2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my TH a few days ago and I just hit 200 miles.

My transmission feels so smooth that I can never tell when it is changing gears unless I am really pressing the gas.

My build date is 3/2/14

Anyone else think this? or am I just in new car bliss?

Reactions: newbeejeeper

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Mine was great for about 800 miles then got jerky and a little clunky. Did the TSBs and still fine at 1650 miles. I think you'll find that there are other owners who had smooth transmissions at first and then had problems after a few hundred or even after 3200 miles. But hopefully yours will not have any problems.

Reactions: Ol'Greg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah very smooth at first, did the TSB, still good, but then "learned" to shift a bit rough on 1-2-3. but not unreasonable. Going to take the wait and see approach for a while.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would assume all TSB's have been put on mine since it was only built a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would assume all TSB's have been put on mine since it was only built a few weeks ago.

I would hope so since the trans TSBs are for builds on or before 12/16/13.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our THs were probably built close to the same day. Mine shows a build date of Feb 14 and it arrived here in Oklahoma City Mar 18. Also just turned 200 miles this evening and the transmission is performing like a champ and I go back to Chrysler Fluid Drive. Of course it could all go south over time, but so far the transmission (and the Trailhawk in general) has exceeded all my expectations.........uh, with the exception of those Halogen headlights, but I think there is general agreement that Jeep short-changed the TH with that nonsense. Besides that one gripe, this vehicle really is in a class of it's own in terms of quality, comfort and capability.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I've been waiting for a nice day to go back to the dealer and drive a recent arrival, so I can compare it to mine. I really think mines shifting quite well these days but would be curious to see how a hot off the press Cherokee shifts. For me now the only thing is that 1st to 2nd shift at 4-5 mph and it's not really rough it's just so soon it's noticeable. If I go into Snow mode, which starts out in 2nd, the shifting is very smooth from a start.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
At 1600 miles shifting is smooth.
Once the trans is warmed up you can not even feel the shifts.
Build date was 12/11 and no update. I did schedule the update when a warranty power seat part comes in. I do not need a latent problem because of the old software.

As a side note: as the post 12/16 Cherokees hit the streets and the pre 12/16 builds get updated I have noticed a big drop in chatter on transmission problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mines at 1200 or so and it is fine as well. Haven't checked the build date but can guarantee my dealer did not flash anything as they barely did a pdi on it. purchased 2/24

·
Registered
169 Posts

My transmission feels so smooth that I can never tell when it is changing gears unless I am really pressing the gas.

My build date is 3/2/14

Knock on wood!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine is smooth as silk, 5500 km and counting.

I do have the annoying steering wheel noise at low speeds though. Some have said that's 'normal' but it seems to be getting worse so am going to have that checked out at the next service date.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I haven't really had any rough shifting so far. If anything, mine seems like it hangs a bit before shifting. Sometimes I feel the shift, and sometimes I don't - so I've started watching the RPMs to tell. But all my driving the past month has been short hops so I haven't even put 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
144 Posts

My build date is 3/2/14

Only has 121 miles, but thus far smooth & no hiccups, build date is 3/14.
:wink:

·
Registered
34 Posts
1200 miles and like you cant tell when it shifts unless I watch the rpm which is real fun. I love driving 75 and looking at my rpms and noticing its only at 1500 rpms Awesome

·
Registered
264 Posts
mine has been jerky and clunky since day 1 and even after doing the TSB updates at around 1000 miles nothing has changed after putting an additional 1500 miles on the car since the TSB update. In fact its worse than before because now the car shutters/vibrates sometimes when in first gear and the car likes to get stuck in 3rd gear when doing canyon driving. District technical engineer said that based off of computer results the transmission is working within specification parameters and therefore nothing can be done. I'm currently fighting with corporate to replace the transmission or replace the car entirely because there is in no way that these issues are normal, not after driving others cars just like it which were incredibly smooth.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Our TH is still shifting smooth as a baby's butt .... about 3000 miles ....
Early build, TSBs done .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ours shifts rough in lower gears when cold. What's TSB.

·
Registered
424 Posts
mine has been jerky and clunky since day 1 and even after doing the TSB updates at around 1000 miles nothing has changed after putting an additional 1500 miles on the car since the TSB update. In fact its worse than before because now the car shutters/vibrates sometimes when in first gear and the car likes to get stuck in 3rd gear when doing canyon driving. District technical engineer said that based off of computer results the transmission is working within specification parameters and therefore nothing can be done. I'm currently fighting with corporate to replace the transmission or replace the car entirely because there is in no way that these issues are normal, not after driving others cars just like it which were incredibly smooth.
Assuming the TSB update and the Adaptive Learn Procedure was performed (with 2 techs putting on 30-50 miles -- did you check the odometer?) properly and your vehicle is behaving "badly" you obviously have a problem and should pursue it even more aggressively. Check out the entire thread of Hamburgerfries (you will need to do a search).

And don't be afraid to begin a new thread here and keep everyone updated. Chrysler won't like this suggestion but it may also pique their attention as well.

Bob

·
Registered
264 Posts
Assuming the TSB update and the Adaptive Learn Procedure was performed (with 2 techs putting on 30-50 miles -- did you check the odometer?) properly and your vehicle is behaving "badly" you obviously have a problem and should pursue it even more aggressively. Check out the entire thread of Hamburgerfries (you will need to do a search).

And don't be afraid to begin a new thread here and keep everyone updated. Chrysler won't like this suggestion but it may also pique their attention as well.

Bob

Yep 2 techs worked on this procedure and put 70 miles on the car just to be sure, and believe me I am pursuing it aggressively and following up with them on an almost daily basis. I'm getting worried about it because corporate suggested to me that if I want to pursue this any further, to get a lawyer... ridiculous that they can't stand behind their product.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts