2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Anyone replaced their PTU after gettting SVC 4WD light?

32K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Gary Kline 
#1 · (Edited)
2015 Latitude, V6 engine. I have had the SVC 4WD light come on intermittently for a few months. I have over 100,000 miles on it, so it is out of warranty. It usually is only on for a few minutes at a time, then it goes off. It comes on during most trips, but not all. It is staying on a little longer now though. One weird thing, it will occasionally come on for less than a second and then go right off. I did a quick check to see if there were any obvious wiring/connector issues, but didn't find much. Guessing the connections are on top, so it will have to be dropped just to see them. I finally had it on when driving by a dealership, so I pulled in to have it checked. It is code C14A797 PTU Motor-Component or System Operation Obstructed or Blocked. The service guy was very helpful. He said it is likely the PTU unit. I told him I like to wrench on my own stuff when I can, he said I should pull it first to make sure that is the problem. So I go to check with the parts dept, he says it is about $550 for the part. They are not in stock, they are on backorder, about 2-3 weeks out. I neglected to get a part number from them. Does anyone know what the part number for the PTU is? Rock Auto lists "4WD Actuator, and lists 2 Mopar parts, one for $437 and one for $617. No pictures. So not sure that is even the right item.
So first question is does anyone know the part number?
Second question, has anyone replaced their own PTU? I did not find much on here about the actual job, or the part number. If so, how hard of a job? I'm a fairly decent wrench, done a few clutches, water pumps, timing belts, heads & valves on an old V8, but usually with a factory manual and some forum guides to help. A little nervous about tackling this with no real guidance, and it's my daily driver, but will probably try it anyways.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the intermittent SVC 4WD light coming on randomly for months. The trailhawk would not go into 4x4 no matter what I tried. Took it to the stealership on numerous occasions. Finally they decided to replace my PTU. It was an ordeal because they had to remove the cat and pipe to get to it. They told me the nuts were too rusted (lies) to get them out and they would have to cut them in pieces to remove... and they wanted to charge me for the new pipe! ... here is my thread on the debacle. https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014...rage-question-no-4-wheel-drive-trailhawk.html

anyway.. no problems since I got the new PTU.

I'm not mechanically inclined, or I would have tried out of sheer frustration with the stealership. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

#3 · (Edited)
It might not be the PTU. It might be the wiring harness. I had the same issue with the 4WD service light. They said PTU, but when they pulled the wiring connection they found a corroded plug. Replaced the wiring at $58 instead of a PTU at $600. Thanks to an honest service tech. No 4WD srv issues since. Best to watch those water crossings.

#16 ·
Which plug was defective in your ptu experience? I seriously doubt the dealership (which charged a lot to 'read to code' and never explicitly told me what the problem was. "Internal failure." Duh... No noise but incidentally, I had a battery die and alll this started right after installing a new one. Power surge? Circuit couldn't revive? Chip fail? Anyhow...I'm going to try to find out the real reason before giving them $5000. Good grief...the counter kid at autozone can read the codes. For free.

thx

Lanny

#4 ·
According to our dealership the PTU replacement is a big deal. Lots of other parts have to come out to get it in. Tech told me it took him and one other two full days to do the swap out. Like twar, our vehicle had an issue with the exhaust, the cat to be exact. Tech stated that the bolts were cross threaded fm the factory, got a new cat and pipe on FCA.

#5 ·
Just had mine replaced recently as my "Service 4WD" light going on and off intermittently (@24K). Made an appointment with dealer and dropped off early AM and got a call later that day that there was a code for PTU issue and they thought it needed a sensor which required them to drop the PTU to replace it. My vehicle sat in the parking lot for the next week as the trans guy was swamped. I was set to go on vacation out west and needed it fixed and time was ticking away. Kept calling dealer to check progress, and they did give me a loaner, Compass. Thursday afternoon before my departure they called and said that it was decided to just replace the PTU but used last one on another job. I again pressed that I was leaving Saturday AM and reservations and arraignments were made and couldn't be changed without penalties to me. I told service guy if they didn't get it fixed and back to me by Friday afternoon they would be swapping out the Compass loaner for a Cherokee or GC TH. I was assured that PTU was ordered and would be there Friday AM and will have it back later Friday afternoon. All this to say I got it back @3:30 and literally drove it home and packed it up, so it only took the tech several hours to replace PTU. Trip went great with no problems, 5K miles with several rough backroad scenic adventures and mountain passes along the way. My biggest complaint is with having to make an appointment and having my vehicle sit in the back lot for a week before it was put on the rack.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers above. I looked for the wiring connector to check that, but I think I need to drop the unit just to get at the wiring connector. I'm thinking of giving it a shot, and thought I better order the PTU first so I have it ready to go in case it is in fact bad. However the part number that Jeep gave me is 68307403AC and the one one Rockauto is the same number except ends in 402AD. They also have one that ends in AB but that is for the 2 speed transfer case, mine is single speed. Anyone know the part number of their PTU that was replaced? I will check with Rockauto to see what they say as well.
Thanks again,
Kevin

#7 ·
Hi;
I'm currently experiencing the same issue. The svc 4wd started coming on intermittently during highway drives. The dealer diagnose similar code. Suggested ptu or ptu actuator failure.

Anyways I'm at 103k km but they are offering to do the actuator under goodwill thankfully. Ptu is on me if it is failed unfortunately.

It'll be going to get repaired in the next few weeks. Until then I'm searching for a connection failure.

awd works fine when the light is off. I've played around on some icy slopes. I just can't shift to 4low, it just gets stuck out of gear. Nightmare to get back into gear.

#9 ·
2015 Latitude, V6 engine. I have had the SVC 4WD light come on intermittently for a few months. I have over 100,000 miles on it, so it is out of warranty. It usually is only on for a few minutes at a time, then it goes off. It comes on during most trips, but not all. It is staying on a little longer now though. One weird thing, it will occasionally come on for less than a second and then go right off. I did a quick check to see if there were any obvious wiring/connector issues, but didn't find much. Guessing the connections are on top, so it will have to be dropped just to see them. I finally had it on when driving by a dealership, so I pulled in to have it checked. It is code C14A797 PTU Motor-Component or System Operation Obstructed or Blocked. The service guy was very helpful. He said it is likely the PTU unit. I told him I like to wrench on my own stuff when I can, he said I should pull it first to make sure that is the problem. So I go to check with the parts dept, he says it is about $550 for the part. They are not in stock, they are on backorder, about 2-3 weeks out. I neglected to get a part number from them. Does anyone know what the part number for the PTU is? Rock Auto lists "4WD Actuator, and lists 2 Mopar parts, one for $437 and one for $617. No pictures. So not sure that is even the right item.
So first question is does anyone know the part number?
Second question, has anyone replaced their own PTU? I did not find much on here about the actual job, or the part number. If so, how hard of a job? I'm a fairly decent wrench, done a few clutches, water pumps, timing belts, heads & valves on an old V8, but usually with a factory manual and some forum guides to help. A little nervous about tackling this with no real guidance, and it's my daily driver, but will probably try it anyways.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Kevin

#11 ·
I've put over 60,000 miles on mine since my light started coming on, no real issues yet. Still haven't figured out if I'm going to attempt it myself. I still have AWD when light is not on. However just yesterday my ABS and parking brake light came on, and as a result AWD is disabled. Don't think they are related, but possibly. So you "should" be fine, but no promises!