2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently switched out the headlights to HID and fog lights to LED. I also have various electronics (2 dashcams, backup camera system, charger for two phones). I am already on my third OEM battery. Is there a third party battery that you would recommend. I read in another post for Service Shifter error, you should try replacing the battery.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You should be able to find an X2Power AGM battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs.
Buy it online and you should get a mail in rebate.
Wrap the battery up in closed cell foam double sided reflective film.
Refer to this Post: Service Transmission light ON 2014 TH
The battery doesn't have anything to do with the Service Shifter error.
I think you got the TSB in an other Post.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I agree with the X2 Power battery suggestion ; it's a premium thin plate pure lead AGM made by Northstar. You want the group 94R size. Because you have a lot of draw, possibly some at rest, you should consider some form of home charging/maintaining on a regular basis, to avoid repetitive depletion which kills batteries early.
The X2 Power battery sports a 5 year replacement warranty as well.

There is a way... to fit an even larger battery (group 27F, X2 Power or Northstar label), but it is a tight fit and some minor tinkering is required to secure it to the battery tray. A few of us have done it, but it is not recommended. The 27F Northstar has more capacity than the 94R, weighs something like 15 lbs more. But a premium 94R should give you what you need.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Or, if you don't want to pay for the best there is, there is this one for half the price (with current promo) and a 4 year free replacement warranty....

I think Autozone had their (identical) Duralast Platinum H7 AGM for $169 a few weeks ago, but I see it at $199 right now, and... only a 3 year warranty. So yeah that Champion label for $172.49 with a 4 year warranty is a good deal. Same battery as OEM though.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
What a deal! Buy 2 and strap the second one down in the trunk.
You never know when you will need another battery.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think Autozone had their (identical) Duralast Platinum H7 AGM for $169 a few weeks ago, but I see it at $199 right now, and... only a 3 year warranty. So yeah that Champion label for $172.49 with a 4 year warranty is a good deal. Same battery as OEM though.
It was actually selling for $159.00 when I first posted that link! But now I see that the promo discount is no longer there, so as you stated it's up to $172 now.

Same battery as OEM, but if you buy a battery from a Jeep dealer I'm assuming the warranty is only for 3 years, right?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
It was actually selling for $159.00 when I first posted that link! But now I see that the promo discount is no longer there, so as you stated it's up to $172 now.

Same battery as OEM, but if you buy a battery from a Jeep dealer I'm assuming the warranty is only for 3 years, right?
Mopar battery warranty is... complicated. Another forum member and myself tried to decypher it a while ago, but were unable. It seems to be 3 years, just not sure if it is 3 years full replacement, or a prorated deal... perhaps with mileage in the equation... But anyway, $172 with a 4 year replacement warranty is awesome.

Just remembered : last week, someone posted a link to an H7 AGM at Walmart. They had been out of stock for ages. Good price too. Checking just now, they say out of stock again, put perhaps some stores carry them. $169.77 and 4 year replacement. Good deal there too, same battery :

Edit to add : bizarre, I just looked more closely at the Walmart battery, and the description says 4 years replacement (a surprise to me for Walmart), but on the battery itself it says 5 years with 3 years full replacement and then 2 years prorated. Go figure...

·
Registered
221 Posts
And now as I check it again the price is 157.49. I think they want to sell me a battery. Too bad I don't need one. ;)

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I go to my local battery wholesaler, and buy there, get a better battery cheaper
Better ? Just curious : have you bought a Cherokee battery yet ? If so, which one and how much ?

Welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
on-topic FYI: it took 6 start/stop cycles for the "Check Engine" light to finally go away after installing my new battery, so be aware of that issue.

I knew things were working right when I pulled up to a stoplight and the AutoStop kicked in. It hasn't done THAT in almost 3 years!! lol Next time I started the engine (7th start with new battery), the Check Engine light was gone. of course, now I have to deal with the stupid AutoStop every time I pull into a parking space or the garage...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
on-topic FYI: it took 6 start/stop cycles for the "Check Engine" light to finally go away after installing my new battery, so be aware of that issue.

I knew things were working right when I pulled up to a stoplight and the AutoStop kicked in. It hasn't done THAT in almost 3 years!! lol Next time I started the engine (7th start with new battery), the Check Engine light was gone. of course, now I have to deal with the stupid AutoStop every time I pull into a parking space or the garage...
That's normal. Most places plug in a power source to keep voltage in the system during battery change, and you won't get those faults. Try that next time. It's an amazing difference what a new battery makes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts