2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always turn the ESS off after starting my 2019 Cherokee Limited. I was toggling the screens on Info display and noticed this message. I have taken a couple of rides this week each one lasting from an hour to an hour and a half but the message stays on. I figure the battery is ok since the car has no problems cranking the engine.

Attachments

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I always turn the ESS off after starting my 2019 Cherokee Limited. I was toggling the screens on Info display and noticed this message. I have taken a couple of rides this week each one lasting from an hour to an hour and a half but the message stays on. I figure the battery is ok since the car has no problems cranking the engine.
Battery is likely on its way out. I'd replace it before it DOES strand you. We recommend this one...馃槑https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/auto_light-truck/battery/x2power/sli94ragmdp

Registered
I confirm the battery is slowly dying. Hard to tell how much life it has left. Cranking power can be deceiving, I didn't really notice mine decrease because it happened so gradually... until it almost didn't start in really cold weather. It was only once I had the new battery in that I really noticed how strong it cranked - and how the old one had declined in comparison.

Have the battery tested for free at a big auto parts store. You may have months of usable life left in it, but to be safe I for one would not wait too long to replace it... especially with winter here (if you have cold winters where you are).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery is likely on its way out. I'd replace it before it DOES strand you. We recommend this one...馃槑https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/auto_light-truck/battery/x2power/sli94ragmdp
I confirm the battery is slowly dying. Hard to tell how much life it has left. Cranking power can be deceiving, I didn't really notice mine decrease because it happened so gradually... until it almost didn't start in really cold weather. It was only once I had the new battery in that I really noticed how strong it cranked - and how the old one had declined in comparison.

Have the battery tested for free at a big auto parts store. You may have months of usable life left in it, but to be safe I for one would not wait too long to replace it... especially with winter here (if you have cold winters where you are).
Thanks for the information. That is what I thought may be the problem but I will have the battery checked hopefully tomorrow.

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
In the newer autos that have battery monitoring (all of mine since about 10 years ago have had it), the alternator will keep upping the charge rate to try and compensate, then, its a no start (not the click,click,click of old) and you're done... A persistent 'Start/Stop unavailable Battery Charging' on the Cherokee, is the writing on the wall for a battery.
Don't blame it on Jeep, batteries just aren't made like they used to be... I've bought more batteries in the last 10 years, then in all my driving life prior combined... (like since before the fall of Saigon...)
:cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Thanks for the information. That is what I thought may be the problem but I will have the battery checked hopefully tomorrow.
If you can, ask the person who tests it to hand you the test results (CCA remaining, %health, %charge, internal resistance). And let us know how it went.

Because of the battery cover, we can't see the battery specs. If they ask you, tell them your battery is rated at 700CCA and is AGM.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I keep one of these in the car.

Registered
Glad I keep one of these in the car.

You likely won't ever get there, but just know that when one of these batteries reaches advanced state of degradatoin, you wouldn't be able to boost the vehicle then have it run on its own ; it might start, but would stall shortly after. We've had a few reports of this happening, folks had waited too long to replace the battery. The most extreme scenario (also reported here) is that the Jeep stalls in traffic on a dead battery, even if the alternator is pushing adequately. But don't worry (yet), you have wiggle room. I hope ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Despite my better thoughts I took my car to the Jeep dealer. They told me the battery checked out fine. Taking my Cherokee to Batteries Plus tomorrow to have them check it out.

Attachments

Registered
Despite my better thoughts I took my car to the Jeep dealer. They told me the battery checked out fine. Taking my Cherokee to Batteries Plus tomorrow to have them check it out.
It says 'printout attached' for the GR8 battery test. Do you have it ? Just curious..

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It says 'printout attached' for the GR8 battery test. Do you have it ? Just curious..
I never even noticed that.They did not attach the printout. My bad. I was in a hurry to get out of there because of all the traffic.
I am curious to see what the test shows tomorrow

When I called the dealer back to tell him I was still getting the Battery Charging message, he told me I might have to drive up to 100 miles to get the battery fully charged and the message to go off. (This was before I saw your message about the printout)

Registered
I never even noticed that.They did not attach the printout. My bad. I was in a hurry to get out of there because of all the traffic.
I am curious to see what the test shows tomorrow
No worries. Do try and get the Batteries+ test numbers though, could be revealing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much driving do you think it would take normally to get the battery not charged to turn off if what the dealer told me is true?

Registered
How much driving do you think it would take normally to get the battery not charged to turn off if what the dealer told me is true?
To turn off ? Sorry I don't understand your question..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dealer told me that the battery was fine and Start/Stop not ready Battery Charging message would not not go away until the car was driven anywhere from 80-100 miles in one trip before the battery was charged enough for the battery to be charged and the start/stop to function properly. Hope that makes sense.

Registered
The dealer told me that the battery was fine and Start/Stop not ready Battery Charging message would not not go away until the car was driven anywhere from 80-100 miles in one trip before the battery was charged enough for the battery to be charged and the start/stop to function properly. Hope that makes sense.
Perfect sense, thanks.

That could be true, but only partially. When a battery starts to go, it will accept less of a charge ; in fact, it charges up to 'full' but 'full' isn't what it used to be, because the decaying battery has less and less capacity. When the 'Battery charging' state shows up more often and stays up longer, it usually means that no matter the charge you put into the battery, it won't stay 'healthy' enough for ESS to work for any lenght of time. So even if you drive 100 highway miles to get a 'full charge' the battery won't have the capacity to allow ESS to work for very long, when you're back to short drives.

So to answer your question : if ESS comes back online after a long drive, that's Ok, but expect it to be temporary. Using a charger at home would yield the same result.
To give another example : a 'new' battery will get you out of 'battery charging' state in only a few minutes after starting up in the morning, and it's full ESS all the way, no more 'battery charging'.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
You need to drive them about an hour a day to maintain the factory AGM. With the X2 Power, you won't have that issue, as they are deep cycle AGM's, and therefore take, manage, and maintain a charge much more efficiently...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I am not convinced by the dealer as I took the car on about a 90 mile trip the other day, all express way driving and status never changed.

Registered
I am not convinced by the dealer as I took the car on about a 90 mile trip the other day, all express way driving and status never changed.
Keep in mind that their GR8 battery charger/tester is not perfect. We've had many members here report a 'good battery' from that machine (which is used by virtually all FCA dealerships), while ESS rarely worked, ir didn't work at all, only to go back a few months later and get a 'failed' battery test. The Cherokee is really sensitive to battery health, as far as ESS is concerned, and I'm convinced the GR8 machine doesn't have the correct parameters to reflect this. But amyway... let's see what Batteries+ test results are, and go from there.

Reactions: tasdisr
1 - 20 of 68 Posts