2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Ok that explains it. Jeep has to roll to get ESS to kick in. With a warmed up engine and rolling, you should have ESS back.
Yep, and if the ESS works even once, and the ESS N/A, battery charging message goes away, then that's telling us that the battery is definitely on its last leg. I think a new one will soon be in order, and should solve the issue...馃槑

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
Yep, and if the ESS works even once, and the ESS N/A, battery charging message goes away, then that's telling us that the battery is definitely on its last leg. I think a new one will soon be in order, and should solve the issue...馃槑
Exactly, if a battery doesn't recover from a HVAC/Stop active condition, to Start/Stop available, with in a few moments, then you know it is not taking a charge from the alternator as quickly as it should...
I noticed on the new X2 Power, even after sitting for 2 days, it becomes available as soon as it is up to temp, this is what I expected (but never experienced until the past month) from this tech! :cool:

Registered
Went for a ride, the ESS is working and the battery charging message is gone (for now).
Good. We now know battery health is at play. Keep an eye on it, see how long / how often you have ESS available ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I will definitely keep an eye on it. Not going anywhere today but have a short (60 mile) trip tomorrow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Well the car sat yesterday and we went to birthday party for our grandson today, about 60 miles round trip. Once the car warmed up I had the same message as in my original post. (Start/Stop not ready battery charging) After driving for about 10 minutes of driving the display showed Start/Stop Ready and the ESS worked fine. I am assuming that this is indicating the battery is starting to bad?

Registered
Well the car sat yesterday and we went to birthday party for our grandson today, about 60 miles round trip. Once the car warmed up I had the same message as in my original post. (Start/Stop not ready battery charging) After driving for about 10 minutes of driving the display showed Start/Stop Ready and the ESS worked fine. I am assuming that this is indicating the battery is starting to bad?
Starting to go bad, yes. If I compare with what mine did, you have time. Just how much time I can't say, but probably months before you get into escalating electrical problems. But best to get the battery replacement train rolling sooner than later ;)

You would be correct. Could be fine for a while, or it might possibly strand you tomorrow. You never know with these things...馃槑
I highly doubt it will just die in the coming weeks, even months. But I agree it's time to replace it. Better to do it now with a heads up than wait until real problems creep up.

I know I'm repeating myself, but I pushed mine as far as my nerves allowed, meaning a no start (remote start) at -20F, along with constant 4WD unavailable and steering assist unavailable on cold starts. And weaker cranking power. At this point, ESS would never come back alive even on a long drive.
Folks who have experienced severe failures either had no ESS or, if they had it, it was disabled (manually or with a gizmo). ESS is a good battery health monitor, a good early alert system, haha.

Registered
Something else that might be of interest to some. If anyone is thinking about buying a premium battery but feel now just isn't the time yet, because the battery in the Jeep seems to have many months of life left in it... well here's my .02 :

Best battery out there now for KLs is the Northstar 94R (and its clone the X2 Power 94R from Batteries +).
And now we've recently learned that Odyssey (part of EnerSys), who bought Northstar 2 years ago, have seemingly stopped/ended production of the Northstar battery lines (this would include the X2 Power, but no official word on this). EnerSys produces a very decent premium AGM too, the 94R-850 (new name ODP-AGM94R ), but its warranty is only 3 years replacement, and it costs about the same as a Northstar.
Premium thin plate pure lead AGM batteries can sit on a shelf for 2 years without getting a charge, with no permament damage.
My guess right now is that resellers of both Northstar and X2 Power batteries are simply clearing out what they have left... and who knows when they will run out.

So you know where I'm going with this ? If you think you want a Northstar/X2 Power, but just not right now..? Maybe right now is your last chance... With a great shelf life, no worries if you find one that has a lot of dust on it ;)

Registered
I will probably get a new battery next week. This week is going to be a little hectic. I know Batteries + shows a limited supply of the X2 battery and was wondering how this compares.

That Duracell is the same lead-calcium AGM found almost everywhere, under different labels. Some of them show 800CCA, others 850CCA (like the Autozone Duralast Platinum), but... all other specs being identical, I suspect the resellers can play with the CCA number a bit. This would be the OEM equivalent (= clone).

If you can find it, Walmart has this battery for $169 (3 year replacement + 2 years pro rated) :

Reactions: tasdisr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
That Duracell is the same lead-calcium AGM found almost everywhere, under different labels. Some of them show 800CCA, others 850CCA (like the Autozone Duralast Platinum), but... all other specs being identical, I suspect the resellers can play with the CCA number a bit. This would be the OEM equivalent (= clone).

If you can find it, Walmart has this battery for $169 (3 year replacement + 2 years pro rated) :
Thanks, the only reason I am looking at something less expensive is that I probably will not keep the car for more than a couple of years.

Registered
Thanks, the only reason I am looking at something less expensive is that I probably will not keep the car for more than a couple of years.
I 100% agree you (in your situation) don't need to spend $80-$100 more on a premium AGM. But you do need an AGM.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Just for laughs I asked the Jeep dealer how much a battery would be. $264 plus $75.00 for the install.

Registered
Just for laughs I asked the Jeep dealer how much a battery would be. $264 plus $75.00 for the install.
I've seen worse (from dealerships). Just remember that the Mopar battery is the same as all the other non premium AGMs out there, which all pretty much retail for $220-ish. Best deal I've seen lately is at Walmart (US only) :

One difference with the Walmart one compared to others is the warranty though. Theirs is 3 year full replacement plus an extra 2 years pro rated, while many other labels (Autozone Duralast Platinum, Batteries+ Duracell Ultra Platinum, etc...) sport a 4 year replacement warranty ; but they cost more.
Ther Mopar battery warranty is, I believe a 3 year replacement with perhaps an extra pro rated period. So too expensive for sure...

Edit for correction : Autozone's Duralast Platinum only has a 3 year repalcement warranty. So best to check that when you shop around...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
One difference with the Walmart one compared to others is the warranty though. Theirs is 3 year full replacement plus an extra 2 years pro rated....
If anyone buys that battery they should verify that warranty though. The battery pictured says 3 year, 2 years pro-rated on it, but the text in the detailed description (in two different places) says 4 year free replacement.

Reactions: Mark_

Registered
If anyone buys that battery they should verify that warranty though. The battery pictured says 3 year, 2 years pro-rated on it, but the text in the detailed description (in two different places) says 4 year free replacement.
Good catch, I missed that. To me, 4 year replcement sounds better, it just depends on what the pro rated conditions are I guess...

41 - 60 of 68 Posts