2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Hey, Tyler is never wrong. Well, actually he thought he was wrong once, but he was mistaken. ;)
Then lets see the smart alternator charging on your 2019 Cherokee then, why have all the examples to date been of Wrangler JL's

Here is a 2021 3.2 Cherokee Trailhawk. Voltage never goes into the 12v range or low 13v range unless it's during an ESS event

I also just did a 2 hour road trip and never saw anything other than 13.9-14.0v so where is this smart alternator charging?

Here is another video showing about a 20 minute drive, but sped up........notice the voltage in the 14's with very little charging current.....totally normal behavior.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
You are so big on proof I will need to see proof that 99.99% of KL’s do not have this feature. I will need build number by year, along with VIN numbers.
If I have used the battery a lot it may stay at 14.4 volts for 3-4 days, if it stays parked for awhile it may stay at 14.4 volts. I think the battery was not fully charged when it was installed so it took a few days to charge it.
It really blows my mind that I can support what my Jeep does along with a star report but you still say it does not have it. A forum is for learning and to find out new things, for some.
You keep showing me video’s of YOUR Jeep and that is great but I am telling you that after great effort I found out that some Jeep KL’s have smart charging. The only proof you can provide that they don’t is a sample of 2 and your opinion.
I really want you opinion on how my Jeep charges identical to the star report??

You sir do not like admitting when you may be wrong. I have been wrong a lot in my life but I don’t think I am with this one. I will be waiting for you to get hard facts on 99.99% of those Jeeps, you can just do the MY year 2020 and 2021.

I see no one(including you) was able to give proof of smart alternator charging on a Cherokee just a bunch of speculation and talk about wranglers. Well today i'm here to post PROOF of smart alternator charging on........you guessed it. A wrangler. I have a 2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe, and as usual i've been monitoring the battery and a bunch of other things. Until today the battery voltage would always stay between 13.8-14.3v while "running" I noticed this morning during a drive my voltage was 13.2v and then after I parked and started doing some logging 12.7v all while the vehicle was running. This voltage is exactly what would occur if the alternator was "smart charging"

The only time this lower voltage smart charging happens is if the SOC of the 12v battery is above 90% or in the case of today my 12v battery is at 100% SOC

Here is the voltage with a SOC at 84% showing the "normal" high charging voltage

here is the SOC at 100%

There is even times where it shows the alternator doesn't even charge the battery and allows it to discharge for a short period of time

Next is a video showing real time the current going in and out of the battery, you see some drops as I'm toggling the heated seats and steering wheel to put a load on the system to see how the IBS reacts.

So to recap. Wranglers have smart alternator charging, and no one has made video proof showing the IBS current and SOC on a Cherokee KL showing smart alternator charging

·
Registered
596 Posts
I see no one(including you) was able to give proof of smart alternator charging on a Cherokee just a bunch of speculation and talk about wranglers. Well today i'm here to post PROOF of smart alternator charging on........you guessed it. A wrangler. I have a 2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe, and as usual i've been monitoring the battery and a bunch of other things. Until today the battery voltage would always stay between 13.8-14.3v while "running" I noticed this morning during a drive my voltage was 13.2v and then after I parked and started doing some logging 12.7v all while the vehicle was running. This voltage is exactly what would occur if the alternator was "smart charging"

The only time this lower voltage smart charging happens is if the SOC of the 12v battery is above 90% or in the case of today my 12v battery is at 100% SOC

Here is the voltage with a SOC at 84% showing the "normal" high charging voltage

here is the SOC at 100%

There is even times where it shows the alternator doesn't even charge the battery and allows it to discharge for a short period of time

Next is a video showing real time the current going in and out of the battery, you see some drops as I'm toggling the heated seats and steering wheel to put a load on the system to see how the IBS reacts.

So to recap. Wranglers have smart alternator charging, and no one has made video proof showing the IBS current and SOC on a Cherokee KL showing smart alternator charging
This ain't a wrangler forum :unsure:

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I call it the prick filter (oops).

• Haha
Reactions: Rand

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
So then show me battery charging current data like I have from your cherokee proving your case. You still haven't done that yet and there is still zero proof KLs have smart alternator charging.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My god do you like hearing yourself talk

Youre the only one here who is fiercly engaged on this ground war of yours,

Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions collective punishment is considered a war crime. "No general penalty, pecuniary or otherwise, shall be inflicted upon the population on account of the acts of individuals for which they cannot be regarded as jointly and severally responsible."

i
f you take this seriously I will cry

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
This ain't a wrangler forum :unsure:
That's right, but because the KL doesn't support smart alternator charging and Wranglers do I figured I'd post real world data to show how smart alternator charging works.

To recap like i've said all along
1. Alternator voltage on the KL is based on temperature and is controlled by the PCM/BCM
2. KL's don't support smart alternator charging as tested with my 2021 3.2 KL
3. No one can give a single piece of data to support smart charging on a Cherokee KL
4. I updated this post to show the behavior of smart alternator charging to make it easy for someone to reference how smart charging works so they could prove me wrong.

So, smart charging occurs when the SOC as measured by the IBS is greater than 90%
If that's the case why did my tests and videos with my 2021 Cherokee show a SOC of 92% and the same high voltage charging that vehicles without smart alternator charging does? Looking for a real answer here no bullshit excuse.

I then had a chance to do some longer extended testing to show how the smart charging works long term when the SOC is high enough to enable the feature.

What you see is the voltage around 12.6-12.7 and it stays there. In fact what you are seeing is that when the SOC gets high enough the battery actually is being slightly discharged. In some cases the alternator is not charging the battery at all (when the current to the IBS is high and negative) showing a 40-60amp draw. Then the alternator starts providing current but just enough to slowly drain down the battery around 4amps of discharge. Then when the SOC gets low enough the alternator kicks in and provides a large amount of amperage (over 100amps at certain points) and then stops charging when the SOC get to a higher value. This cycle happens over and over providing the SOC is above 90%.

This is very clear data and information this behavior is NOT seen on a Cherokee and the Cherokee KL does NOT support alternator charging until someone measures the IBS and shows this exact behavior, why is that such a hard concept to grasp for some people? I get it though these days people read someone and it has to be right. No children facts/data/testing don't lie.

I challenge someone to grab J-scan, or OBDlink and prove smart alternator charging exists i'll even paypal you $50.

It's weird that @MikeR. did a log of OBDlink and his cherokee didn't have smart alternator charging nor did his voltage ever drop like it should if he had Smart Alternator charging.

My god do you like hearing yourself talk

Youre the only one here who is fiercly engaged on this ground war of yours,

Under the 1949 Geneva Conventions collective punishment is considered a war crime. "No general penalty, pecuniary or otherwise, shall be inflicted upon the population on account of the acts of individuals for which they cannot be regarded as jointly and severally responsible."

i
f you take this seriously I will cry
Don't you have some makeup to put on your battery so it looks better, or maybe on your car or something, thanks for trying troll you have posted nothing meaningful. But since you think you are a wealth of information prove me wrong.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
LMAO... It's a conspiracy. Small green creatures (pun intended) are controlling the world... Don't believe a printed word from any car manufacturer, because Forum God says they're lying :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Fair enough ONLY 2.4 Cherokees 2019+ support smart alternator charging, V6 and turbo models do not.
LMAO... It's a conspiracy. Small green creatures (pun intended) are controlling the world... Don't believe a printed word from any car manufacturer, because Forum God says they're lying :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thought you had me blocked........guess not right.......

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Say this. 2020 Cherokee in CANADA 2.4 engine

There is no smart alternator charging for KL's built for sale in Canada.....

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
And finally a 2021 2.4 Cherokee built for Canada.

KL's built for Canada do not have smart alternator charging

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
It's interesting though I just pulled up a US market 2020 Cherokee 2.4, no smart alternator charging on it????

121 - 140 of 143 Posts