2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Trailhawk has 54,000 Miles and has been in the shop for numerous transmission problems including the PTU AGAIN! Right now as we speak for the fifth time in 4 years! Right now it's there for the PTU, rear differential, and a few other things that they found along the way including the auto stop-start problem that everyone seems to have. The repairs are over $8000 and thankfully covered!

I'm seriously contemplating trading it in and leasing a Hyundai Tucson. My girlfriend just bought one and it's not bad at all. I have a choice, either trade it in and pick up the Hyundai or buy ANOTHER extended warranty because there's no way I'm gonna continue on with that car without an extended warranty from Jeep.

TRADE or KEEP (with a warranty). Please let me know what you guys think I'm interested to hear. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ditto. If you don't go off road, don't buy a Jeep. Go! Hyundai.
I'd be more inclined to go rav4 or forester.. than hyundai although the hybrid does get decent mileage.

Or you could buy a forester wilderness and still offroad.. at least as much as an AD-I anyway.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If your nearing end of warranty I would sell it with that many issues. But I would not get a Hyundai/kia. They are known for engine issues last I read over 1 million have a current recall for some engine issue. They also are not long lived on their awd systems either.

For the Jeep do all your tires match and have the same tread depth all around? Mismatched tires can and will cause 4x4 issues wear and failure with any brand of vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your nearing end of warranty I would sell it with that many issues. But I would not get a Hyundai/kia. They are known for engine issues last I read over 1 million have a current recall for some engine issue. They also are not long lived on their awd systems either.

For the Jeep do all your tires match and have the same tread depth all around? Mismatched tires can and will cause 4x4 issues wear and failure with any brand of vehicle.
I'd lease it for 3 years and than finance something different after that. They're one of the ONLY brands giving good money for trade-ins here in NY.

I looked at another Jeep and 1 offered me $18 and another offered me $12. Hyundai offered me $24.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Still OEM. They actually look new. No off-roading.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You could always sell the Jeep private party to get maximum value. Not as much hassle as people think. I have sold many cars in the past in just a few days of listing the ad. Just get creative to weed out the tire kickers and time wasters.

As for a pretty capable replacement similar to a KL what about a Bronco Sport? Not the full size new bronco but the little brother. A coworker has one and he loves it. Plenty of power with the 2.0 Ecoboost and the drivetrain is proven since its a design used on the escape for years. I've ridden in it a few times and very impressive seems solid and well out together. There is also the Honda passport which has some off-road ability as well. Lots of similar options out there. One more issue with Hyundai/kia is their dual clutch transmissions. They overheat easily and do not handle any heavy hauling or off road well at all. Just my .02

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sell it dude. I’ve been lucky to have next to zero issues with my KL but I’ve always been left wondering how much longer I’ll be lucky….

I just bought a 18 Grand Cherokee and while they have their own set of issues (it’s a Jeep after all) the drivetrain is much beefier and reliable.

Reactions: jodeci888

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sell it dude. I’ve been lucky to have next to zero issues with my KL but I’ve always been left wondering how much longer I’ll be lucky….

I just bought a 18 Grand Cherokee and while they have their own set of issues (it’s a Jeep after all) the drivetrain is much beefier and reliable.
I feel you. THANK GOD I have the extended warranty from Jeep.

Dealerships out here in NY are charging 17.5% on top of MSRP. I may be forced to buy another warranty......

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel you. THANK GOD I have the extended warranty from Jeep.

Dealerships out here in NY are charging 17.5% on top of MSRP. I may be forced to buy another warranty......
Would be a good move.

I had National Auto Care on my 05 WK. They paid out 3-4 times the price of the warranty and never really gave me any issues.
was pretty affordable from what I can remember

1 - 13 of 13 Posts