2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I have been thinking about ways to protect the rims for a long time and I just ran across something online called a beadlock conversion. Depending on the rim, there are places out there that can cut off part of it and add beadlocks, or drill holes for adding beadlock plates, etc. I'm wondering if this could be done on the trailhawk rims.

I don't necessarily want beadlocks, more interested in being able to screw/bolt on a plate to protect the rims when offroad. I think this idea might work, assuming it doesn't jeapordize the integrity/strength of the wheel. Drilling holes into the rim like below (see red dots I marked):

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
161 Posts
Drilling holes in the rim definitely sounds sketchy... but maybe its OK strength-wise. Even if it is, though, are you really going to put some goofy plates on your rims while off-roading to try to protect the paint/finish? Seems twitty, and I mean that coming from myself who is a person about as twitty as you can get with most things. Are you also going to do a lower-half or full vinyl wrap on the body in case a stick rubs a tiny scratch into your paint? (I'm channeling the sarcasm I feel like my buddies would say to me if I pitched the same idea to them).

If you go off-road, stuff gets scratched. Thats kinda just how it is (isn't it?)

Putting the widest tires you can get with sidewall lugs that stick out far enough to protect the rim as much as possible, is what comes to my mind when I think of worrying about the finish on the rims off-road. Or get a second set of plain steel rims you don't care about (then you can have a comfortable, stylish street set and an agressive off-road set that rides like crap on the highway).

Just my two cents. Interesting idea either way.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
644 Posts
What about those RimBlades, alloy wheel protectors? Not sure if they will work or not, but you won't have to worry about the structural integrity of the wheel.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
You need to do better at searching

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to do better at searching

I thought it would be obvious when I said "trailhawk rims" that I only wanted to use the specific wheels pictured above. Apparently not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Putting holes through the wheel is going to drastically change the way that loads and forces travel through the metal. Seems like a bad idea to me.

I assume your Jeep also travels on the road too. Even if it's fine initially, there's no way of knowing how a couple years of vibration might stress the weakened wheel, and it would really suck to find out it wasn't okay while doing 80 on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting holes through the wheel is going to drastically change the way that loads and forces travel through the metal. Seems like a bad idea to me.

I assume your Jeep also travels on the road too. Even if it's fine initially, there's no way of knowing how a couple years of vibration might stress the weakened wheel, and it would really suck to find out it wasn't okay while doing 80 on the interstate.
That is definitely a concern of mine, as these are not forged wheels. It may be best to consult an expert on it.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
644 Posts
The MFC beadlock wheel starts looking better all the time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The OCD in me is annoyed that they couldn't match the bolt pattern to the rim pattern. 24 bolts on a 5 spoke rim?!?! add one more bolt and the pattern would match up with the spokes and be symmetrical!!!! :'(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts