2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the stuff that you can do with the Uconnect screen seems great until you have to keep switching between different menus. it's a small hassle I know, but I'd much prefer buttons for directing air flow, adjusting seat heating and radio stations. I miss actual fixed buttons to press for these things. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have found the Auto climate control button usually provides comfortable climate control. I just select the temperature I want.
I use the buttons on the hidden (forward) side of the steering wheel to change radio stations and volume.
Heated seats and steering wheel time out. Sometimes I need to change the seat heating to low.
At night I turn the screen off, dim the dash lights to nearly off and use the large EVIC MPH setting to see my speed.
My 2014 TH was my first car since I bought my 1996 Oldsmobile LSS, so everything was a technology shock to me. My first vehicle ever with 4WD and a rear locker.
The whole learning curve has been a challenge. I don't have a "smart" anything just a "dumb" cell phone so I am way behind the technology curve.
This Web site helps me cope.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes the auto seat heating doesn't turn on when I turn the car on so I have to go into the menu to do that and always want the lower setting. Moving back and forth between radio and bluetooth for my phone takes going into the screen. It would be great if you could maybe program the steering wheel buttons to do different things. It's all a small hassle I know, just more efficient if there were physical buttons.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Anything important I just drag down to the main bar plus voice commands work that’s even easier. If we had knobs for everything then we would be asking them for a touch screen
But I’m pretty use to it all now!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date April 2019

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I was hoping the AlfaOBD scan tool could have seat heat start at low. Maybe somebody knows.
Heated seats and heated steering wheel seem to turn on at different ambient temperatures.
I think we are at the mercy of the FCA engineers.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think dragging items only works on Uconnect version 5C?
Not sure if I can use voice commands to change climate control settings?
There are lots of things I don't know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 V6 Latitude with over 50,000 miles (I am a salesman with huge territory) has started to freeze the screen and ask for a security code. I do not have the code so luckily after stopping and re-starting a couple times it goes away and works fine. What happens the day it doesn't go away?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree that I would prefer a few more buttons- particularly for the seat and steering wheel heat. I do have both seat heaters configured at the bottom of the screen so they are always available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Modern technology, you got to love it!!! I've gotten used to the touchscreen, and finally figured out most of the settings and shortcuts. The only annoying thing still for me, is that extra bright Nav screen at night. I don't use it much, so I've learned to live with it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Only hard buttons I wish were there are seat/steering wheel heat/ventilation buttons. I'm good with everything else being on-screen. I've been living with a Cherokee since 2014, though, and just got a new 2020, so I'm used to it by now. I'm doing most things by voice, anyway.

One thing that is REALLY annoying me is that Apple CarPlay doesn't come up if you start the car with your phone already plugged into the USB, forcing me to disconnect and reconnect it. If anyone knows a work-around for that, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Modern technology, you got to love it!!! I've gotten used to the touchscreen, and finally figured out most of the settings and shortcuts. The only annoying thing still for me, is that extra bright Nav screen at night. I don't use it much, so I've learned to live with it.
The Nav screen at night is fully adjustable at night in settings. You can go to manual setting and adjust it. When setting it adjust it when headlights are off and adjust it when headlights are on.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date April 2019

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have found the Auto climate control button usually provides comfortable climate control. I just select the temperature I want.
Mine does... at first. Once the interior temperature reaches the set temp, it then tries too hard to hold that temp. I find it blowing full HOT or full COLD at random intervals. Annoys the hell out of me! ? Also, you can't set it for "nothing" and just blow in the outside ambient air.
I really want plain old manual HVAC controls, where I can set it to OFF or WARM and just have it blow air at one, set temperature.
Did I mention I HATE the Auto-Climate Control? ?

Speaking of Auto-On settings... WHY can't we turn OFF the radio?! Seriously!
Not the whole system, not "mute" the volume after it's turned itself on, just turn off the radio itself and still have all the other functions working. It ain't rocket surgery here!

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
You guys can drag short cuts down to the bottom of the screen
for the stuff you use most. As far as radio goes, what's the difference
if the volume is all the way down, or muted? LOL, there's no sound.

As for the hot/cold issue, mine used to do that but has mellowed out
on the intensity. Never use Auto Climate, because my wife likes it hot,
while I like it cooler.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Because when you start the Jeep again, the radio is back ON (not muted), and I often don't want it on. Simple?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also find the HVAC frustrating. On a warm day, if I have it in manual mode with the A/C light off, it still blows cold air! I have to turn the A/C on then off, and only then can I get ambient air.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I also find the HVAC frustrating. On a warm day, if I have it in manual mode with the A/C light off, it still blows cold air! I have to turn the A/C on then off, and only then can I get ambient air.
I will have to try that, thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
Because when you start the Jeep again, the radio is back ON (not muted), and I often don't want it on. Simple?
LOL, turn the volume down before shutting the Jeep down.
It's never bothered me, now a simple flash to keep the
stupid Start/Stop to default to on to off would be simple.
Some guy in his garage has made a device that does
this, so why can't the Jeep service department do the
same? SIMPLE right? LOL

·
Premium Member
1,412 Posts
That's weird. If I have the A/C light off it blows ambient air all the time.
Then again this is on my 2019. I don't drive the 2018 much...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2019 Cherokee TrailHawk (not Elite). This is my first car with a touchscreen console. It took some getting used to but I like it. The software is a little buggy sometimes. I’ve had to pull the radio fuse 2 times in 6 months because a soft reset wouldn’t fix it. Only Apple CarPlay stuff. Everything else is alright. I can deal with it. I really like the car.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't mind the screen, I do however hate the seat and wheel heaters on the screen. Our JLU Wrangler has both screen and buttons on dash d=for them both, really so much better! Other than that I find this system great, much better stuff than vehicles worth lots more, far ahead!

Go Jeep

1 - 20 of 22 Posts