2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over and have not found a single brand that makes slotted only coated rotors for the dual piston brakes on the trailhawk. The closest I have found are the centric/stop tech coated and slotted rotors for single piston, or the powerstop coated, drilled and slotted rotors for dual piston. I think I might need to just bite the bullet and get the drilled and slotted ones. So far I have checked bosch, brembo, wagner, powerstop, centric/stop tech, EBC, and raybestos.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think centric are close. I will confirm with their sales team.

·
Registered
923 Posts
drilled and slotted are a close to being a gimmick. real cars that need them usually have very expensive and exotic brakes
buy good quality set such as raybestos Element 3

·
Registered
425 Posts
Unless you are tracking the car and doing high speed stops back to back, then just go with a decent set of OEM style rotors from raybestos, powerstop you know a name brand. Slotted really does not help with heat transfer but more of evacuating the gases between the pad and rotor. But the down side to this is the rotors wear out faster, and some will argue can hurt performance in a small way due to less total surface are for the pads to clamp onto (same with drilled which also like to crack). Get a good set of pads and rotors, and drain and fill with new brake fluid if it is higher milage as brake fluid is hydroscopic and over time will hold on to moisture and cause a mushy pedal.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I’d agree with Rand on the drilled rotors - in fact many drilled rotors (not those with cast holes) can suffer from cracks. But slotted rotors can be an advantage, especially when you have to use the brakes a lot, as in towing in the mountains or agressive driving on twisty roads. Emissions from the very hot pads (some pads anyway) can reduce the friction between the pads and the rotors. The slots will help to vent these away, increasing friction. For most uses you’d be hard pressed to tell any difference. I’ve used them for tracking, and AFAIKT pad wear was the same, while stopping was slightly improved. Even if pad wear was worse, I’ll trade shorter pad life for better stopping any day, pads are easy to change while body damage (mine) is a lot more challenging.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My OEM rotors (with OEM pads) started shaking (what most people call warped) after only 1500 miles of driving (car had 4700 when I bought it so around 6200 miles). So I was looking for a replacement that is better than the crap OEM ones. Apparently I have a lead foot and do routine heavy braking all the time so I need a good set that will put up with this. However I am not buying carbon ceramic, or new calipers. Since I live in the rust belt I also need coated rotors but I have seen how even after one year coated rotors start to look bad so I have thought about perhaps painting them with high temp epoxy (not on the braking surface but on the hats and sides and such) to keep them looking nice longer, plus I hate dealing with the rust when working on brakes after many years.

I am aware of the drawbacks to drilled but I like the look so I was going to compromise with either slotted or slotted and dimpled. I will not be getting just plain faced rotors.

My plan was to only replace the rotors and not the pads since the pads have only 13000 miles on them and very little wear but from what I have read usually it is a good idea to replace the pads too.

I have been doing research and haven't found the brand that the OEM pads are. My best guess is that they are Akebono but I am not 100% sure on it. I don't know what brand make the OEM rotors.

I have been looking for the exact dimensions of OEM rotors as well but haven't found them yet.

brakeperformance (per the comment posted by @sanghill ) does seem to make rotors for the cherokee (according to their website) that would fit my criteria. They apparently use centric/stop tech rotors and then machine them in-house. I also want to contact centric to ask about their options. There is one other company I saw that seems interesting called DBA (disk brakes australia) that get good reviews and although their website doesn't say they have any for the cherokee I think perhaps if I knew the OEM dimensions more options would appear. I think I will also make a call to a brake performance shop and see what they can find for me.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Did something happen to 2019+ brakes ? Prior generation pads and rotors have an excellent reputation for performance and durability, at least from reports here on the forum - and my own experience.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,608 Posts
Did something happen to 2019+ brakes ? Prior generation pads and rotors have an excellent reputation for performance and durability, at least from reports here on the forum - and my own experience.
I haven't had any problems with mine. The brakes are excellent, and don't seem to be wearing prematurely at all. 🤔

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Refer to Post #7
The front brake pads on my 2014 V6 TH brake code BRG are Advics PN VC076H FF
FF is the pad hardness.

I have a theory that when a new vehicle sits on the new car lot the brake rotors rust.
Not so much between the pad and the rotor.
Results in uneven brake performance. The pads don't ever seem to create an even friction surface.
I ordered from the factory and did not have a problem.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a theory that when a new vehicle sits on the new car lot the brake rotors rust.
Not so much between the pad and the rotor.
Results in uneven brake performance. The pads don't ever seem to create an even friction surface.
I ordered from the factory and did not have a problem.
Yes they do and it is 100% normal. A quick drive will get rid of the surgace rust and all is good. And it is not just new cars, its any car.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Brakes on my 2019 Limited (single pistons) are just fine, no need to change/replace them. I don’t tow but do drive spiritedly and drive in the mountains regularly. Haven’t noticed any excessive fade or wear...and I do check them when rotating my tires.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have done a bunch of research and am narrowing down my new rotors. Also decided to replace all the brake pads at the same time since they say you are supposed to do that. I really like the EBC USR sport rotors, but unfortunately they don't make ones for the rear (edit: they do). (pictures below are representative of the model but not the exact rotor for a cherokee)

If I want to have rotors that look the same front and rear then my options are limited to brakeperformance, r1concepts, and stoptech/centric.

Here are the brakeperformance ones:

Here are the r1concepts:

Here are the stoptech ones:

It's a game of compromises unfortunately. In a perfect world I would find the EBC ones for front and rear, and they would be black geomet coated post drilling. But that doesn't exist and I'm not spending the money to have someone do it for me.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have done a bunch of research and am narrowing down my new rotors. Also decided to replace all the brake pads at the same time since they say you are supposed to do that. I really like the EBC USR sport rotors, but unfortunately they don't make ones for the rear, only the front.

View attachment 212849

If I want to have rotors that look the same front and rear then my options are limited to brakeperformance, r1concepts, and stoptech/centric.

Here are the brakeperformance ones:

View attachment 212850

Here are the r1concepts:

View attachment 212851

Here are the stoptech ones:

View attachment 212852
What's the price for those things, and what pads are you going with???

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Also great decision to change the pads, with the rotors. I mean, you're going to have everything apart anyway, right???🤔

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also great decision to change the pads, with the rotors. I mean, you're going to have everything apart anyway, right???🤔
Just sucks to have to change pads with only like 16000 miles on them but 🤷‍♂️ that's life. I already decided I would replace the rotors. When I take off the OEM ones I will get them turned and then I could hang onto them as spares I guess.

For pads I'm probably going to get EBC or Akebono. I had akebono on my last car and they were fine, with basically zero dust. Never tried EBC. Basically have to decide if I want regular braking performance or extreme braking performance lol. More braking performance means more pad/rotor wear and dust. I'm curious if it is worth getting pads that will wear faster but break better especially when towing heavy loads. I expect by the time I'm done adding stuff to my vehicle that it will be at least 5000 lbs all the time I drive around.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was concerned that there were so few options online but there are a decent amount, as long as you know the dimensions of the rotor more options will open up for you. Here's what I have for the cherokee with HD brakes (hopefully it is right):

front:
diameter: 13in or 330mm
thickness: 1.102in or 28mm
vented: yes

rear:
diameter: 12.6in or 320mm
thickness: 0.472in or 12mm
vented: no solid

For non HD brakes the rears are smaller.

Hopefully these specs are close enough. I have also found that by using search terms for a 2014 cherokee trailhawk I get more options. Very few options for a 2019+ BUT as far as I know the shape/design of the rotors hasn't changed between models.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sometimes the "warped" rotor feeling is pad deposits on your rotors.. and not actually warped.

Those all look pretty cool. I wouldnt spend the extra on them over the very good raybestos eh3
but its your money what makes you happy right? (y)

Despite all the marketing I've found in the brake part world.. some of the generic looking parts outperform the "performance looking" parts.

Worst brakes I ever had 2x were powerstop brand and really good looking.

I had some Ctek rotors that looked like 15$ chinese rotors.. and they worked perfect for years.

I've done a few brake jobs.. mostly on family and friends vehicles.
this is just my Amazon parts list of last few years.. actually ordered 2x that much from rockauto.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sometimes the "warped" rotor feeling is pad deposits on your rotors.. and not actually warped.

Those all look pretty cool. I wouldnt spend the extra on them over the very good raybestos eh3
but its your money what makes you happy right? (y)

Despite all the marketing I've found in the brake part world.. some of the generic looking parts outperform the "performance looking" parts.

Worst brakes I ever had 2x were powerstop brand and really good looking.

I had some Ctek rotors that looked like 15$ chinese rotors.. and they worked perfect for years.

I've done a few brake jobs.. mostly on family and friends vehicles.
this is just my Amazon parts list of last few years.. actually ordered 2x that much from rockauto.

View attachment 212873
Wasn't pad deposits:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a pic of the EBC installed. They are working fine so far and fixed my shaking problem:

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 20 of 23 Posts