2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
curious what other ppl are considering for their next vehicle. so far, I haven't found anything I like better

·
Registered
79 Posts
curious what other ppl are considering for their next vehicle. so far, I haven't found anything I like better
Since I bought my 2019 Cherokee in early 2018, I’ve done a lot of research about electric vehicles. I’ve placed a preorder for a Rivian R1S. ( Rivian ) I now need 3 rows, and definitely will be going electric. My Cherokee will be my last ICE vehicle. It looks like I won’t get delivery for another 12-18 months.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The new bronco sport or full-size bronco has caught my eye (depending on final towing capacity). Might be my next vehicle especially if they put the coyote V8 in the bronco! There is no replacement for displacement. And that V8 is very reliable to boot. If not the bronco than a grand cherokee with the 5.7 hemi would suit me well. Good towing ability atleast 5k and power are my top wishes for next vehicle.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am suffering silently through that dilema now. My Cherokee is a 2016 with less than 30K so I am thinking ahead. I like the Ford Ranger FX4 pickup, also the Bronco, but early information does not indicate the Bronco can be towed even though the Ranger 4WD on which it is based, is towable. I like the idea of a pickup as I find myself occassionally needing that (and missing my Tundra). I don't need a hot rod, just something I can get up in the hills and explore with. Don't care to "rock crawl" but the locker on my TH has helped me on a few occassions. Had a Wrangler and while I really enjoyed it, they are just getting too expensive to upgrade and get lockers (Rubicon).

Have looked at electrics too as I live with relatively cheap power, but don't like the options for charging when I go full-time and it is my exploration rig. Hard to haul along a 5 gallon can of "ooans and eons" to charge the battery on top of some remote mountain top. Maybe when battery tech gets even more advanced.

Reactions: rumrunner

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Still in the honey moon stage with the 2019 TH. Not going electric anytime
soon. I'd like to be able to drive cross country with out having to stop, and
recharge a battery bank. Plus they are ugly as hell. LOL

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm heading to the Bronco..after a good year of the typical recalls and reliability issues are fixed. Sasquatch package gonna rock compared to my KL.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Plus they are ugly as hell.
Like they say, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” :eek: It took a while, but the Rivian has grown on me.

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Not shopping right now, but if I were... RAV4 Prime, rechargeable hybrid, good for 35 miles on full electric. 302HP, AWD. Kinda looks like a KL too, hahahaha... (yeah they stole the design).

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone drive a Lincoln SUV? I like highway rigs and so spoiled by the creature comforts of my limited w leather

·
Registered
121 Posts
Grand Cherokee has very nice creature comforts.

Reactions: slawek

·
Registered
832 Posts
anyone drive a Lincoln SUV? I like highway rigs and so spoiled by the creature comforts of my limited w leather
I had a 15 Ford Edge Sport. Basically pretty close to the Lincoln MKX. it was a great car, all I ever did was change the oil, put one set of brakes, and a set of tires on in 130,000 miles. Reluctantly traded it in for the Trailhawk, but got great trade in value. I've been driving Fords for 40+ years, and never had a bad one.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
At best you can get a Tesla that did the Cannon Ball Run in over 50 hours.
(no heater, cold as hell) ICE did it in 30 hours. The catch is the time to recharge
the battery bank. Gas is cheap, and I love my V6.

Not shopping right now, but if I were... RAV4 Prime, rechargeable hybrid, good for 35 miles on full electric. 302HP, AWD. Kinda looks like a KL too, hahahaha... (yeah they stole the design).

Yeah the extra weight that you have in batteries isn't really saving you the
cost of a gallon of gas. (well 42 MPG if ya break it down) Then again the
35 depends on temp, heat, well anything you need to run on a full charge.

Problem with electric is they don't give a break down of conditions. At least
with gas you get city/HWY. Plus I can fill up in less than 10 minutes after
pulling off an exit?

Electric is getting better, but still a long way off from being practical for me. 0.02

I want TRAXXAS to get in there and build a bad ass off-road vehicle! LOL

I'd have to trailer it somewhere, but it would be fun until the battery goes dead. (y)

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
At best you can get a Tesla that did the Cannon Ball Run in over 50 hours.
(no heater, cold as hell) ICE did it in 30 hours. The catch is the time to recharge
the battery bank. Gas is cheap, and I love my V6.

Yeah the extra weight that you have in batteries isn't really saving you the
cost of a gallon of gas. (well 42 MPG if ya break it down) Then again the
35 depends on temp, heat, well anything you need to run on a full charge.

Problem with electric is they don't give a break down of conditions. At least
with gas you get city/HWY. Plus I can fill up in less than 10 minutes after
pulling off an exit?

Electric is getting better, but still a long way off from being practical for me. 0.02

I want TRAXXAS to get in there and build a bad ass off-road vehicle! LOL

I'd have to trailer it somewhere, but it would be fun until the battery goes dead. (y)
It gets interesting, with rechargeable hybrids, when you drive mostly short stints because then you can run most of the time on batteries only. I live in kind of a remote area so full electric is not ideal for sure here, and with the cold winters, having an ICE is definitely a big plus.
One big problem though : I don't know about the US market, but up here the Prime already has long waiting lists, even the regular RAV4 hybrid is very tough to find because of high demand and low battery supply.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ask someone that owns a Tesla how much the electric bill went up after they installed the 240V home charging station...I'm sticking to "Recycled Dinosaurs"!!! If you do the math correctly, it is not saving you much. Then when the batteries cycle out, that's a whole different story, disposal fee, and replacement. There's quite a few gently used Teslas out there at bargain prices, because they lose 35% as soon as you drive them off the lot.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Ask someone that owns a Tesla how much the electric bill went up after they installed the 240V home charging station...I'm sticking to "Recycled Dinosaurs"!!! If you do the math correctly, it is not saving you much. Then when the batteries cycle out, that's a whole different story, disposal fee, and replacement. There's quite a few gently used Teslas out there at bargain prices, because they lose 35% as soon as you drive them off the lot.
Fair enough. To add the my side of this story, electricity up here is cheaper than in most places in North America (plentiful hydroelectricity in Quebec), and hybrids have a history of their batteries outlasting the chassis, no replacement needed. Full electric is different, though I hope I get there one day (electric motors are awwwwesome...).

·
Registered
832 Posts
Fair enough. To add the my side of this story, electricity up here is cheaper than in most places in North America (plentiful hydroelectricity in Quebec), and hybrids have a history of their batteries outlasting the chassis, no replacement needed. Full electric is different, though I hope I get there one day (electric motors are awwwwesome...).
They are getting there with EV,'s, but they have a little ways to go. That new electric Ford Mustang prototype is pretty badass, I mean 1000 electric horsepower, that's insane, immediate power!!! The charging infrastructure, though pretty good in most areas, still needs work as well. I'm not against EV's, just not convinced quite yet...They are damn fast though, for a few minutes...LOL

Reactions: XJ99

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
They are getting there with EV,'s, but they have a little ways to go. That new electric Ford Mustang prototype is pretty badass, I mean 1000 electric horsepower, that's insane, immediate power!!! The charging infrastructure, though pretty good in most areas, still needs work as well. I'm not against EV's, just not convinced quite yet...They are damn fast though, for a few minutes...LOL
So is my son's TRAXXAS SLASH!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've been casually surfing Autotrader just to see what is out there, and within a reasonable price consideration. As far as my TH goes, unfortunately, there are not many vehicles that have similar features for the price outside of FCA.

Given what I do for work, and what I'd like to do at home, a mid-size pickup is likely in my future, but unfortunately, they are generally speaking just too damn expensive. Take for example a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon, and Honda Ridgeline.

Two of those offer manual transmission options, although they are quite rare on the market, usually the ones you do see are more bare-bones models without many features. And if you do happen to find one with all the bells and whistles, it's out of my price range right now.

The Colorado/Canyon do offer a lot of features for the price, and if you do decide on the Duramax, better fuel economy can be a plus (although I think with DEF, plus the cost of diesel, the operating costs might be about the same). The Canyon Denali has a ton of nice features, plus heated seats & steering wheel, as well as ventilated seats, which is very nice. They still use a normal key though instead of keyless, so that's a bit weird.

The Frontier with the Pro-4x trim is a very compelling choice (plus a manual option) given you can most of the features I already have on my Cherokee (minus heated steering wheel, remote start, and a few other convenience features), but given that 4.0 V6 is not exactly the best engine in terms of fuel economy (would be nice if I got equal or better compared to my TH), is quite old, but shown to be pretty reliable, and same goes with the truck in general. It's compelling if you want to go back to a more basic set of wheels, yet still providing broadly similar features like back-up cams, heated seats, bluetooth, auto climate, etc.

The 2016 and newer Tacomas with a manual are also quite enticing, but like I mentioned earlier, it's rare to find one in a TRD Off-Road or Sport trim with heated seats for example, plus automatic climate control. Yes, you can spec out one, but to find a pre-owned one on the market is again, rare to find. Not to mention they are out of my price range.

And this leads me to the Honda Ridgeline. I've talked briefly about this before, but the Ridgeline encompasses what that 80 percentile of owners would ever need in a truck if they went that route. And given its unibody construction, driving, and overall handling will be much better and comfortable compared to the others. It also has a lot of onboard storage for lots of knick-knacks, and can still tow a respectable amount. I've looked into both the 1st gen, and 2nd gen, and while I would love to get a 2nd gen, pricing is again a problem there. That would leave me with the 1st gen, which if it has the correct options, it'll have back-up camera, heated seats, auto climate control, and bluetooth. No heated steering wheel like the 2nd gen, and fuel economy is not the greatest either, but it's not the worst thing.

I've pretty much narrowed by choices down to the Nissan Frontier Pro-4x w/ a manual, or a 1st Gen Honda Ridgeline in a RTL or SE trim. Both would provide a step up in practicality, while losing some of the convenience I've been accustomed to in the Cherokee, so there's that. I've also considered the possibility of not even going with a truck, and instead going with another Crossover/SUV. Top of the list is the Toyota 4Runner, but fuel economy, and lack of some of the features we should be expecting these days do hold it back if you go with an older model.

So yeah, been doing lots of dabbling, and seeing what's out there, but at the end of the day, I still come back to my Cherokee because despite its questionable reliability at times, plus FCA in general, it is a good vehicle, and has treated me well in almost 4 years of ownership. Replacing the PTU, and auto liftgate motor are items that I will eventually replace. I also will be looking into a new set of tires this fall, plus potentially some new suspension components.

In a perfect world though, if Honda made a Ridgeline with all the features from their RTL-E model, plus added ventilated seats, AND provided a hybrid model (while not sacrificing on towing and hauling), that would be about the perfect vehicle for me.

Reactions: Mark_
1 - 20 of 89 Posts