2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my OEM battery to something better, I am looking at an XS Power battery an XS D4800. Has anyone had problems with upgrading their battery to a stronger battery?

I am looking for the biggest battery I can get, but I think the max is a 94R. Has anyone fit a BCI 34? I'd 'like the XS D3400 if possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question is what do you intend to use it for? It only has 850 CCA and 80ah capacity. The main thing with these is the high current draw capabilities for audio systems.
I just wanted a better-upgraded battery. Eventually, I will put a new sound system in, I have an amplifier that is 1000 RMS that will go into my KL.

I am also just looking for recommendations for any battery that is better than my stock or better than the D3400 if it can fit in my KL.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless your doing competition I would focus more on the batteries CCA and ah ratings the higher the # the better the battery. Also the good old weight test for lead acid batteries. The more they weigh the better and longer lasting they are.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless your doing competition I would focus more on the batteries CCA and ah ratings the higher the # the better the battery. Also the good old weight test for lead acid batteries. The more they weigh the better and longer lasting they are.
So for the second option of listed batteries, I mentioned the D3400, with the

CA – 1150A
RC – 160min.
Ah – 80

Would this be good? I am not looking to do competitions. I just wanted a better battery from stock. Can I get a recommendation, please?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
So for the second option of listed batteries, I mentioned the D3400, with the

CA – 1150A
RC – 160min.
Ah – 80

Would this be good? I am not looking to do competitions. I just wanted a better battery from stock. Can I get a recommendation, please?
Ok...

First off, a group 34 won't do, but a group 34R would. 34R means the posts are reversed, positive bottom right. Same concept with the 94R, 95R, etc...

A 34R would fit, itis slightly taller than a 94R but I'mpretty sure it would fit. So forget the D3400 because posts are not reversed. Not to mention that group 48 and 34R are smaller than 94R batteries, so on paper that means a great 94R will be heavier, have more lead and more discharge cycles than smaller batteries.

About those XS Power batteries : I haven't seen one forum member install one (maybe I've missed one, or two..). It's a group 48, so smaller than a 94R. Just FYI : you would have to purchase their 580 battery brass post adapters.
It's an expensive battery and we know very little about it. Is it a thin plate pure lead design ? Info is kinda hard to find on these.

If you want thet biggest and baddest battery to fit these Jeeps : it's the Northstar group 27F. You will also find it at Batteries+ with the X2 Power name.
I have one, so I can confirm it fits. But... there are a few things to know : the 27F is somewhat taller than a 94R, and the battery cables barely reach up there. I had to wiggle the battery to get the connectors on the posts. Next, the bottom of the battery case is not the same design as a 94R or a group 48 ; since the 27F is slightly narrower than a 94R, it will fit but there will be a tiny bit of play on the tray, you have to be ready to live with that. And... since the case designs are different (27F vs 94R), you'll need to file down or Dremel off a tiny portion of the lower lip on the battery, so that it fits into the tray's wedge. There's a thread about this and I explainied these differences :

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The XS D3400 does come in the reverse polarity, I've used XS in the past and I've heard of northstar. I've only known of XS and Northstar due to my past with audio systems. But that is as far as my knowledge goes of them.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
The XS D3400 does come in the reverse polarity, I've used XS in the past and I've heard of northstar. I've only known of XS and Northstar due to my past with audio systems. But that is as far as my knowledge goes of them.
Hmmm. That D3400 really looks like a 'regular' group 34 : D3400
(positive is bottom left)

Ah got it : D3400R
(that's a 34R)

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
But still... a group 34 or 48 are smaller batteries (than a 94R).

The safest choice here, and great battery, is the Northstar 94R (also sold at Batteries + as their X2 Power 94R).

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,992 Posts
About those XS Power batteries : I haven't seen one forum member install one
I thought they meant the X2 Power, and XS Power was just a typo, but now see it's a completely different battery. Never heard of them...LOL!!!🤔😎

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
I thought they meant the X2 Power, and XS Power was just a typo, but now see it's a completely different battery. Never heard of them...LOL!!!🤔😎
You know me and batteries.. lol. I've been aware of them for years, seem to be popular with the big audio system fans. I haven't been able to gather sufficient data on how well they do as starting batteries. For pure deep cycle duty, they seem awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts