2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted to have a larger fuel tank or a way to have extra fuel for off road trips or when I am towing my trailer as my fuel mileage is less than desirable with 3,900 lbs so if I don't want to carry gas cans that stink and are a pain to fill and put in the jeep I had to come up with a better way. I was thinking of putting a fuel cell where the spare tire was, this would require relocating the spare. I was thinking of in the back above where it is now or on a roof rack. Then came the issue of how to fill the fuel cell a new fill neck was economical and ergonomically impractical. Filling through the rear hatch also had the issue with fumes and fuel spills. then I had a thought of a transfer pump. I came up with two options. First was two pumps on to fill the fuel cell from the main tank and the other to move fuel from the cell to the main tank. The other was to use one pump and two, two-way vales to do the same thing. I included a diagram of what I have in plan. So far on Amazon this is the only one to fit so far, 10 gal 12.2" x 12" x 8.46" There is enough room to mount two of these tanks side by side in the spare tire area for a total of 20 gallons extra. What do you think of this idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
376 Posts
You need a way to control the level of fuel in your extra tank. That way you don't over pump fuel into causing issues. Also you need to know when it is empty so you don't pump air causing a shorter life on your pump. Being that the extra tanks will be higher then the tank you can just feed the fuel back in with gravity into the top of the main tank.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a way to control the level of fuel in your extra tank. That way you don't over pump fuel into causing issues. Also you need to know when it is empty so you don't pump air causing a shorter life on your pump. Being that the extra tanks will be higher then the tank you can just feed the fuel back in with gravity into the top of the main tank.
Sending units on the fuel cell and manual transfer by switch with over flow going back to the main tank. You would fill the main tank then transfer to aux the refill the main tank for a full fuel load. you could get fancy and set up some kind of fuel control system to do it all automatically, but I have not gone that far yet.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I like the idea, but $250 in tanks, plus pump, houses, etc for another $150, and opportunity for leak inside the vehicle (no, I won't remember the behind-the-seat pickup tanks in the 60s and 70s...)) seems like a lot of work for infrequent use. That's about 175 gallons of gas or 3,150 miles at 18mpg. :)

The midwest is likely different, but 250-300 miles is more than enough to get between gas stations on both coasts. If off-road, I'd consider using a hitch-mounted carrier. If towing, you could probably put something on the tongue. 10 gallons of gas is about 60lbs.

With a roof-rack and a Rotopax (expensive!) or similar, you could even use gravity to top off the tank.

If it makes sense for your use case, go for it, but different strokes for different folks. :)

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Total Fuel load is only 10 X 2 = 20 + 15 stock tank for 35 gallons 35 x 22 Highway mileage is 770 max miles if i were to use two aux tanks. when pulling a trailer 35 x 13 = 450 miles. I agree 175 gallons would be too much 35 is not so bad though 20 gallons of gas and pumps and filters and lines would add 147 lbs. The cost is slowing me down.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
I would look more into a fuel bladder rather than solid tanks. But if you have to pass inspection, bladders won't pass because they aren't DOT legal. They are legal in Europe but not here sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
I considered mounting a low profile fuel tank to the roof rack then just have a fill hose and fill the Jeep as needed.

Reactions: Jeepster1

·
Super Moderator
4,209 Posts
Total Fuel load is only 10 X 2 = 20 + 15 stock tank for 35 gallons 35 x 22 Highway mileage is 770 max miles if i were to use two aux tanks. when pulling a trailer 35 x 13 = 450 miles. I agree 175 gallons would be too much 35 is not so bad though 20 gallons of gas and pumps and filters and lines would add 147 lbs. The cost is slowing me down.
He was saying your estimated costs are the same as 175 gallons of gas. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He was saying your estimated costs are the same as 175 gallons of gas. :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
It is more about having gas when it is not readily available is why I want it. I have had a few times while towing my travel trailer in eastern Washington and Oregon that I had to use the 5 gal can to make it to a gas station. Other times stations out that way close at 8-9 PM I use a gas can mount on the trailer to carry the Jerry can so it is outside. bit of a pain to move around mount and can.

Reactions: sport_4x4

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Are you sure you want to haul gasoline in the interior of the body? Rear end damage that ruptures and splatters the liquid could be uncomfortable. A.J. Foyt thought burning up would be the worst way to go.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Something else to consider is the KL's GVWR. The KL Cherokee has a dry curb weight of ~4000 pounds with a GVWR of only 5500. This leaves only 1500 pounds for fluids and anything else you put in/on it. This may seem like a lot, but it adds up fast. Gasoline is ~6.3 pounds per gallon.

For us it works out like this...

Estimated adder for fluids and full tank of gas = 150 pounds
Me = 200 pounds
Wife = 125 pounds
Son = 125 pounds
Trailer Tongue weight = 240 pounds
Rotppax on roof (3.5 gal) = 23 pounds
----------
This totals 863 pounds of the 1500 without any gear, clothing, of food. For our recent trip this added an additional 295 pounds of stuff.

Granted this still adds up to 1158 pounds and leaves approximately 350 pounds. We were only three people and two of them are smaller than the average American....

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Something else to consider is the KL's GVWR. The KL Cherokee has a dry curb weight of ~4000 pounds with a GVWR of only 5500. This leaves only 1500 pounds for fluids and anything else you put in/on it. This may seem like a lot, but it adds up fast. Gasoline is ~6.3 pounds per gallon.

For us it works out like this...

Estimated adder for fluids and full tank of gas = 150 pounds
Me = 200 pounds
Wife = 125 pounds
Son = 125 pounds
Trailer Tongue weight = 240 pounds
Rotppax on roof (3.5 gal) = 23 pounds
----------
This totals 863 pounds of the 1500 without any gear, clothing, of food. For our recent trip this added an additional 295 pounds of stuff.

Granted this still adds up to 1158 pounds and leaves approximately 350 pounds. We were only three people and two of them are smaller than the average American....

Technically, for warranty purposes the limit is 5000lbs. Because the owners manual says 975lbs of weight cargo and people included with a starting weight of 4025.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Technically, for warranty purposes the limit is 5000lbs. Because the owners manual says 975lbs of weight cargo and people included with a starting weight of 4025.
You're right... Since the manual covers many trims I went out to look at what our door sticker says. Sure enough, it says weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 985 pounds. Makes me wonder where the GWVR of 5500 pounds comes from then?

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
You're right... Since the manual covers many trims I went out to look at what our door sticker says. Sure enough, it says weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 985 pounds. Makes me wonder where the GWVR of 5500 pounds comes from then?

10% for error?

You should check out my build thread about the Dob lift. It may apply to you. My most recent post.

Reactions: SS_Syndicate

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
5,500-985=4,515
4,515-450(tongue)=4,065

Numbers are close enough to be intriguing.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After some volume calculations a custom tank that would fit in the spare tire location would hold 24 gallons so tank and plumbing and fuel would be 175 lbs. plus 510 in passengers and 350 tongue weight I would be over gross by 50 not counting standard kit of 50 first aid tools ect. I would be lighter than Len but when towing a little over suggested max gross by approx 10% or by the additional fuel. just can't win

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
After some volume calculations a custom tank that would fit in the spare tire location would hold 24 gallons so tank and plumbing and fuel would be 175 lbs. plus 510 in passengers and 350 tongue weight I would be over gross by 50 not counting standard kit of 50 first aid tools ect. I would be lighter than Len but when towing a little over suggested max gross by approx 10% or by the additional fuel. just can't win

I regularly run over GVWR especially when towing. I won't advise you do as I do, but so far so good in my case. But I've got upgraded brakes, better tires, heavier suspension, airbags, the whole nine.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
....and also had a whole bunch of driveline parts go kaputt recently.... >:D

But not while towing and I think it failed due to computer error (awd engaged at the wrong moment). I had ALOT fail all at once. Catestrofic failure I think they call it.

I'm not saying the weight of my rig didn't play a roll in the failure, just that it wasn't the only factor.

Reactions: gravitywell
1 - 20 of 34 Posts