mind just knowing you have it if nothing else.
Please keep us updated as how the negotiations go!
Again @WonederLust101 if it sounded like I was attacking you I really did not have that intention.

·
Registered
205 Posts
These pentastar 3.2 & the 3.6 have some very concerning quality issues and suffer failed roller rocker bearings among damaged camshafts all too often. Most suffer this fate by 80k miles. If not caught early it can cause more extensive damage. Any ticking or misfires need to be resolved asap. I really hope enough people complain to FCA and something is done about this. Its not fair to the consumer to not be able to rely on a reliable engine for atleast 150k miles with normal maintenance. Older engines run longer than this newer crap they are building. Way to much cost cutting at FCA going on. Will never own another pentastar aka pentacrap myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts