2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,287 Posts
I meant, letting it's a deep cycle, so let it go lower, for more Start/Stops instead of wanting it to be charged way up before it works...

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
I meant, letting it's a deep cycle, so let it go lower, for more Start/Stops instead of wanting it to be charged way up before it works...
Agreed. Problem here though is the OEM and other lead-calcium H7/94Rs don't handle heavy discharging very well, and/or multiple discharges. Appears as though the programming was done to try to squeeze out as much life out of those batteries as possible, which kinda makes sense from the manufacturer's standpoint. The lead-calcium AGMs should be better than what they are, I think. Maybe they do better in other applications (non Jeep), but in the KL they are not up to the task. They just die too early..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Right on, when I was reading their marketing wank website last night I misread DoD as SoC.
Thanks for the info.. is there a more tech. spec type page somewhere? those links are marketing heavy.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's marketing heavy. It's quite simple.

Northstar/Odyssey Use pure lead plate AGM construction which is be design able to deeply cycle many many times, but don't take my word for it because I'm usually giving out wrong info, I also haven't tested batteries extensively on my vehicles especially cycling them and posted on here regarding them.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Right on, when I was reading their marketing wank website last night I misread DoD as SoC.
Thanks for the info.. is there a more tech. spec type page somewhere? those links are marketing heavy.
Try this : www.northstarbattery.com/media.ashx/nsbautomotivebatteries.pdf

There is also another player in the pure lead AGM game : Optima YellowTop H7. It sports 99.99% pure lead flat plates (they don't say 'thin'). It is 60lbs, so roughly 2-3 pounds more than the Northtsars. With 880 CCA and 80 Ah capacity (C20), it seems 'superior'. And then this spec : '300+ recharge cycles', which isn't great for a [premium ?)] AGM.
Source : Battery Innovation & Technology
(and it's $319 USD...)

Reactions: Rand

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,287 Posts
I know, The king is dead. Long live the king!
DieHard>>Interstate>>Optima>>Northstar/X2

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,573 Posts
Then, there's me. I've been beating the drum for the X2, and I don't even have one yet. Still waiting for that 2nd Mopar to fail, but I'm starting to get tired of waiting. I'll probably swap it out before winter. I know it's not relevant to our Cherokees, but I recently replaced the old Yuasa that was beyond maxed in the Can Am with the X2 Power Lithium Powersport and all I can say is, there's no comparison. WELL WORTH the price difference. I have a lot of stuff running off of an ancient design magneto charging system that yes, can be upgraded at the cost of about $2000. Are you effing kidding me??? X2 Lithium powers everything flawlessly without having to go to a dual battery system, also an expensive mod, and I have a lot of accessories running most of the time. Massive lumins of lighting, massive wattage of sound system, in car and 2 way communication system, Lowrance GPS, 4000lb winch, and all the rest of the powered standard equipment. Probably the cheapest, and best mod that's ever been done on the car. 450cca, and 575ca...😎

·
Registered
765 Posts
After reading tons of these battery posts I think I can sum up the Cherokee's battery needs quite simply.....

Use ESS? Then spend the money on a better designed, deep cycle capable battery like the X2.

Don't use ESS? Save some money and use a normal AGM. But as with any modern car, if the car is going to sit in the garage for several days or more, make sure you put a battery maintainer on it to avoid damaging deep discharges.

Personally I haven't experienced a dead battery for 30 years because I replace them at the 4 year mark before they fail and since I don't use ESS I will continue that strategy with my Cherokee. If this backfires on me you folks will be the first to know. ;)

Reactions: sanghill and Mark_

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
After reading tons of these battery posts I think I can sum up the Cherokee's battery needs quite simply.....

Use ESS? Then spend the money on a better designed, deep cycle capable battery like the X2.

Don't use ESS? Save some money and use a normal AGM. But as with any modern car, if the car is going to sit in the garage for several days or more, make sure you put a battery maintainer on it to avoid damaging deep discharges.

Personally I haven't experienced a dead battery for 30 years because I replace them at the 4 year mark before they fail and since I don't use ESS I will continue that strategy with my Cherokee. If this backfires on me you folks will be the first to know. ;)
Very good recap and analysis.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 3.2L 4x4
43 Posts

I think I missed something, how does ESS damage the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,573 Posts
I think I missed something, how does ESS damage the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every engine crank, is one less crank in the lifespan of the battery. Cranking is a "high discharge"...😎

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Not only extra cranks, everything stays energized on an ESS engine stop : blower fan, headlights, etc... all pulling juice from the battery. ESS restarts are really efficient and pull much less power than a cold start, but they do pull. All those together mean that over time, ESS puts a strain on the battery. On paper, engineers know and plan for this, dropping a superior capacity and quality battery in there, but... cost cutting wins over reason in many instances, and this somewhat botched KL ESS implementation is proof of that.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts