2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,733 Posts
@Len1304

I was just poking at ya man ;)

I figured.

I actually like your idea @Pondhopper and should it be something you pursue I'll be following. I under if it wouldn't be safer though to remove the muffler and install a fuel can with skid plate system where the muffler was like some of the WK2 auxiliary fuel tanks are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
Should also be said, if something was to happen and someone rear ended you, and your extra fuel tank caught on fire, insurance probably wouldn't cover you. I would hate to see a $20k-$30k vehicle burn to the ground and insurance deny the claim.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I figured.

I actually like your idea @Pondhopper and should it be something you pursue I'll be following. I under if it wouldn't be safer though to remove the muffler and install a fuel can with skid plate system where the muffler was like some of the WK2 auxiliary fuel tanks are.

I was thinking of something similar. But, fuel tank, not fuel cell.
Cut out the spare well, patch it with sheet metal, and have the entire area for a replacement fuel tank. No weird plumbing, pumps, valves, etc. Just a bigger tank.

Is there room to keep a muffler somewhere if you want to re-use the current space?

Not something I would do, but might even be cheaper and a lot simpler and safer.

Reactions: Len1304

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was thinking of something similar. But, fuel tank, not fuel cell.
Cut out the spare well, patch it with sheet metal, and have the entire area for a replacement fuel tank. No weird plumbing, pumps, valves, etc. Just a bigger tank.

Is there room to keep a muffler somewhere if you want to re-use the current space?

Not something I would do, but might even be cheaper and a lot simpler and safer.
Should also be said, if something was to happen and someone rear ended you, and your extra fuel tank caught on fire, insurance probably wouldn't cover you. I would hate to see a $20k-$30k vehicle burn to the ground and insurance deny the claim.
I figured.

If money was not an issue and a proper mapping of the engine was available you could remove the muffler and install a Turbo in the rear and have extra room for an Aux tank there with both heat shield and rear skid plate. Check out the Grand Cherokee with a rear turbo. though I would have the turbo to the briver side with the intake much higher up maybe from above the left rear wheel well

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Can you see a rear mounted snorkel on a Cherokee?

·
Registered
91 Posts
A simple solution to me would be to go with marine gas tanks on the roof. These marine tanks have a pickup with a generic threaded fitting on top. You could go with two quick connect fuel rated adapters and just carry a tube with a quick connect on one end and open on the other, It should be as easy as putting the tube in the filler for the vehicle, loosening the vent/removing the cap, and letting gravity take over after a little encouragement, or s simple siphon fuel pump shown below. This should drain 12 gallons in 6 or 7 minutes.

You could also rig up a little fuel pump on the quick disconnect to expedite the process and plug it into the rear power adapter.

The other advantage of marine kits is they have built in strap points already and are meant to be in a boat jostling around. It would be simple to make some aluminum straps if you wanted to be a little more permanent. Below is a link for a 6 gallon and 12 gallon that might be an option. These are a little high as they have the fuel gauge and all included, but you can get them cheaper from walmart, academy, or online other places. With the below links you could add a 12 gallon cell for around $250 with a pump. There are lots of other options there if you wanted more capacity, metal tanks, etc.

6 gallon:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200478117_200478117

12 gallon - note the two built in grooves for straps:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200478119_200478119

All transfer tanks:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ransfer-fuel-tanks_0_0_P-Price||P-SalesRank|1

Pump options - I'm sure you can find cheaper this would empty the tank in a little over a minute.:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612558_200612558

Siphon pump:
https://www.zoro.com/flo-ngo-fuel-transfer-pump-2-gpm-08338/i/G5070825/feature-product

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I hadn't considered marine/topside tanks, @mpilot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004APFLPA

A 12-gallon take is close to "perfect". An 80% increase in fuel capacity, ~400 mile range, and ~75-80lbs when full. Not much more weight than a KO2 spare sitting on the roof.

No plumbing. Outside the vehicle. Removable (even when full if you dare....:)).
The only minus is that you have to manually refill from the aux tank, but you'd probably be taking *some* kind of break in the ~4-6 hour range of the existing tank.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Your plans look workable BUT
Actually hauling gas on the inside of a vehicle, secured or not, is dangerous. I would also question the legality of a set up such as that for a semi permanent positioning of 20 gallons of gas for extended range.
Your Fire Dept or DOT may very well have an issue with that set up. Many times connecting hoses/tubing can be problematic and not the tanks themselves.
The other issue is those tanks even when empty can be dangerous as for the fumes remaining. Inside is not where you want them.
Basically there is no protection in the event of a rear crash OR a roll over.
Roof mount them or rear mount them on the outside. There are options for that.

There was a case in town 3 years or so ago where a guy was hauling containers of gas in the back of his vehicle. He was t-boned coming out of a parking lot and the vehicle went over on its side.
He burned to death before the FD could get there.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Actually hauling gas on the inside of a vehicle, secured or not, is dangerous. I would also question the legality of a set up such as that for a semi permanent positioning of 20 gallons of gas for extended range.
Your Fire Dept or DOT may very well have an issue with that set up. Many times connecting hoses/tubing can be problematic and not the tanks themselves.
The other issue is those tanks even when empty can be dangerous as for the fumes remaining. Inside is not where you want them.
Roof mount them or rear mount them on the outside. Theref are options for that.

There was a case in town 3 years or so ago where a guy was hauling containers of gas in the back of his vehicle. He was t-boned coming out of a parking lot and the vehicle went over on its side.
To be fair, a "fuel cell" isn't a "gas can". I still wouldn't be comfortable with it inside the vehicle, though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Modifying a factory high pressure fuel system would be for Baja Racers , not for anyone in normal use. Value the safety of you and your family and don't mess with it.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don't like the idea of fuel on the roof due to the chance it could be dislodged or fall off not to mention having to fill it and lift it up. if i knew of a good void area to put the aux tank i would like that best. Unfortunately there is very little unused space when it comes the Cherokee. I agree a fuel cell is designed to be secured and allot stronger and better sealed. Duel tanks have been used for some time now and fuel cells inside mostly racers have been around for a good time as well. why do we have to carry extra on our tops like we are getting water from a well in a third world country to carry more. I think that some one mentioned that maybe a new single custom larger tank might work. I looked at the stock tank and was impressed with how much contouring it takes to get 15.9 gallons I did not realize how big a task this was. The only flexible space that I am aware that we have for projects is under the false floor behind the back seats. I am not a welder or metal fabricator so my options are limited. I am open to any feedback as to options to try. Thank You All

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Modifying a factory high pressure fuel system would be for Baja Racers , not for anyone in normal use. Value the safety of you and your family and don't mess with it.
Roof mount them or rear mount them on the outside. There are options for that.

To be fair, a "fuel cell" isn't a "gas can". I still wouldn't be comfortable with it inside the vehicle, though.
The best and safest tank I have found so far. I agree a loose gas can is a very bad idea. Fuel cells are acceptible as they are designed from the beginning as crash resistant. I also agree that i want to keep ths a low presure transfer tank to fill from the main tank and return to it the same way as to avoid any high presure issues as well as affecting the operation of the jeep. https://www.carid.com/atl/12-gallon-well-cell-mpn-171110.html?singleid=479864007

Attachments

Reactions: Jeepster1

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize I'm a bit late to this party, but did you end up getting this implemented, Pondhopper? How did it work out in practice?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts