2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Does this have anything to do with anything? Lemon Law, Warranty and Repair Help | Mopar®
I could maybe go that route, but I can’t really hang this on FCA (except for MaxCare sticking me with dealers, which is a separate topic for another thread).

Being a trial attorney, I’m more inclined to file a small claim, leverage deceptive trade practice as a basis, and rattle them into stroking me a small check for my trouble. I might convince them to pay up for the $5-600 I’ve spent on rental cars vs. paying their attorney to show up in court and defend it.

-Rob

· Registered
49 Posts
Speaking as a tech for CDJR, yes, we are all severely backed up. Getting parts in has been a challenge, although getting better. I'm just now starting to get parts in that were ordered in november. But that's no excuse for lack of communication or bad customer service. I'd be mad, too.
And really, first thing I do when I get a ticket with a battery concern is test both batteries separate. If either fail, replace. Then load test the charging system. Automatically. It's an extra 10 minutes. If that.

And for those that don't know about the gr8 machine, we select year, make, model, and it's programmed to automatically test for what battery was supposed to be in the car from the factory. We don't select the rating or any of that.

· Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
UPDATE: Like sands through the hourglass, so are the excuses of the dealer...

Just got off the phone with the Service Director. He says he called me yesterday, but the phone just rang and never went to VM. Not according to my call history, but whatever. Maybe they have a wrong number. I don't really care and am not particularly upset about that. What irritates me is the subsequent barrage of excuses which are mostly half-true, at best. During the call, here's what I was hit with...

1) I told you I was basically doing you a favor by getting your car diagnosed as quickly as possible. Then ordering parts. Then Bob is busy supervising 15 other guys and the cars they're working on, etc.

2) It's 1.7 hours book time, but your vehicle is old, so there are stuck bolts and other things that have to be dealt with that slow that down.

3) It's 1.7 hours book time, but we don't know why/how, because you have to remove the A/C condenser to change the alternator.

4) We just need to button it up and recharge the A/C this morning. Remember - we fixed what the last shop did, so if that doesn't mean anything to you...
On that note, they did tell me initially that there were loose star connectors and other bits under the dash that weren't "put back" properly after the last dealer fixed my A/C back in August, so I appreciate that, but it doesn't cover everything.

5) I've been over and over with our call center people that they need to explain that appointments aren't for diagnosis, only checking in [paraphrasing], and that if they can't handle that, to route the calls to us.

6) We're still getting you taken care of faster than any other dealer could even have looked at your car. [Since I had called around on day 1, I know this is not the case, but there's no point in arguing.]

He's told me I'll be done today. Pretty sure he's pissed off and thinks he has scored points with the above since my pushback was mild. I don't really give a ****. We'll see if I actually get my Cherokee back by COB.

-Rob

· Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Bob got me buttoned up and I’m on my way to retrieve my Cherokee.

Service Director says I have an e-brake warning (although it’s working) and start/stop is unavailable. I’m not letting them keep it and he recommended I come and get it since neither system is mission critical.

Could these just be codes that will take a few more cycles to clear? Am I going to end up stranded on the side of the road somewhere this weekend?

Tune in next time to find out… and don’t forget to place your bets!

-Rob

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,817 Posts

Service Director says I have an e-brake warning (although it’s working) and start/stop is unavailable. I’m not letting them keep it and he recommended I come and get it since neither system is mission critical.

Could these just be codes that will take a few more cycles to clear? Am I going to end up stranded on the side of the road somewhere this weekend?

-Rob
Hopefully they clear up. Try putting a good charge on the battery at home if possible. If they don't clear up, that's just pure damn lazy on their behalf not to fix EVERYTHING PROPERLY, and or they just aren't competent enough...🤞😉😎

· Registered
49 Posts
We're the ebrake and s/s lights on prior?
If yes, then that's on them for not recommending fixing them for you, or at least offering a free diag to try and make things right. The dealer can eat the 2 hour diag to pay the tech.
If not, then it is probably due to the battery being disconnected for the alternator job. But still, they shouldn't let the car leave with lights on that were not on prior. Again, communication is key.
You'll get an email to do a survey. Stellantis is HUGE on using customer feedback to grade dealers. Do it.
I don't, anyway. I dont care if the car has to sit in one of my stalls for several hours while it does the IBS relearn to make sure everything's functioning as should. That's just me.

· Registered
13,207 Posts

-Rob
Stop/Start unavailable at this point may only be because the IBS relearn hasn't been completed yet. A day or two should fix that. Not sure what that EPB light is about though. Maybe it'll clear up as well, you'll know soon enough.. As suggested, putting the battery on a charger is a good idea (always a good idea after Cherokee's been in the shop, really).

· Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well… there were no codes I was picking up - only the stored messages on the EVIC. And the one read “start/stop not available low fuel”. I was running on low when I picked it up (I didn’t expect them to gas it up for me), and the start/stop system has been working anyway. The message even went away at one point (although I saw it again at least once since I’m looking for it now). The e-brake works fine. Haven’t seen that message myself. I think everything has reset at this point and I’m GTG.

Should know for sure this morning - we’re going on a short road trip (3 hours out and back).

-Rob

· Registered
1,597 Posts
joegoode99 is clearly an anomaly. TWO (strange) posts according to profile, yet "0 Posts" according to his avatar. Something funny going on here.

Rectangle Purple Pink Violet Font

Rectangle Font Magenta Parallel Electric blue

41 - 57 of 57 Posts