2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used 2016 jeep cherokee North. 4x4 V6. Got it at 24,000km, it's now at 60,000km flat.

Had a cracked flex pipe which I got fixed. They cut it out and welded a new one on.

Before the flex pipe went, I was average 12L/100 in the city and roughly 9L/100 on the highway.

Now. Since getting it fixed I've been at 14L/100. Haven't done much long drives to bring it down but I'm shocked I'm still around that much.
A full tank of gas nets me roughly 400km or just under which I think is ridiculous.

Any tips? Advice? I hear about fuel injector but never used it. I also just use regular 87 gas.

Would I need nee spark plugs or something? Haven't done anything to the vehicle since buying it asides from constant oil changes

· Registered
4,626 Posts
You can purchase tires designed to be more fuel efficient. Probably Michelin makes some.
Inflate the tires to 36 PSI.
Get a 4 wheel alignment to make sure there is minimum drag.
Remove as much weight from the vehicle as you can. The spare tire is the easiest.
Use 5W-20 full synthetic oil.
Change the engine air cleaner often, annually should work.
When you drive don't stop unless absolutely necessary. Accelerate very gently. Never exceed the posted speed limit.
Imagine a cup of coffee sitting on top of the dash, drive so as not to spill any coffee.
When approaching an uphill grade let the Jeep slow down a little rather than trying to maintain speed.
Use cruise control, it can probably be more fuel efficient than you.
Vehicle maintenance by the Owner's Manual should work.
If you really want good fuel efficiency don't drive a 4 wheel drive anything, all that extra weight prevents good fuel economy.
Since you don't have a TH you probably do not drive off road.
A FWD automobile with the proper 3 peak tires will get you anywhere you need to go in the Winter.
When everybody around you is honking their horn to get you to DRIVE, just ignore them.

Needless to say I never drive like this, that is why I got a TH with the V6 and AT tires.
I rarely get better than 20 MPG. Off road I get 4 MPG maximum.

· Registered
4,626 Posts
Add to my Post: Don't pass other vehicles.
Every time you 'floor' the gas pedal you really burn the gas.

In June of 2019 I went with some antique cars on US 6 in PA from West to East. Had to drive to the West end and home from the East end.
The trip took 6 days, 1000 miles and calculated mathematically I got 25.3 MPG in my 2014 V6 TH.
Was loaded down with luggage and had a refrigerator in the trunk.
We all drove together as a group and I tagged along behind because I was the designated recovery vehicle.
The old cars drove along at a good speed, we avoided the Interstates as best we could, there were lots of hills and nobody passed anybody.
There was a good bit of city driving since we were doing the 'tourist thing'.
So driving sensibly resulted in about a 6 MPG improvement. So it can be done.

Another idea is don't use ESS. If the driver has a reasonable idea of the traffic lights, signs and traffic patterns you should be to turn the engine off and save gas.
ESS is clueless.

If FCA were to use the vehicle navigation system to determine when to use ESS based on the duration of a traffic signal and how far away from the signal you are ESS could be enabled when it would likely be useful. Certain intersections are inherently backed up and slow. Others, not so much.
If you use 'right turn on red after stop' correctly you should rarely need ESS since you are not sitting there for very long.
It seems to me ESS makes it more likely for a driver to roll through a STOP sign so ESS doesn't happen.
I guess you could just push the ESS button when it actually makes sense to do so.
I don't know where the ESS button is located but it would be most convenient if it was on the steering wheel to minimize distractions.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,820 Posts
Add to my Post: Don't pass other vehicles.
Every time you 'floor' the gas pedal you really burn the gas.

In June of 2019 I went with some antique cars on US 6 in PA from West to East. Had to drive to the West end and home from the East end.
The trip took 6 days, 1000 miles and calculated mathematically I got 25.3 MPG in my 2014 V6 TH.
Was loaded down with luggage and had a refrigerator in the trunk.
We all drove together as a group and I tagged along behind because I was the designated recovery vehicle.
The old cars drove along at a good speed, we avoided the Interstates as best we could, there were lots of hills and nobody passed anybody.
There was a good bit of city driving since we were doing the 'tourist thing'.
So driving sensibly resulted in about a 6 MPG improvement. So it can be done.

Another idea is don't use ESS. If the driver has a reasonable idea of the traffic lights, signs and traffic patterns you should be to turn the engine off and save gas.
ESS is clueless.

If FCA were to use the vehicle navigation system to determine when to use ESS based on the duration of a traffic signal and how far away from the signal you are ESS could be enabled when it would likely be useful. Certain intersections are inherently backed up and slow. Others, not so much.
If you use 'right turn on red after stop' correctly you should rarely need ESS since you are not sitting there for very long.
It seems to me ESS makes it more likely for a driver to roll through a STOP sign so ESS doesn't happen.
I guess you could just push the ESS button when it actually makes sense to do so.
I don't know where the ESS button is located but it would be most convenient if it was on the steering wheel to minimize distractions.
In other words, keep your foot out of it??? LOL...😎

· Registered
1,550 Posts
My last tank of gas I got 16mpg 14.5l/100 in the winter. Worst I have seen so far in my cherokee. It was 100% city driving.

· Registered
4,626 Posts
Once upon a time I tried unsuccessfully to block the 7 hood openings to improve fuel economy.
The plan was to emulate Active Grill Shutters. Never did try to calculate any improved fuel economy. It is probably insignificant.
Plenty of air gets to the radiator from just below the hood so unless it was really hot the extra air intake would not be necessary.
Tried to make it so removing and reinstalling the blocked openings would be fairly quick and easy.

Then I tried removing the plastic grill openings. Really ended up looking pretty ugly.
So finally I am back to stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.