2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
my cousin just had to replace his battery in his '15 limited a month ago, 2 1/2 years into ownership. he uses stop start, i have the disable module. i wonder if there is any correlation between extended battery life and the use of ESS? my 3 year purchase date is coming up in 2 months so it looks like my battery may be nearing the end of its life cycle according to posts here.

·
Registered
943 Posts
My Jeep's birthday (no presents please) is Nov 8. I assume the battery is slightly older but even if it was created the same day my Jeep was it is 3 years old in less than a month.

I too have the ESS disable module and so far have had zero issues with the battery.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
my cousin just had to replace his battery in his '15 limited a month ago, 2 1/2 years into ownership. he uses stop start, i have the disable module. i wonder if there is any correlation between extended battery life and the use of ESS? my 3 year purchase date is coming up in 2 months so it looks like my battery may be nearing the end of its life cycle according to posts here.
Yeah this would require a serious statistical analysis. Trying to factor in ESS is very difficult, but it is certainly possible that it does have a small impact on battery life.

So many variables to battery life : climate, driving environment (city, highway, etc...), lenght of driving stints, etc...

Those I've seen here with failed AGMs with roughly 3 years on them had higher than average mileage (I think), so more start/stop cycles (just guessing here). They were also located "lower" in the country.

I think climate and battery quality have more to do with this shorter life syndrome we're seeing...

Reactions: Array

·
Registered
106 Posts
Made it to just over a year and a cell shorted. Replaced under warranty. All’s good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
You want murky ? :grin:
There are non AGM 94Rs out there : https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-Size-H7/20531542

There are AGM group 48s (consortium) : https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-48AGM-Professional-Automotive-Battery/dp/B008FWCLHU

Yeah, I know...

I looked at that battery manufacturer list last night as well while I was searching for the link I previously had for the consortium, which has curiously evaporated. Or it's just me doing the search wrong because there are thousands of hits now on a recent battery consortium move on Li-ion batteries.
That list does not address the consortium's impact on the industry ; every manufacturer appears to do its own thing, but they don't... Well they do, for products not shared within the consortium. Merky you said ? :laugh:

And you're right about the EHPs not being AGMs. Then again, we know AGMs aren't much better in the heat, so I had some hope that this *new* EHP thing (which isn't new at all) would possibly offer some hope. It was probably all just a marketing gimmick on a not-so-great product...

Edit to add : just FYI on the cheap CARiD Exides I talked about earlier ; well, both the 48 AGM ($158) and 94R AGM ($166) are listed as *Out of stock*. Figures...
Wow, just Wow! Marketing mumbo jumbo at its extreme.

Would you agree the best approach then, given the inability to confidently pin a battery to its manufacturer and its content/build quality, is to pick a 94R with the lowest cost and longest free replacement warranty and

800 CCA
920 CA
140 RC
and
80 Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20 Hour Rate?

Reactions: Jeepster1

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Mine's at 37K miles and was 3 years old last month, always have ESS on and it works all the time, and there is no hint of battery failure yet. It lives in the country in Michigan and is garage kept during spring/summer/fall, and lives in Florida during the winter. It's hardly ever in stop and go traffic. These environmental and usage conditions probably contribute to longer life. I've never had a car battery last for more than 5 or 6 years at tops.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Wow, just Wow! Marketing mumbo jumbo at its extreme.

Would you agree the best approach then, given the inability to confidently pin a battery to its manufacturer and its content/build quality, is to pick a 94R with the lowest cost and longest free replacement warranty and

800 CCA
920 CA
140 RC
and
80 Ampere-Hour Capacity at 20 Hour Rate?
Sure ! And don't forget "AGM" ;)

I'm just going to wait and see how long mine lasts. I like to keep my vehicles 7-8 years, so if I get less than 4 years out of this OEM battery, I might consider putting down a little more money to get a Northstar 94R, because the last thing I want is to have to buy a third battery...

Another thing I forgot in response to @IRSmart : we've seen plenty of failed 2014 batteries in non ESS V6 Cherokees too, which is why I tend to think that climate and battery quality are more important factors...

Reactions: Array

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Another thing I forgot in response to @IRSmart : we've seen plenty of failed 2014 batteries in non ESS V6 Cherokees too, which is why I tend to think that climate and battery quality are more important factors...
hadn't considered that, along with the 4 cylinders as well.

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Well I am approaching 4 years in my 2014 on the battery.
Will do a preplanned maintenance replacement as it does seem like I am pushing it at 4 years.
I do agree that climate has a lot to do with it. Heat is the worst enemy of a battery and will shorten its life.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Well I am approaching 4 years in my 2014 on the battery.
Will do a preplanned maintenance replacement as it does seem like I am pushing it at 4 years.
I do agree that climate has a lot to do with it. Heat is the worst enemy of a battery and will shorten its life.
Before I owned a KL and before I saw how they react to a dying battery, I would have told you to wait. But today I think your idea is a good one, especially with an ESS-less Cherokee that won't give any warning (hardly any) and start doing weird things up to leaving you stranded somewhere.

You could always keep a Li-ion booster pack onboard and hook it up when needed, but that's not even a guaranteed solution. And booster packs cost money.

If you need any help finding a battery, let us know ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Replaced the battery in my wife's car last month..just a little over three years. Replaced with a "Super Start Extreme" Battery from O'Reillys. Took a couple hours for everything to get back to normal.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2015 a few weeks ago with 40k on the clock. Got one from AutoZone with a 5 year warranty for around $200.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my 2015 a few weeks ago with 40k on the clock. Got one from AutoZone with a 5 year warranty for around $200.
That seems a little early for Maryland. 40K isn't that much. Assuming you have the V6 ?

Do you have accessories installed ? Is your driving mostly stop&go or short stints ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That seems a little early for Maryland. 40K isn't that much. Assuming you have the V6 ?

Do you have accessories installed ? Is your driving mostly stop&go or short stints ?

No accessories, mostly short runs (commute of 7 miles in a city)

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
No accessories, mostly short runs (commute of 7 miles in a city)
Hmmm. Ok, 7 mile stints are kinda short to get a full charge...

Have you experienced this with other vehicles, assuming driving habits were the same ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm. Ok, 7 mile stints are kinda short to get a full charge...

Have you experienced this with other vehicles, assuming driving habits were the same ?

Actually no. The car was purchased three months after my commute went from 55 miles to 7.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Actually no. The car was purchased three months after my commute went from 55 miles to 7.
Fair enough...

I may have a suggestion then. If you have access to a 120V outlet where you park the Jeep at home, perhaps use a smart charger/maintainer at least once a week, overnight, to get that full charge in. I'm suggesting this because replacing $200 batteries before the 3 year mark is kinda... a lot.

The battery you got from Autozone is likely a Duralast Platinum AGM (group 94R is you have the V6). This battery is an exact clone of your OEM battery. Price is in line with street prices of other clones.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts