2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not sure why having more torque would make it shift more often.? My 2.0T shifts much LESS often than my 3.2 did.... as in it holds gears. Unless you are talking about running out of gear at the 1/4mile drag strip.
Ageed!!! I didn't even run out of gear in a drag race, it actually grabbed 9th gear, and was still pulling like a beast at 90 through the lights in 15.2 in full auto shift. That's pretty damn impressive for a 4500# 4X4 SUV!!!

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Ageed!!! I didn't even run out of gear in a drag race, it actually grabbed 9th gear, and was still pulling like a beast at 90 through the lights in 15.2 in full auto shift. That's pretty damn impressive for a 4500# 4X4 SUV!!!
You never get close to hitting 9th i the 1/4 mile. You'd only be in 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile.......and 15.2 isn't that fast, my 3.2 was faster :)

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Torque envy??? LOL
I'll remember that when I'm towing my new boat!! LOL

·
Registered
442 Posts
I believe the jeep cherokee is the second most powerful 4 cylinder petrol single turbo SUV/crossover in the world, right below the mercedes GLA AMG, which was another car I had been looking at before the Cherokee. That engine is a monster btw. The S version gets 416 hp and 369 lb ft.

·
Registered
835 Posts
One thing I don't think anyone has brought up is packaging. The V6 is rather a large motor for that engine bay, and as such, has very tight clearances when working on it. It's certainly not trivial in doing a simple serpentine belt replacement, nor the same for replacing spark plugs. I can't comment on the 2.0t, but I'm fairly certain you don't have to remove the main coolant hose in order to change the serpentine belt, plus remove the intake manifold to change spark plugs.

As far as general reliability goes, I'm more curious in how the Direct Injection system for the 2.0t is in terms of where precisely the injectors are located. Some DI engines are directly overhead in the combustion chamber, while others are offset, but still in the chamber, which from the looks of it, has an effect on keeping carbon build up in check compared to other methods.

As far as power goes, everyone here is clutching at straws because torquey, or not, both engines provide PLENTY of get up and go for general use (>90% even I'd say), and drag times I think are overall irrelevant, although Tyler's experiments with the 3.2, as well as the transmission have shown it can be well matched if the programming is done right.

In terms of octane fuel, 87, 89, 91, whatever the case, both the 2.0t, and 3.2 will run on 87 perfectly fine (although I would recommend 91 if you're towing with the 2.0t), so the type of fuel I think is also irrelevant. Even crawl ratios are pretty close (48.3:1, and 51.2:1 for the V6, and 2.0t, respectively), and we already know even the 2.4L doesn't suffer in off-roading because of less torque.

As far as the Turbo itself, it's right there in the engine bay behind the radiator, so if there is a turbo failure, I'd be surprised if it's that difficult to replace it. Both engines are chain-driven, so you shouldn't have to worry about a timing chain failure. The only real wild card right now is overall reliability, and how robust the DI system is, and if it keep carbon build up in check.

So, in summary, the 3.2 Pentastar appears to be fairly stout in general reliability, although lack of clearances, and some dumb design choices make replacing certain parts more involved than they should be. The 2.0T, while much newer, should be easier to do general maintenance for simple things like spark plugs, and belts, but long-term reliability is an unknown.

I guess it really boils down to: Pick your poison.

Reactions: AZJeeper and Mark_

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think Tyler's point still stands though. I find it incredibly doubtful you'd ever reach top gear in the 1/4 mile with the 2.0T. I wonder if there's footage of someone doing just that, and we could figure this out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It didn't. That was a top speed "chip out" run. I think that is probably the only time I've ever seen 9th, and I think I backed out of it. They say chip out is 110, but mine was actually about 118, and surprisingly stable up there. I didn't spend much time up there without a VR or ZR speed rated tire!!! It was still pulling hard when it hit the chip though...

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
It didn't. That was a top speed "chip out" run. I think that is probably the only time I've ever seen 9th, and I think I backed out of it. They say chip out is 110, but mine was actually about 118, and surprisingly stable up there. I didn't spend much time up there without a VR or ZR speed rated tire!!! It was still pulling hard when it hit the chip though...
The speed limiter is 112mph on the trailhawk models....... You have a turbo you have 3.73 final drive ratio.

At 112mph you would be in 5th gear and doing 4752rpms

1st gear and 5000rpm (what the turbo shifts at) = 25mph
2nd gear at 5000rpm = 41mph
3rd gear at 5000rpm =62mph
4th gear at 5000rpm = 85mph
5th gear at 5000rpm = 118mph (which you cant so its only going to go to 112mph)

Depending on what the vehicle runs in the 1/4 mile it will be at the top of 4th maybe beginning of 5th.

My 3.2 V6 with 3.5 gears crossed the 1/4 mile at approx 5200rpm in 4th gear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got one of each, both 2019s trailhawks.. wife prefers the 3.2 as it is smoother and a bit quieter. I like the 2.0T as it seems spunkier and yet gets fairly good mileage and seems faster.. The down side is the 2.0T is a bit of a thrashing machine, yet it is better insulated and sounds like a rice burner at full throttle...easier to pass with... I also had a Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0T as it is essentially the same engine and it was as noisy and spunky..I traded the AR on the 2.0T Cherokee and I'm glad to have moved back to Jeep.. both have been reliable and I believe they will easily last till 100K. The fear of the transmission has long passed, I have not had any problems as I had when I owned a 2015..

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Kinda wish we had the 3.6 with the 8 speed trans...

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
The ZF-8, or whatever FCA calls it, is not even close to being a possibility for KLs. That 8-speed is for North-South layouts so it can be (and is) beefier, longer, doesn't need dog clutches, etc... like the East-West (transverse) configuration of a FWD platform. If you really want the 8-speed, you'll need to go GC or Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Yeah I understand that, but a guy can wish! LOL

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
835 Posts
I had a 2020 GC as a rental a couple weeks ago with the 3.6l, and 8 speed, and lets just say the transmission is LEAGUES better than the 9 speed in my Cherokee.

I do say though, the GC while isn't that much bigger on the outside, it feels massive on the inside, and I don't necessarily think of that as a good thing. I'm also not a big guy by any stretch, so the Cherokee feels about right for interior space. Plus, because it is a little smaller, it makes maneuvering with it a lot easier. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with most that as long you stay away from the 2.4 you will be fine. I test drove both and went with the 3.2. The price difference was not worth it IMO and I didn’t want to take a chance on a new turbo engine. Happy to see there have been no major issues with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm dunno about the 112mph limiter mine goes to 120 and still has more..maybe in the older models that was the limiter but not the new ones..19 and 20 models.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah there is a limiter in the new ones........Let me know when you can do 140mph....because that's what my 3.2 did with the speed limiter removed......
Stable and smooth as a baby's behind up there too, huh??? I'd be a little worried about those "nowhere near that speed" rated A/T tires at 140, or did you have the track set on there??? LOL!!!

41 - 60 of 73 Posts