2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any advice or idea where to find BLACK lug bolts for a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk? The wheels are black, but the lug bolts are chrome….WHY would Jeep do that? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
10,044 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
I thought a long time on this one and currently decided to keep the chrome ones. I don't think it looks too bad.

Reactions: praq1966

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
You can get PN 641-2188 from NAPA for $2 each.
Bare steel so they will rust but if you want to paint them you can.
19 mm head so the stock lug wrench will work.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
if your lug wrench is like my lug wrench you might want an after market wrench anyway, because bigger is better, especially on the side of the road. then who cares what size the bolt head is

I'm also a fan of a 6 point 1/2" drive impact socket w/ torque wrench. cuz redundancy is better, especially on the side of the road. just get the corresponding size socket for your bolts

question for the gang, does a torque wrench not quality as a breaker bar, because it has some flex to it?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Anybody have any advice or idea where to find BLACK lug bolts for a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk? The wheels are black, but the lug bolts are chrome….WHY would Jeep do that? 🤷🏼‍♂️
McGard has 19mm bolts in black, that's what I have, but they weren't easy to find, and I can't remember just where I ordered them from. Maybe it will come back to me, damn "Sometimheimers" CRS!!! It sucks getting old!!! I'll look through my maintenance and parts receipt folder, maybe I can find out...😎

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
if your lug wrench is like my lug wrench you might want an after market wrench anyway, because bigger is better, especially on the side of the road. then who cares what size the bolt head is

I'm also a fan of a 6 point 1/2" drive impact socket w/ torque wrench. cuz redundancy is better, especially on the side of the road. just get the corresponding size socket for your bolts

question for the gang, does a torque wrench not quality as a breaker bar, because it has some flex to it?
Sure, torque wrench is good for this ! Especially a model like that one, for breaker bar use.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
McGard has 19mm bolts in black, that's what I have, but they weren't easy to find, and I can't remember just where I ordered them from. Maybe it will come back to me, damn "Sometimheimers" CRS!!! It sucks getting old!!! I'll look through my maintenance and parts receipt folder, maybe I can find out...😎
Only one I can find on their site has a 17mm head : Black Cone Seat Style Lug Bolt (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) – Box of 50 Lug Bolts – McGard

Hmmm. I believe you on those 19mm ones, it'd just be nice to be able to find them (?!). Back to searching...lol

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Only one I can find on their site has a 17mm head : Black Cone Seat Style Lug Bolt (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) – Box of 50 Lug Bolts – McGard

Hmmm. I believe you on those 19mm ones, it'd just be nice to be able to find them (?!). Back to searching...lol
Guess what Mark, they are 17mm!!! Duh!!! I bought them before I had my Toyo's installed, had the tire shop put them on, and I've personally never put a socket on them until just now!!! I saw you post, and thought let me walk out and check, sure enough, 17mm. Good thing I didn't have a flat!!! Going right now to pick up a nice 6 point socket, and a breaker bar...LOL!!! Thanks for saving me a from a bad day on the side of the road!!!🤪😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
647 Posts
Sure, torque wrench is good for this ! Especially a model like that one, for breaker bar use.
I wouldn't use the clicker type of torque wrench as a breaker, had many a pawl snap. the beam type (like in the pic) should be fine, esp a 1/2" or 3/4 drive" one rated at least 100 ft/lbs..

·
Registered
893 Posts
That's the old style. I thought a long time on it and decided on the click style.

Reactions: Mark_ and rumrunner

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 214040

View attachment 214041
Using a torque wrench as a breaker bar will ruin your torque wrench, guaranteed. It’s partially due to the flex…the one in the picture in your message is unfortunately not a good torque wrench. This is mine and I love it. Had it for years.
Breaker bars are relatively inexpensive and a good torque wrench is not.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Clicker type for actually checking proper torque, beam type for use as a breaker bar. I just use a breaker bar and a good 6 point impact socket, then use the clicker to periodically retorque... 😎

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These should do nicely : 28mm Acorn Seat Lug Bolt 20pc Kit (Black) M12x1.25 | 17mm Hex | eBay

One point though : head is 17mm hex, so different from the [19mm] OEM head size. Only problem with this is the Jeep's wrench won't work. I have bolts with 17mm heads and carry a 1/2'' breaker bar with a 17mm deep socket.
Sold. Thank you very much! Yeah, I carry a 1/2” breaker bar and a deep socket so changing sockets in easy. I haven’t had the OEM jack or Jeep’s wrench since I got it lifted since the OEM jack wouldn’t even get the tires of the ground. 😎

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Clicker type for actually checking proper torque, beam type for use as a breaker bar. I just use a breaker bar and a good 6 point impact socket, then use the clicker to periodically retorque... 😎
I know mine is cheap cuz I was gonna get a new one but they're expensive
so the beam type I have is OK?

EDIT: nvr mind I see the other answers above

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Ok... I'll admit, I was a little enthusiastic about using a torque wrench as a breaker bar. In my [foggy] mind, such a use would be very rare, as in we rarely change a tire away from home (well, those of us who don't off-road... especially...). So yeah a beam type torque wrench will do as a breaker bar in a pinch, and double-up as, well (doh !) a torque wrench for emergencies. And yes, a breaker bar with an experienced hand does great as a torque wrench road-side lol.

I have a clicker torque wrench at home, would not carry it in the Jeep though (no need).

One thing I forgot to mention concerning 17mm head bolts : I have a 1/2'' breaker bar and also a 3/8'' drive socket set on board. I removed the supplied spark plug socket and stuffed a deep 17mm (3/8'') one instead, because a breaker bar is good for half turns, but a ratchet is much better/quicker for the rest of the job. In lieu of a deep 17mm socket, one could use a regular socket with an extension (if set contains one). For those of you wondering : a 5/8'' spark plug socket = 15.9mm, so it won't fit on the lug bolt... and not by much...

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Guess what Mark, they are 17mm!!! Duh!!! I bought them before I had my Toyo's installed, had the tire shop put them on, and I've personally never put a socket on them until just now!!! I saw you post, and thought let me walk out and check, sure enough, 17mm. Good thing I didn't have a flat!!! Going right now to pick up a nice 6 point socket, and a breaker bar...LOL!!! Thanks for saving me a from a bad day on the side of the road!!!🤪😎
Haha, all good. Yeah, McGard are the makers of our splendid OEM Mopar bolts (heh), so I was kinda surprised they would make a solid bolt (capless) with a 19mm head. Wish they did though, they would sell. We've been seeing solid 19mm head bolts showing up on eBay/Amazon in the last few years, but for now they are chrome only (or unfinished like the ones at Napa).

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Haha, all good. Yeah, McGard are the makers of our splendid OEM Mopar bolts (heh), so I was kinda surprised they would make a solid bolt (capless) with a 19mm head. Wish they did though, they would sell. We've been seeing solid 19mm head bolts showing up on eBay/Amazon in the last few years, but for now they are chrome only (or unfinished like the ones at Napa).
LOL!!! Ya, our crappy OEM bolts are probably 17mm without the stupid chrome caps...😎

Reactions: praq1966
1 - 20 of 45 Posts