2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

Would you look at that, instead of theories and trying to think the vehicle has some fancy regen feature.......it doesn't. Simply monitor the IBS and that will tell you 99% of the time what kind of issue you are looking at whether it's battery or charging system related.
Also of note is the last paragraph, large amounts of charging current delivered after an ESS event if the battery is low, this mirrors exactly the behavior i've been able to monitor on my vehicle.
Does all this mean that in your opinion my vehicle does not have a smart alternator with SAM charging? I am decent at working on cars but when it come to electrical I am a no go lol. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/00/00/42879232-6E7A-46BD-99E3-4CB68FA17637/Jeep%20smart%20charging%20system-MC-10175657-9999.pdf
I wonder how many times I need to tell people that voltage does not indicate whether the battery is charging or not!!!!!

Example

14.2v charging at 22 amps

14.2v charging at 111amps

So can someone explain to me how they can assume based on voltage that the battery is charging or not? You can't

Just because someone is a tech at a dealer doesn't mean they are the authority on how things works. They follow procedures set out by Stellantis. There is no fancy regen feature, there is no clutch in the alternator, its giving the same resistance and spins at the same speed as the engine does (the idler pulley).
I have been given info from a “STAR” report about when Jeep implemented the smart charging on Cherokee and GC vehicles. I think the star report number is s2008000031. Also heavy ESS will cause my Jeep to say above 14 volts be it charging or not. I took my Jeep in for a second opinion and I am happy, I have nothing more to add. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
Reactions: Ocracokenc

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
Double (removed)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well, that confirms it! Nice to have that piece of hard documentation.

What is not clear in the STAR publication is if it's the alternator or PCM that is doing the smarts, or if something changed in 2021 models. Given that 1) the data from the service manual states it's the PCM controlling the charge, and 2) the part numbers for the alternator are identical from 2014 thru 2021, it is clear that it's the PCM doing the heavy lifting.

Case closed?

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
The example given was not a KL so im inclined to believe that nothing has changed in regards to the KL platform and battery charging. One way to find out monitor the IBS,

As for the voltage? Define heavy ESS.....because I would argue my testing is more stressful than ESS (draining the battery significantly) my only difference in voltage while running changes based on 2 things.

1. Temperature
2. Voltage will start to sag if the alternator is at 100% duty cycle and can't keep up

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Well, that confirms it! Nice to have that piece of hard documentation.

What is not clear in the STAR publication is if it's the alternator or PCM that is doing the smarts, or if something changed in 2021 models. Given that 1) the data from the service manual states it's the PCM controlling the charge, and 2) the part numbers for the alternator are identical from 2014 thru 2021, it is clear that it's the PCM doing the heavy lifting.

Case closed?
Case closed, I am moving on. Finally getting my windows tinted and installing new Weather Tech floor mats for the entire vehicle. I really appreciate letting me post here because it has been frustrating. Moving on,,,,,

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It only took 11 days to finally get the answer.
We just need to stay persistent.
Is there some way we can subscribe to "STAR ONLINE PUBLICATIONs"?
I don't know if you could subscribe, or even if you would want to. You probably would be bombarded with every Stellantis (AKA "FCA") communication for every vehicle. Of course, if you are a dealer or know one you might get an inside track?

You could use an online search engine of your choice. If you are lucky with the right words you might find something relevant. Or not.

You can search on TSBSearch, but you kinda have to know what you are looking for to get a hit:

Alternatively, you could go to the NTHSA site and search under Recalls, then by Vehicle. You'll get a list that sometimes loads right and sometimes doesn't. If it does, you'll get access to every communication out there (Recalls, TSBs, STAR, complaints, more?). Problem is to find it. You can narrow it down by system a bit, but there can be many, many pages of stuff to look for and the titles will probably be of little help so it's a bit of "open-and-look" to find anything relevant.

Any method is a PIA for sure. Don't know if there are more ways to find what you might want to look for.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I never had a reason to constantly monitor my car's voltage levels until now. I can confirm I see exactly the same behavior as @Ocracokenc describes in my 2019 TH/E. Who knew?

I'm betting that if more of us monitor the voltage we would all see the same thing. Any 2014-2018 owners been staring at their volts lately?

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
I never had a reason to constantly monitor my car's voltage levels until now. I can confirm I see exactly the same behavior as @Ocracokenc describes in my 2019 TH/E. Who knew?

I'm betting that if more of us monitor the voltage we would all see the same thing. Any 2014-2018 owners been staring at their volts lately?
Searching the forums yesterday, I found possible similar reports, going back to 2017 model year GCs. But I can't confirm they were 100% smart charge issues because one metionned a battery needed to be replaced.
I'll keep an eye out with my 2015, just for kicks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·

I bet a lot of people have it but they just don’t watch the gauge. I only did because my battery failed. Thanks for posting this so I know I am not crazy lol. It charges exactly like the STAR report says.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
I bet a lot of people have it but they just don’t watch the gauge. I only did because my battery failed. Thanks for posting this so I know I am not crazy lol. It charges exactly like the STAR report says.
Yep, not crazy. Critical thinking rocks, and prevailed.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts

I have a 2014 V6 TH.
Sometimes I will push the button to RUN and observe the battery voltage, if it is below 12V the battery needs to be charged.
The Jeep will still start just fine and I'll let it charge while I drive.
When the engine is running I'll check EVIC and make sure the charging voltage in the 13V to 14V range which is normal.
12V to 13V is not normal for a 2014. Over 15V and you have a severe problem.

It usually takes 30 minutes of driving for the oil temperature to get to normal.

Then I'll cycle through the other screens to make sure temperatures are increasing as expected and settle in on a "normal" reading.
When the needle is near vertical on the digital display the temperatures are normal. Anywhere in the "crescent" area is good.
I have been watching for 7 years so I pretty much know what "normal" is for my driving situation.

When I am off road I monitor the tire pressures almost continuously, if I puncture I tire I want to know about it sooner than later.
If I break a bead or blow a sidewall the TPMS will let me know instantly.
Coolant temperatures and transmission fluid temperature can get fairly high, especially in 4 low going up a steep hill in 2nd or 3rd gear.
It never gets over 90 degrees F on my hill so overheating is not normal.
Usually I run the A/C even if I don't need it to turn on both radiator fans all of the time.
I make sure the coolant reservoir is filled correctly.

My X2 Power AGM battery is all wrapped up in closed cell foam insulation and I have the "battery health" checked every couple months for free.
So I guess you could say I "have a thing" for battery voltage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dead battery a few weeks ago on my 2016 limited plus, i was always at 14V s&s was not working and low rpm at 1000.
Changed few weeks ago now s&s is back to life, low rpm 0,900 and today i was driving and saw that volt going to 12.8 to 13.6 to 14.5 when i brake.
I was worried so thanks man

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
921 Posts
Dead battery a few weeks ago on my 2016 limited plus, i was always at 14V s&s was not working and low rpm at 1000.
Changed few weeks ago now s&s is back to life, low rpm 0,900 and today i was driving and saw that volt going to 12.8 to 13.6 to 14.5 when i brake.
I was worried so thanks man
That's normal for a charged battery.

·
Registered
11,835 Posts

·
Registered
11,835 Posts
How come I have never seen that??? Just chilling in the drive thru Mark...😎
We have yet to establish which KLs have this feature. From what I've read here, smart charging (if equipped) kicks in under very specific conditions only. I don't think we have an exact/accurate list of those parameters, yet.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
81 - 100 of 121 Posts