2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
I run 87, 90% of the time.
I also voted with my wallet trading my 2017 3.2 on a 2019 2.0T.

Words such as highly stressed dont tell the whole picture the 3.2 doesnt have sodium filled exhaust valves for example.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,340 Posts
I run 87, 90% of the time.
I also voted with my wallet trading my 2017 3.2 on a 2019 2.0T.

Words such as highly stressed dont tell the whole picture the 3.2 doesnt have sodium filled exhaust valves for example.
Sodium filled valves cool much better, in the racing community, we call those "Saltshaker Valves". Started out on WWII era air cooled aircraft engines, then gravitated to the air cooled motorcycle world. In the 30's, Mercedes actually experimented with Mercury filled valves!!!😎

·
Registered
156 Posts
'This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing'

Let me get this straight-if the weather is hot premium is recommended/ if I am going to tow, premium is recommended/if I am going to put a luggage pod on top, premium is recommended/ If I am going off road, premium is recommended...

What do I do if I want to all of the above while the weather is hot-put in race fuel , Ut-Oh, what if I am leaving someplace cold going to some place hot. ????

·
Registered
156 Posts
If I put helium in my tires will my Cherokee be lighter, have better ground clearance, and go faster??

Sorry, just busting some b**ls...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on which engine and expected ambient temp (only in celsius)/dew point and elevation-in meters of course.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
756 Posts
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
naturally the use of a catch can skews the data somewhat
Good thing I got one of these, I'd hate to have to catch the bus to catch up to you guys burning up the pavement in your KL's!!! No catch can required!!!🏁🤘😮😎

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Not to mention plasma coated rings, sand cast block, and liquid cooled intake and exhaust. I feel I got my moneys worth. I can detect no seat of the pants difference in performance between 89 and 91. I don't know what the HP would be for the 2.0 if there was no turbo charghing. Coming from a 2.4 Cherokee, I detect no performance difference between my 2.4 and the 2.0 when not in boost mode, which is quite often with my commuting area.
If the 3.2 was the only option, I would go for it. But I usually like to depart from the mass choices, and have something a little different.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
But, I would be up for a game of follow the leader on the trail in Moab in the KL's!!!🤣😂😎🏁

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Good thing I got one of these, I'd hate to have to catch the bus to catch up to you guys burning up the pavement in your KL's!!! No catch can required!!!🏁🤘😮😎
You could have got a Dodge Demon! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The guy with the least amount of Trail Rash is the winner!!!🏁😉

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You could have got a Dodge Demon! :ROFLMAO:
No thanks, those things only go straight!!! I'm like 6-0 by a mile on the road course against those, and like 3-1 in the 1/8 mile, and that loss was because the guy was running slicks, and he only beat me by 0.2...Demons do put on a great smoke show though...LOL!!!😎🏁

·
Registered
307 Posts
Let me get this straight-if the weather is hot premium is recommended/ if I am going to tow, premium is recommended/if I am going to put a luggage pod on top, premium is recommended/ If I am going off road, premium is recommended...
Since your entire argument seems to be based on gas grades -- and on a distorted conception of the octane requirements of the 2.0T at that -- no wonder this thread refuses to die. "It doesn't matter what the turbo engine may have going for it; I've heard that you have to use that nasty high-octane jet fuel whether you like it or not!"

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
'This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing'

What do I do if I want to all of the above while the weather is hot-put in race fuel , Ut-Oh, what if I am leaving someplace cold going to some place hot. ????
Please continue to show your great knowledge instead of guessing about everything related to octane and the turbo engine.

Since I like to deal with facts and data consider this. I have a 2014 5.7 Grand Cherokee. Owners manual states i can run 87 as acceptable but 89 recommended. So instead of feelings and opinions I decided to test it out.

Here is data logging with HP tuners going down the highway running 87 octane. Notice the little bit of engine knock (its not bad but its there) and lots of timing being pulled

Now here is the same stretch of highway using 89 octane, notice there is still a bit of knock but much less and the timing is much less retarded.

If you want your vehicle to constantly be pulling timing and not making the advertised power and torque (because people buy the turbo for it's additional torque) what's the point of having the engine if its not going to run in top performance?

To answer you questions about operating a vehicle where it is cold and then hot. You do realize that just because its "cold" outside doesn't mean its going to be "cold" under the hood. Turbos = heat and produce lots of it so there can be lots of heatsoak under the hood. There are PCM timing/fueling parameters based on how "hot" or "cold" an engine is but that doesn't change the fact the proper octane is needed for optimal performance

241 - 260 of 288 Posts