2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few months I've had a loud squeak coming from the engine, lasts my whole drive to work (about 18km) before it starts to quiet down. Finally took it in today and they've advised me its the belt tensioner (or idler pulley, now I can't remember, haven't picked it up yet so I haven't seen the paperwork). My question is, I only have 64,000km on my 2014 2.4l Cherokee, shouldn't this be a part of the powertrain warranty? The engine has just broken in it's still like new, why am I having to pay for this? I baby this vehicle.

Anyone else have similar experiences or is able to help me out with advice? I've had nothing but bad luck with my Cherokee and I'm one step closer to trading it in for a non Chrysler product. Ugh :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
You would think it would be covered. It's not a belt, hose, plug or wire. I might call FCA or contact Jeep Cares. Utter nonsense that a dealer says it's not covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright just confirmed it's the Idler pulley... They've ordered the part in but they haven't noted it on my paperwork, just states "parts ordered". Is the idler pulley not covered? Seems like it should be.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Copied this from Jeep powertrain warranty. It says the serpentine belt tensioner is included.

Gasoline Engine:
cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head
assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears
and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump
and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel
with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan;
turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger
wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt ten-
sioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Yikes, just outside the 3 yr / 60.000 Km basic warranty...

Both of these have been problematic on the KL (remember the squealing threads in winter).

My limited understanding of a powertrain warranty is : if it touches any oil/grease, it's covered. Idler pulley could be exempt, I'm afraid...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes unfortunately I'm just outside the basic warranty. I had the sound in the winter too but never thought to take it in as it went away on the warmer days. Every warranty manual for Jeep and Chrysler list that the belt tensioner is covered under powertrain, why the idler pulley isn't is beyond me, they're practically beside each other.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got off the phone with FCA Canada, after explaining the problem they were unable to help and advised I would have to cover the cost.

So fyi... idler pulleys aren't covered under the power train warranty, but the belt tensioner is. In what world does this make sense.

Thanks chrysler.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just got off the phone with FCA Canada, after explaining the problem they were unable to help and advised I would have to cover the cost.

So fyi... idler pulleys aren't covered under the power train warranty, but the belt tensioner is. In what world does this make sense.

Thanks chrysler.

Maybe they see it as something attached to the engine/power train like alternators and starters.

I would think this could be standard throughout much of the industry with 3yr bumper to bumper warranties.

It doesn't sit right with me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Had the idler pulley replaced on Thursday (cost $178 total), Friday morning I start it up and the same squeak is there. What are the chances the piece that's making the squeak would have been covered under warranty. I don't feel right about this. Going to be calling the dealership back on Monday.

·
Registered
171 Posts
sounds like they didn't verify it was the idler pulley, and just guessed. Tell them to put the old one back and replace the part that is really squeaking. Maybe it will be under warranty this time. Don't pay them until you verify its fixed. As a side note, I have repaired squeaking pulleys on my last 2 cars by removing the dust cap on the bearing that is squeaking (hahahaha) and packing it full of new grease. Ghetto repair, yes, but it held for years after, and I didn't have to waste time at the dealer...and I fixed it!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Some are very difficult to properly diagnose due to the short duration of the noise. Some have required Water Pump, Tensioner and Idler.
The few that I was able to isolate the cause, were from a cold start in the lot with stethoscope ready. If I drove it into the shop, the noise would be gone.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Update:

After leaving the Cherokee at the dealership for the day they now tell me that the belt tensioner is the culprit and have ordered the part. Surprisingly this time it's covered under warranty, but I'm still out the $178 I paid for the idler puller which wasnt the issue. Anyone have any ideas on how I could go about getting my money back? Or if it's possible? It just doesn't sit right with me. I mentioned I don't feel its fair I have to pay for a part that wasn't the cause of my issue and didn't fix the problem I brought it in for, their response is that the idler pulley still needed to be replaced as it had some dirt in it and some resistance and that could have caused it. In my opinion they replaced a part due to an improper diagnosis and that shouldn't be at my cost. The idler pulley is literally the only part ON THE ENGINE that isn't covered under the Powertrain warranty. Sure it may have needed to be replaced at some point but it didn't fix the sound I brought it in for, that idler puller was causing me no problems. And for them to jump to replacing a part that they'll make money off, vs attempting to replace the pieces covered under warranty first disgruntles me. Honestly, pick any part on a 3 year old vehicle and you can easily come up with an excuse as to why it should be replaced, I think that was the case here. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask for the original part back when it was replaced so I can't see the condition it's in for myself, I trusted them that the problem was resolved.

The service advisor told me he would speak to the service manager and get back to me about trying to make things better but I doubt I'll get anything out of it.

Sincerely,
Extremely displeased Jeep owner.

·
Registered
376 Posts
That is the stealership for you. Screw you out of every dollar to make their pockets fatter. I would demand that labor be free, that way you are just out the cost of the part?? Or contact JeepCares and see if she can help.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
JeepCares don't cover Canada.

That sucks man... Of course they can say anything they want. Problem is the tech didn't hear the noise so he guessed idler pulley (like flipping a coin, 50/50 it's that or the tensioner). Not being customer friendly, they picked the one that wasn't covered and now they're hiding behind excuses... They pay FCA upfront for parts they order, and FCA won't hear about parts wrongly ordered... so the dealership pays. Well, you pay for their mistake.

The TSB for the winter squeal says to replace both, I think. If it's any consolation, you're likely better Off with a new idler pulley, since there may have been a problem with the original ones. Just too bad it wasn't done under warranty...

Maybe meet them half way and ask for a free oil change (synthetic) and tire rotation. I'm sure they can do that, at least...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JeepCares don't cover Canada.

That sucks man... Of course they can say anything they want. Problem is the tech didn't hear the noise so he guessed idler pulley (like flipping a coin, 50/50 it's that or the tensioner). Not being customer friendly, they picked the one that wasn't covered and now they're hiding behind excuses... They pay FCA upfront for parts they order, and FCA won't hear about parts wrongly ordered... so the dealership pays. Well, you pay for their mistake.

The TSB for the winter squeal says to replace both, I think. If it's any consolation, you're likely better Off with a new idler pulley, since there may have been a problem with the original ones. Just too bad it wasn't done under warranty...

Maybe meet them half way and ask for a free oil change (synthetic) and tire rotation. I'm sure they can do that, at least...
I would understand if the tech was just guessing, but I was told that he actually heard the noise and identified it as the idler pulley. The receipt from my diagnostic visit doesn't say idler pulley specifically but it says the noise was identified and parts were ordered. I believed them so I authorized them to do the repair, either that or I would have been stuck paying the diagnostic fee which was basically the cost of the labor. Had they of diagnosed it correctly to begin with it would have been at zero cost to me. :(

I looked into the winter TSB, unfortunately it doesn't apply to the 2.4l engine, unless there's one I may have missed.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I would understand if the tech was just guessing, but I was told that he actually heard the noise and identified it as the idler pulley. The receipt from my diagnostic visit doesn't say idler pulley specifically but it says the noise was identified and parts were ordered. I believed them so I authorized them to do the repair, either that or I would have been stuck paying the diagnostic fee which was basically the cost of the labor. Had they of diagnosed it correctly to begin with it would have been at zero cost to me. :(

I looked into the winter TSB, unfortunately it doesn't apply to the 2.4l engine, unless there's one I may have missed.
Right, the memory of that TSB I have was probably targetting the 3.2...

The tech obviously didn't hear it properly ; he either thought he heard it from the idler pulley, or he guessed but told the advisor (and you), smart a$$-style. With nothing written down, he knows it's his word against yours. Was the advisor present when the tech said that ? If so, try to squeeze it out of him and make him meet you half way... Or perhaps you should speak to the service manager yourself, the sooner the better, and insist the tech told you idler pulley was causing the noise. The advisor can't rule on anything like this, so best to speak with someone who can...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update:

Picked the Cherokee up from the dealership with the belt tensioner replaced. The best they could do for my troubles was a free oil change, meh. On the drive home, check engine light came on and I had noticed the shifting feeling a little out of place. Great. I plugged in my scan tool and its reading as P0325 Knock Sensor. Anyone happen to know the location of the knock sensor on these 2.4l tigersharks? I'd be curious to see if its connected properly.

I had the S55 recall done during the diagnosis last week and had noticed the shifting feeling a little off, after looking into it apparently this is common, but a couple times it's held 2nd gear far too long, and there have been quite a few rough up and down shifts, it almost feels like I just bought my Cherokee all over again.

Left a message with my Service Advisor about the check engine light (didnt mention the knock sensor and I'm not sure if I should), I will be following up with him on Monday regarding whether the squeak noise has been resolved.

I'm getting pretty tired of this :( at least its the weekend, but my road trip to the US is cancelled.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
.... Anyone happen to know the location of the knock sensor on these 2.4l tigersharks? I'd be curious to see if its connected properly.
wpgguy, here's a page from the shop manual on the 2.4L:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wpgguy, here's a page from the shop manual on the 2.4L:

Thank you! I'll have to pull it up on the ramps tomorrow when it's cool and have a look then.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I couldn't find the knock sensor, but I went to check the oil and noticed my dip stick is jammed against the airbox. I think the engine is sitting a little low on the passenger side. Definitely wasn't like this when I brought it in as I check the oil weekly. This really doesn't sit right with me.

In my previous experience a broken motor mount can trip a knock sensor due to the excessive vibration, knock sensor would probably be covered under the Powertrain warranty but the motor mount they'd be making money off me. :/!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.