2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving on interstate battery light flashed and 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland lost all power and shut down 2 hours from home waited 5 hours for roadside assistance in 98 degree heat tow truck came jumped me off and now everything checks out good. What do I do I am afraid to visit my family out of town

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
While driving on interstate battery light flashed and 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland lost all power and shut down 2 hours from home waited 5 hours for roadside assistance in 98 degree heat tow truck came jumped me off and now everything checks out good. What do I do I am afraid to visit my family out of town
Hey Shelbie, welcome to the forum ! And sorry to hear...

Well that's not supposed to happen, not that suddenly.

Did you notice any signs, prior to this, that you may have had a weak battery ? Things like slower cranking, engine Stop/Start not working, malfunction lights...
What you are describing there could be : a) dying battery, b) dead alternator or c) a loose connection somewhere (battery connector, ground strap, etc..).

To rule out a dying battery is the easiest and should be your first step : most big auto parts store will load test your battery for free. If it tests bad, replace it. Battery you need is a group 94R AGM (aka H7 AGM), and those are sold pretty much everywhere, price range $220-$250. They will also test the alternator (it's part of the battery test routine).

Best to put that battery of yours on a charger at home, while you figure this all out.

Oh and you can quickly see if the alternator is Ok by looking at the voltage with the engine running (it's in the menus, in the center display). If it's 13.8V to 14.4V, the alternator is probably fine.

Edit to add : if you have the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine, you don't have engine Stop/Start (the option came for 2020+ Cherokees with a 2.4L). You could chose a slightly less expensive battery (if battery needs to be replaced), though I'd recommend the above mentionned group 94/R (H7) AGM battery. It's a perfect fit.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Possibly "heat soak", when the battery gets too hot too quickly.
Happened in my 2014 V6 TH when I stopped to buy gas. The AGM battery was later tested to be "near the end of its useful life".
Refer to: Another dead battery thread Post #12. NOCO booster.
Having a NOCO booster may reduce the wait time. At least you will feel good knowing you can help yourself.
Just letting the engine compartment cool with the engine hood open may rejuvenate the battery.
Sitting around in 98 deg F heat for 5 hours is not fun. My doctor says to stay hydrated. I don't think he means a 6 pack.
This has been my solution since the last millennium: Service Transmission light ON 2014 TH Post #21 Attachments.
The first thing I did after getting a driver's license was join AAA. Generally they are pretty good.
I bought a fold up chair with a shade for car shows. I even take mom's 'old folks' toilet seat just in case Nature calls when I am in the woods.

·
Registered
12,232 Posts
Possibly "heat soak", when the battery gets too hot too quickly.
Happened in my 2014 V6 TH when I stopped to buy gas. The AGM battery was later tested to be "near the end of its useful life".
Refer to: Another dead battery thread Post #12. NOCO booster.
Having a NOCO booster may reduce the wait time. At least you will feel good knowing you can help yourself.
Just letting the engine compartment cool with the engine hood open may rejuvenate the battery.
Sitting around in 98 deg F heat for 5 hours is not fun. My doctor says to stay hydrated. I don't think he means a 6 pack.
This has been my solution since the last millenium: Service Transmission light ON 2014 TH
This seems to have happened while driving at highway speeds though.

I agree that a heat soak condition will show you real quick if you have a dying battery ; when mine was a few months from death, hot engine cranking/starting was noticeably weaker.

A quick battery load test will probably show the problem here.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
320 Posts
In the old days if your car died like that while driving and the battery light came on it was usually the alternator that died . At least in my case it was . I would also check the tension on the serpentine belt .

·
Registered
12,232 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Shelbie,

We have the same model with a V6. Since new, the Stop/Start and battery light came numerous times. We would also lose our electric power steering. The lights can be reset by turning off the engine and opening a door. The OBD reader indicated a P0608 error code indicating the problem is a pinched wiring harness below the oil cap. I hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts