2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get hold of a 2019 (Aussie) steering wheel with Paddles for a really good price - but I figure it's gonna be a waste of time if there's no wiring for the electronics to even see it in my Oct 2014 Trailhawk (ie. vehicle side from the slipring).

I do realise using Alfa OBD etc. would be necessary but that's useless if there's no wiring for it - and I'm wondering how the CANBUS system comes into this - ie. does there even need to be specific wiring or does it just become another channel on the existing CANBUS?.

I'm ideally wanting to make the paddles operate my existing ERS +/- function - NOT enable Autostick etc.

Anyone have info / useful insight / advice on this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's been tried unsuccessfully by a member recently on his 2019 Trailhawk Elite. @sqenixs might be some help to you. He can probably explain to you why it didn't work. He's pretty easy to find around here.

·
Registered
596 Posts
But...Since you are in Australia, where they are actually available, who knows, maybe you guys have some special Aussie software that we don't have here in North America. Worth researching I guess.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can get hold of a 2019 (Aussie) steering wheel with Paddles for a really good price - but I figure it's gonna be a waste of time if there's no wiring for the electronics to even see it in my Oct 2014 Trailhawk (ie. vehicle side from the slipring).

I do realise using Alfa OBD etc. would be necessary but that's useless if there's no wiring for it - and I'm wondering how the CANBUS system comes into this - ie. does there even need to be specific wiring or does it just become another channel on the existing CANBUS?.

I'm ideally wanting to make the paddles operate my existing ERS +/- function - NOT enable Autostick etc.

Anyone have info / useful insight / advice on this?
If the paddles come on standard on any cherokee in Australia then it would probably be possible. You would need to confirm with a dealer if they are an option that can be enabled. They are not an option in North America and I believe the BCM does not have the proper software for it. I tried to enable it and messed up my BCM settings and needed it reprogrammed by the dealer.

As for autostick/ERS, you will get whatever behavior it has on a cherokee with factory paddles. No way to change that.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I saw your fun and games sqenixs so I'm not really optimistic outside the possibility of getting our dealer to put 2019 programming into our 2014 machine (Aussie 2019 KL does come with paddles) - or agreeing to fit a 2019 TCM with that programming. There's political noises here about making it illegal for domestic and agricultural vehicle manufacturers to have proprietary software systems and / or proprietary access to software - which might be a path to salvation with this stuff, but that's gonna be years away from resolution.

Next thing I need to do is get a second shifter and see if I can physically reverse the way +/- works on the ers position (not gonna go to the trouble of pulling my current shifter assy out to look). From a rational point of view I understand the rationale behind fwd being downshift and back being upshift but I cannot for the life of me come to grips with it while driving - I'll do fine for ages then come out of a tight bend into a straight, accelerate hard and toggle the shifter to go up from 2nd - but instead drop into 1st... Just too many years of manually selecting my auto shift between D, 3, 2 and 1 - so FWD to upshift and BACK to downshift is too heavily ingrained.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
THe 2015-2017 Chrysler 200 UF platform uses the same BCM as the cherokee. They have auto stick and paddles, they can be added. Yes i'm aware someone tried with a 2019, non paddle equipped 200's have swapped in paddles quite easily. If I had paddles i'd put them on my 2014 but I have zero desire for them as I have them on my Grand Cherokee and hardly ever use them (the vehicle is faster letting it shift on it's own)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tyler! - I mite go ahead and grab that wheel. I HATE using brakes a lot on mountain roads - and I drive a lot on winding steep mountain roads here - Sport is the best mode to use as it holds gears much better than the other modes - but I still end up very busy on the ERS at times as well - so I'd really appreciate paddles!

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KL Wheel.jpg
On it's way - I'm bit baffled by what looks like adaptive cruise activate button on bottom row right - but no distance +/- buttons... For a changeover process that seems to amount to disconnect battery for half hour then pop internal spring clips for the airbag (which I can master on the new wheel first) then it's just connectors and one big nut - I'll just chuck it on - even if the paddles never end up becoming functional...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yeah, I saw your fun and games sqenixs so I'm not really optimistic outside the possibility of getting our dealer to put 2019 programming into our 2014 machine (Aussie 2019 KL does come with paddles) - or agreeing to fit a 2019 TCM with that programming. There's political noises here about making it illegal for domestic and agricultural vehicle manufacturers to have proprietary software systems and / or proprietary access to software - which might be a path to salvation with this stuff, but that's gonna be years away from resolution.

Next thing I need to do is get a second shifter and see if I can physically reverse the way +/- works on the ers position (not gonna go to the trouble of pulling my current shifter assy out to look). From a rational point of view I understand the rationale behind fwd being downshift and back being upshift but I cannot for the life of me come to grips with it while driving - I'll do fine for ages then come out of a tight bend into a straight, accelerate hard and toggle the shifter to go up from 2nd - but instead drop into 1st... Just too many years of manually selecting my auto shift between D, 3, 2 and 1 - so FWD to upshift and BACK to downshift is too heavily ingrained.
I looked into doing what you say and running some wiring myself to the paddles and linking them up with the +/- but that was too much effort so I gave up. All I know is that 2019+ alfaobd will not work to enable paddle shift for north american models. I also happen to know a friend of a friend who is high up at FCA and they were told about what I did and they basically said it wouldn't have worked. I am also convinced based on my use of alfaobd (I kept messing with stuff after I broke my car configuration) that there are other modules that have changed that alfaobd cannot properly communicate with on 2019+, based on the debug logs I read and would need updates to its source code (I'm a software engineer by trade).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm hoping and holding breath that's what was behind your issues and the option will be there in the earlier model to enable ers control thru paddles. I'm running short on budget at this stage - next work planned and budgetted is Aerochamber muffler and Berklee fwd resonator installation next week so I'll have to wait until after that cost is finalised to work out whether I can grab the OBD module and baggy of adapters straight away to fire up Alpha OBD or save beer money for a while again. I've also got USA light switch on it's way - to see if I can have normal Aussie / USA style park light functionality just with the switch change. Not having normal park lights - including the issues that causes in low light with instrument panel lighting - makes me nuts. A note to Jeep: NORMAL AUSSIE VEHICLE LIGHTING LAYOUT IS SAME AS USA - NOT EUROPE!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping and holding breath that's what was behind your issues and the option will be there in the earlier model to enable ers control thru paddles. I'm running short on budget at this stage - next work planned and budgetted is Aerochamber muffler and Berklee fwd resonator installation next week so I'll have to wait until after that cost is finalised to work out whether I can grab the OBD module and baggy of adapters straight away to fire up Alpha OBD or save beer money for a while again. I've also got USA light switch on it's way - to see if I can have normal Aussie / USA style park light functionality just with the switch change. Not having normal park lights - including the issues that causes in low light with instrument panel lighting - makes me nuts. A note to Jeep: NORMAL AUSSIE VEHICLE LIGHTING LAYOUT IS SAME AS USA - NOT EUROPE!!!!
I looked into replacing my light controls with the one from the euro spec because I wanted rear fog light switch, however I don't believe the wiring for rear fog lights exists on my vehicle so it would be too much effort to add. If I ever do it I may just hook into the tail lights like others (pre 2019) have done. However, they don't currently make an aftermarket fog light insert for 2019+ vehicles so I have to wait. Also, since I have taken the rear bumper off before, I am pretty sure that installing rear fog lights would require me to take the rear bumper off again (because of how the plastic housings for the rear reflectors are attached) which is a huge hassle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We get rear foglights (red) and front small lights that I think are "Driving Lights" (white) - with the split centre switch - so in my case I was hoping the single centre button on the USA light switch would operate front + rear lights - but even if it only operates the front driving lights that's fine as again, rear fog lights are not normally a common thing here - tho in recent decade or so they have been appearing as std on most imported models. Only time I use them myself is when I have some dickhead tailgating me - particularly on winding mountain road at night. Drivers in the area we live are 80% total retards...

EDIT: got and fitted USA Light Switch - ie. with single centre pushbutton (for front fogs?) - but the vehicle doesn't recognise it - I'm wondering if it would with Proxi Alignment?? - might try that wen i've done sorting my steering wheel out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
THe 2015-2017 Chrysler 200 UF platform uses the same BCM as the cherokee. They have auto stick and paddles, they can be added. Yes i'm aware someone tried with a 2019, non paddle equipped 200's have swapped in paddles quite easily. If I had paddles i'd put them on my 2014 but I have zero desire for them as I have them on my Grand Cherokee and hardly ever use them (the vehicle is faster letting it shift on it's own)

Tyler - are those screens from KL Cherokee options in AlpaOBD - or from Chrysler 200 options?? - asking because I'll be fitting my paddleshifter wheel when Im home from my current work tour in a couple of weeks - so am about to order an OBDLink MX+ so that'll be home by the time I get back there too. Having trouble locating a BeMatik adapter set for Apha vehicles but still working on that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
They are from the KL selection in AlfaOBD
Thanks! (y) - EDIT: I'm a dumb-ass - I had completely not noticed the Vehicle Configurations option under BCM - where those sections for Paddle Shifters and ERS / Autostick are.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had paddle shifters on my 2012 srt8 and i see no diff from manual shifting on my chereokee 2.0 and 3.2. Yes i rather have the paddle shifters. You can do all the manual shifting with 1 hand on the cherokee.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are from the KL selection in AlfaOBD
Oh! - do I need any of the three coloured BeMatik adapter cables to access that module? - and is it the Electronic Shift Module or Transmission?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had paddle shifters on my 2012 srt8 and i see no diff from manual shifting on my chereokee 2.0 and 3.2. Yes i rather have the paddle shifters. You can do all the manual shifting with 1 hand on the cherokee.
Haha - my thread name is a bit misleading - I meant is it worth fitting a later (2019) model Steering wheel with paddles to my Oct 2014 Trailhawk - ie. can I enable them. From what Tyler's saying it shud be possible with OBDLink MX and Alpha OBD.

As far as any point having paddle shifting at all (and on my TH it would just be controlling ERS +/- I guess) - I'm not after manual shifting or anything like that - ie. I won't even ask about enabling Autostick - because ERS does what I want as far as being able to shift top gear up and down for driving on hilly and mountain roads. I use ERS a lot for controlling speed but find the console shifter isn't far enough forward to be really comfortable - so paddles on the wheel will be awesome!

History behind this is first time I drove on a mountain road I was feeling the existing buttons on back of the wheel wishing they could be set to control the ers. Then I tripped over youtube of a guy fitting paddles to his Chrysler 200 and though lucky *******! - then came across comments by Tyler about enabling paddles on 2014/15 TH using Alpha OBD. Research on that blew my mind - THEN on ebay I tripped over a 2019 KL steering wheel with factory paddles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
It's in the BCM no adapter needed.
In theory according to AlfaOBD you can change ERS to autostick as well.
Thanks again Tyler - I appreciate ur info and help more than I can adequately express! I've been on the track of sticking with ERS as it does what I need for hilly driving but using the shifter is a pain - autostick would be sweet but I'm concerned at how it can be enabled - ie. enabling paddles is just getting the system to recognise the input from the wheel - but surely autostick is a trans module "strategy" change? I guess they're saying it IS in there and just needs to be enabled.

To see the roads I travel, google "Targa Barrier Reef Gillies Range" and "...... Kuranda Range" you'll see how tight and twisting those roads are - particularly the Gillies.

- Going UP either range is easy enough - it's coming down that you either run ur brakes red hot or end up very busy with the console shifter...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts