2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Best Product to Clean/Protect Leather?

24K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  cherokee 
#1 ·
Was recently informed that the standard Armor All that I have been using on other vehicles helps to dry out the leather faster. So, does anyone have any favorite leather cleaning/protecting products?

#2 ·
Yes, keep the Armor All far far away from the leather, contains silicone.

I've used Lexol for years, cleaner and conditioner. Not expensive and available in most parts stores.

As long as you use a good cleaner and conditioner once or twice a year it's worth it.

There is more expensive, and Beemer and MB owners all have their choices/preferences. Trust me, if your board go read one of their forums, they can argue this stuff for days on end.

#5 ·
I've used Lexol for years, cleaner and conditioner. Not expensive and available in most parts stores.

As long as you use a good cleaner and conditioner once or twice a year it's worth it.
This^

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Coconut Oil! But the temperature has to be above 50 to make it actually absorb. :)

#7 ·
Would not recommend that. While it has a pretty long shelf life relatively speaking, it still will spoil/go rancid...

#11 ·
usually its the sides/non-seating areas
i dont think it will hurt it (ive used it in the past all over on my leather/vinyl seats with no adverse affects)...lexol does make vinylex too for vinyl

No, I would not use it on the dash

#13 ·
Lanolin is the key ingredient (but not for the plastic surfaces). I go for any Maguiar product. Let it get good and hot in the sun and massage it in... wipe off the excess in a few moments, buff after it is dry. I do the interior separately from the exterior (which should be done in shade) and with sheet metal cool.

Some controversy on shiny protectants on the dash turning them into reflections- use some caution here.

#17 ·
All my rides get Zaino products inside and out. For leather I use the Z-10 leather in a bottle product. All of my vehicles (cars and motos) look like they're close to showroom condition when I sell them. The stuff seriously works all over -- from scorching Dallas summers to cold Sierra winters.

#19 ·
Any product that moisturizes the leather will help to hide scratches. The key word there is "hide". Scratched leather is scratched leather. I don't think you can remove the scratches, just mask them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#23 ·
A. Based on what I have seen on this site, my plan is to use: 1. 303 Aerospace on vinyl/fake leather, plastic headlight cover, tires, and black rubber/plastic. 2. Zaino on real leather part of seats. 3. Mopar Total Clean for removing interior and exterior stains. Sound right?
B. What parts of the Cheerokee leather seats, front and back are real leather and what part vinyl? (I have the ventilated Napa leather that comes with the luxury package).
C. Will any of this stuff pose a problem for/block the holes in the seats that are use to ventilate them? I can imagine a heavy cream or wax getting in the holes and hardening, thus closing the holes. Is this a likely problem?

#24 ·
You can use the Zaino leather cleaner / conditioner on any part of the seat. Even the 'leather' in most cars (except super high-end) is a bonded leather, meaning it's got a lot of fillers in it. So it's as close to vinyl as it is leather. Zaino and other car leather products are formulated for this - not for top-grain leather. Use the spray first (you'll love the smell) and then the cream just occasionally. As far as the perforated parts, I've always not worried about spraying them (two mists will do the entire seat) at all and then with the cream, just put a dab on a MF and spread it evenly across the MF. Then gently wipe the perforated parts. It keeps it from pooling but still applies it.

#25 ·
I just picked up Lexol cleaner and conditioner and used it on my leather seats in my Limited with Luxory group, which has the premium leather seats (whatever that means). An area that was really starting to show a few cracks now looks almost good as new! I was concerned it would only get worse, but the lexol did wonders.

#26 ·
How do you prefer to clean the leather steering wheel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.