2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading into my fifth winter with the Blizzaks/Tourens. Blizzak (WS80) 8/32" tread remaining, and no corrosion on the Tourens.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
That's awesome. My Blizzaks are on their 6th winter, got 7/32 remaining I think. This will be their last winter, probably (winter compound on 55% of thread depth).

My aftermarket DAI wheels have very little corrosion, glad to hear the Tourens are salt resistant as well. I didn't get so lucky with my wife's aftermarket winter wheels : after 4 winters, they are not in great shape anymore. Her wheels are RWC, also bought from PMC Tire. I do not recommend RWC for winter...

Late edit : I had written RTX for the wife's wheels... Checked the invoice and they are RWC (model VW41).

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome. My Blizzaks are on their 6th winter, got 7/32 remaining I think. This will be their last winter, probably (winter compound on 55% of thread depth).
/QUOTE]
Yup, I expect it will be the last winter for mine as well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
5, 6, doesn't really mean much without knowing how many miles are on the tires. Just saying.... :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I see that alot.

all of blizzak tread is winter compound.. its just the top 55% is the multicell winter compound.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Glad I don't have to worry about that!!!
5a28692867f37.image.gif

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
5, 6, doesn't really mean much without knowing how many miles are on the tires. Just saying.... :)
We added remaining thread depth, because... number of winters means nothing, of course ;)

I see that alot.

all of blizzak tread is winter compound.. its just the top 55% is the multicell winter compound.
I want all of the winter compound, so they get swapped at 5/32. FWIW : I swap my all seasons at 5/32 too, ok maybe 4. Of all the studless winter tires out there, Michelin X-Ice are the only ones with full thread winter compound. I think Continentals do it that way now too. This means one extra winter, usually, because a winter tire with less than 4/32nds is not going to offer the best snow grip. regardless of compound.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We added remaining thread depth, because... number of winters means nothing, of course ;)
Ok, now you are just being difficult. haha. Tread depth also doesn't mean much if one doesn't know how many miles were actually driven on the tires.

Hey, you can even give the number in kilometers. I'll do the conversion. ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What are you guys doing up there, driving on glaciers??? LOL!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
What are you guys doing up there, driving on glaciers??? LOL!!!
I'm not as far North as Mark, but around here we average 45+ inches of snow each winter....and that is just the average.

Many people here also use all-season tires in the winter. These are the people that are often seen in ditches, whether they have a Jeep or not.

So yeah, snow tires are serious business. Once you use them in a MN winter, you'll never go back to all-season tires again. They DO make that big of a difference.

Now if I just had an idea on how many miles I could expect out of a set of Blizzaks...... :p

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm not as far North as Mark, but around here we average 45+ inches of snow each winter....and that is just the average.

Many people here also use all-season tires in the winter. These are the people that are often seen in ditches, whether they have a Jeep or not.

So yeah, snow tires are serious business. Once you use them in a MN winter, you'll never go back to all-season tires again. They DO make that big of a difference.

Now if I just had an idea on how many miles I could expect out of a set of Blizzaks...... :p
I'm in Utah, and we get our fair share of snow, but we don't have those many days of sub zero temps. I've never had any issues with 4x4 and a good set of all terrains...Now, if someone could come up with a dedicated winter all terrain that didn't wear out in 10,000 miles, that would be awesome. I've never quite understood how they do work as well as they do when they all look like "Mega Siped" all seasons. I have seen a couple that were a little more aggressive, kind of like what you'd see on a rally car with tight, square block tread. I know it's all in that compound. I'm sure they really make a difference on a Camry, or other non AWD vehicles, especially up there.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
Ok, now you are just being difficult. haha. Tread depth also doesn't mean much if one doesn't know how many miles were actually driven on the tires.

Hey, you can even give the number in kilometers. I'll do the conversion. ;)
Actually... I don't have a lot of miles /kilometers on them. I can guess around 25K miles, maybe 30K, no more. But... I do mostly city driving during the winter (small city, we live just outside), so more wear and tear than for someone doing more highway miles. My OEM all seasaons were done at roughly 40K miles, much more city driving as well.

So mileage alone is... not an absolute wear factor ;)

Winter is taking forever to get here. We were doing great late October, but... warm air came up. Now we're just waiting for snow... :-(

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm in Utah, and we get our fair share of snow, but we don't have those many days of sub zero temps. I've never had any issues with 4x4 and a good set of all terrains...Now, if someone could come up with a dedicated winter all terrain that didn't wear out in 10,000 miles, that would be awesome. I've never quite understood how they do work as well as they do when they all look like "Mega Siped" all seasons. I have seen a couple that were a little more aggressive, kind of like what you'd see on a rally car with tight, square block tread. I know it's all in that compound. I'm sure they really make a difference on a Camry, or other non AWD vehicles, especially up there.
As you stated, it's all in the 'compound'. At its most basic, snow tires are much softer than all-season or AT tires, giving them better grip in the ice and snow. Your standard Jeep AT tire is hard as a rock in really cold weather and all the tread depth and tread patterns won't help you in those conditions.

Sure, a person can drive thru a foot of freshly fallen snow in their Jeep with stock tires, but if there is a thin layer of ice underneath that snow, then watch out when you have to stop or go around a sharp corner.

Ultimately, that is what makes snow tires worth their investment.....they stop and grip better in icy conditions. Every year I see see AWD vehicles and 4 wheel drive trucks in the ditches around here. They think that because they can plow thru the snow that they are invincible. But ice disagrees, and shows them the error of their thinking. haha

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Actually... I don't have a lot of miles /kilometers on them. I can guess around 25K miles, maybe 30K, no more. But... I do mostly city driving during the winter (small city, we live just outside), so more wear and tear than for someone doing more highway miles. My OEM all seasaons were done at roughly 40K miles, much more city driving as well.

Winter is taking forever to get here. We were doing great late October, but... warm air came up. Now we're just waiting for snow... :-(
The Blizzak W965 is the closest thing to a dedicated winter all terrain that I can find. Too bad it's only available in LT sizes, might be a little stiff in a deep freeze. The DM V2 looks like a pretty grippy design too. Wonder what's available in a 305/35R/19 and 295/35R/19???😎

·
Registered
229 Posts

I was asking because I normally put 10,000 miles on my snow tires each winter. So 6 years would equal 60,000 total miles and if there are snow tires that can do that, I will buy them at any cost! haha

Lots of factors go into tires, including snow tires. I had a set of Firestone snow tires years ago which were incredible in the snow and ice, but after 15,000 miles they were screaming like banshees as I drove down the road. I couldn't stand it anymore so I got rid of them.

I currently have Cooper Discoverer True North tires on my Jeep. The most awesome thing about them is how quiet they are, considerably quieter than the stock Firestone tires.

But I can't compare the traction on ice/snow with other snow tires because this is my first Jeep. So I will probably be trying another snow tire when these wear out, even though I am happy with them so far.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I want all of the winter compound, so they get swapped at 5/32.
yes the entire tread of blizzaks is a winter compound. its just 2 different winter compounds.

There is no plastic all-season compound under the multicell winter compound

, Michelin X-Ice are the only ones with full thread winter compound. I think Continentals do it that way now too.
afaik: of any major brand winter tires only some blizzaks use 2 different (both winter)compounds in modern winter tires that are available now. Michelin, continential, firestone, nokian, toyo, hankook etc should all be 1 compound full tread depth.

if you know something I dont please link always willing to learn.

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
yes the entire tread of blizzaks is a winter compound. its just 2 different winter compounds.

There is no plastic all-season compound under the multicell winter compound

afaik: of any major brand winter tires only some blizzaks use 2 different (both winter)compounds in modern winter tires that are available now. Michelin, continential, firestone, nokian, toyo, hankook etc should all be 1 compound full tread depth.

if you know something I dont please link always willing to learn.
Ha, no. I think you know much more than I do. I never really caught there were different winter compounds at different depths on some tires.
Raeding up on the new Conti VikingContact 7s, they have multiple layers/arrangements of sipes and block reinforcement, but winter compound seems to end at 5/32. But... reviews say they wear more slowly than some other studless tires out there, so perhaps they'll last as long as others which do have softer compound down below 5/32. Michelins (winters) are known for full depth winter compound AND long thread life. It is then a matter of grip profile needed, preference and budget...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got my brand new set mounted on my new DRAG wheels. (I don’t know anything but this is what Discount Tire hooked it up with). Thule Extender rack mounter with Mopar (Thule) cross bars. Stoked. I love the red ring on the OP’s wheels. Is that part of the wheel or tire or what? I want that...!!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I chose X-ice over blizzak because of the full winter compound.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I chose X-ice over blizzak because of the full winter compound.
I've ran X-Ice's on another car before. Great winter tires, quiet and good handling as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts