2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Registered
I'd make them replace the entire defective engine!!! This is a KNOWN DEFECT for entirely too long now. I'm not sure I even have faith in the so called, redesigned rocker bearings, and what ever else is causing this, even on a brand new one. FCA is long over due for a completely redesigned, and engineered V6 period!!! The Pentastars were designed in what, the early 90's or something? They've really never been the pinnacle of reliability ever, have they??? Just saying...馃槑

Registered
Issue with service departments is now a days techs are just people they can get to follow a flow chart and turn a wrench when the manual says too. It is becoming more and more rare to find a tech that actually knows what they are doing, and has the knowledge to troubleshoot or do a more complex yet cheaper repair. But also from the manufactory side it most likely is cheaper to replace the whole head vs rebuilding it. Look at it this way techs get paid per book hour. It is less time consuming to pull the head and replace right there, instead of pulling the head, sending it off to a machine shop waiting a few days for them to get that done, then for the shop to have to build the head and reinstall it. Then the dealer having to pay for a loaner/rental while they wait for the repair to be finished. Yes the upfront cost might seem more but with the overall time involved its going to be cheaper.

Registered
Remember too that unlike in the past, today dealers make most of their profit from their service department, not from selling cars. Maximizing profitability there means a dealer can survive and prosper, instead of struggle and die. Lower wages paid to techs is part of that, as is mazimizing the number of vehicles serviced each week by cycling them through quickly. Like it or not, that鈥檚 the industry today.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts