2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would agree. A few years of no problems would make me a believer as well but for now we will see. No matter what though. Those fuel system components, just wait for the repair bill for one injector, or a worn turbo after 100k. More power and fun = more expensive, whether now or later

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well in 2019 & 20 the market share is so low for the 2T in N/A it looks like a very low demand from all the consumers I think FCA forecast around 15% and looking at the lots and what dealers say they are no way close to making that. But there’s a lot of those little egg beaters out there in the foreign market.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date April 2019

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yea if you keep the turbo spooled I'm sure it's a fun drive . Bet they are fun in sport mode too
It's not like that at all!!! It's not tuned anywhere close to "old school sportscar" turbo performance. You don't have to keep it "spooled up" at all. Low RPM, low end torque is where this engine shines. That's exactly what all the owners are talking about with improved drivability. Whether you are cruising down the Interstate at 85mph, or rock crawling in Moab, I've done both, throttle response, drivability, and control is exceptional in any and all driving conditions.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I noticing a trend here.. everyone with the 2.0 says they are both good engines.. everyone with the 3.2 says the 2.0 sucks? :unsure::unsure::unsure:
is it Torque envy?😁😁😁
Also 2.0T doesnt require premium fuel. I've run the vast majority of miles on mine with 87.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I noticing a trend here.. everyone with the 2.0 says they are both good engines.. everyone with the 3.2 says the 2.0 sucks? :unsure::unsure::unsure:
is it Torque envy?😁😁😁
Also 2.0T doesnt require premium fuel. I've run the vast majority of miles on mine with 87.
Definitely torque envy!!! LOL!!! Not to mention, they will all be smoked in an 1/8 mile, and still substantially behind in a 1/4 mile drag race, with the exception maybe of Tyler's 3.2...That might be a good race. What do you think @Tyler-98-W68??? LOL!!! Seriously, I've run mine head to head with my buddies 3.2 Trailhawk and he still hasn't gotten over it. I even backed off about the 1000 ft mark and he still couldn't pass me!!! Won me $100. It started as $50, then he just had to try again for double or nothing...All you V6 guys, put your money where your mouth is at the dragstrip...😎

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok so now we gone from good/reliability engines to drag racing. If you like your V6 or 4 banger hey enjoy it. No need to try and play the other one down. So you got more torque than me if you have the 2.0T hey good for you. Am I jealous? Nope. I like the V6 it drives great and never had any problems with it. Mine goes as fast as I need and doesn't bog down. I'm not a turbo lover so could really care less. I watched enough Fearless Trailhawk videos to know our V6 can do almost anything. Hope you sleep better at night knowing your faster in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not trying to make anyone jealous or start any $hit, they are both great powerplants. Like I said previously, I was completely adamant that I wasn't buying the turbo, and I ended up with it, and having driven both, I'm glad I went against my own conscience. It continues to impress the hell out of me. I've never been a 4 banger guy, I'm a supercharged V8 guy. LOL!!!

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
is it Torque envy?😁😁😁
That's a negative for me : I was the first to reply, I have a V6, and didn't bash the 2.0T, heh 😋

I knew this thread would take on a life of its own. Just as good as an oil or octane thread, haha.

OP : like i said in my original reply, the choice is yours ! Good luck. Grab some popcorn, the party isn't over yet here...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hellcat-Hellcrate-engine-68303089AA.jpg
Oh wait, that was the wrong manufacturer, let's try this one.
Not coming to a Jeep dealer near you, not introducing the all new KL Cherokee Hellhawk!!! LOL

·
Registered
809 Posts
Both engines are solid. I ended up going with the 2.0t. due to better drivability. So far, I’ve not burned any oil, which was one concern I had based on the reports from the 2.4L. As it turns out the 2.0 has nothing in common with that engine.

I really don’t hear turbo whine, but under hard acceleration the engine is a bit louder than the 3.2 V6.
Mileage can be excellent. I’ve had tanks of mostly freeway driving that were better than 33 mpg measured.
The downside is that those numbers plummet rapidly if you’ve got your foot in the pedal.
The upside is the turbo is a blast to drive.
The 3.2 has proven reliability, but the 2.0t is building a record of good performance as well.
Again, you really cannot go wrong with either choice.
Thats impressive millage I've gotten 28 even 30 mpg out of my 3.2 Trailhawk but the 30 was using the adaptive cruise control on an all freeway trip. But I've gotten 28 mpg out of the 3.2 going over the mountain pass which is mostly 2 lain highway driving with stretches of city . And thats with going from close to sea-level to 4,000 feet.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I really really was looking forward to the turbo engine in the KL but ended up being pretty disappointed. Yes i've driven 2 Turbo trailhawks and while there is a difference in low end torque off the line initially, I found the power to taper off quickly and with such a low redline it shifts a lot more often. The V6 on the other hand has a softer launch but feels more like a slingshot and doesn't lose steam as the speed and rpms rise (it gets stronger and stronger)

From a roll it's pretty much a wash, the turbo needs a split second to spool up, the V6 just goes.

The turbo would be a vastly superior engine in the Cherokee IF they fixed the tuning, simply put the tuning is what holds back the turbo engine. The Alfa Romeo Stelvio weighs the same as a Cherokee, has nearly the same hp/tq (slightly more) but is MUCH MUCH faster in all performance metrics.

Sadly I don't see any real tuning options coming for the KL anytime soon (or at all) that said if I was buying another Cherokee tomorrow it would have the turbo engine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well it’s nice to see guys like Mark and Desoto have analyzed the discussion and probobly have most of us figured out with our comments. I admit to stirring the pot strictly for the entertainment and waiting for a few people to get into a Clint Eastwood the Good Bad and Ugly shootout.
Yep there both great and fun to drive and get a bunch of Jeep Waves.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date April 2019

·
Registered
428 Posts
I really really was looking forward to the turbo engine in the KL but ended up being pretty disappointed. Yes i've driven 2 Turbo trailhawks and while there is a difference in low end torque off the line initially, I found the power to taper off quickly and with such a low redline it shifts a lot more often. The V6 on the other hand has a softer launch but feels more like a slingshot and doesn't lose steam as the speed and rpms rise (it gets stronger and stronger)

From a roll it's pretty much a wash, the turbo needs a split second to spool up, the V6 just goes.

The turbo would be a vastly superior engine in the Cherokee IF they fixed the tuning, simply put the tuning is what holds back the turbo engine. The Alfa Romeo Stelvio weighs the same as a Cherokee, has nearly the same hp/tq (slightly more) but is MUCH MUCH faster in all performance metrics.

Sadly I don't see any real tuning options coming for the KL anytime soon (or at all) that said if I was buying another Cherokee tomorrow it would have the turbo engine.
I don't see that lag Tyler. Maybe just a nanosecond if ever, and that's only say from a second gear, 15-20mph roll. As for the shifting, during a hard acceleration, I mean floored, in auto, non sport mode, it shifts flawlessly around 4000-4500 hard, with solid pull, and no lag. It seems to have even gotten better, the more miles she gets. The computer is learning driving habits...LOL From about 1600-4500 it's a pulling beast now. You and I have talked about it, that Stelvio tune would be awesome, but I think it might hurt the slower offloading performance. Like I said, the more I drive it, the more it impresses me. I think they actually got the tune pretty close for all around "Cherokee" performance. I'm curious about any tune differences between the KL and the JK. I talked to a lot of hardcore JK guys when I was out in Moab, and they were all pretty impressed as well.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
The computer really doesn't learn as much as what people think, it has 86 different shift patterns and it only uses a few of them most times. When the turbo stops pulling at 4500rpm, the V6 still have 2000rpm more to go.

You can't hurt slow offroad performance regardless of engine choice. The torque multiplication in 4-low because of the high crawl ratio makes engines choice irrelevant, the Trailhawk with the 2.4 with only 171ft/lbs of torque has zero issues offroad and no owners ever complain it doesn't have enough power in 4-low.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The computer really doesn't learn as much as what people think, it has 86 different shift patterns and it only uses a few of them most times. When the turbo stops pulling at 4500rpm, the V6 still have 2000rpm more to go.

You can't hurt slow offroad performance regardless of engine choice. The torque multiplication in 4-low because of the high crawl ratio makes engines choice irrelevant, the Trailhawk with the 2.4 with only 171ft/lbs of torque has zero issues offroad and no owners ever complain it doesn't have enough power in 4-low.
Looks like it’s boiling down to people that either prefer low end or high end vehicle

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm not sure why having more torque would make it shift more often.? My 2.0T shifts much LESS often than my 3.2 did.... as in it holds gears. Unless you are talking about running out of gear at the 1/4mile drag strip.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts