2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I want to overhaul my alpine system too, but the amp is the problem to me. I don't know what it is doing internally. Specifically what is going on with the built-in cabin microphones and "noise cancelling". I looked into installing a JL Twk and/orFiX to level out the signal going into the amp (to then get more control over EQ and better results with aftermarket speakers) but like I said I don't know what the amp is doing.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I get it, people like boom. Boom is fine.
But that's all this system has. A sub, painful highs, and zeeero mid bass.
What's mid bass? -Mopar, probably.

If you like metal or rock, you spend your whole life dying listening to systems designed to sound "good enough" for most modern music, but this system is strangely bad in this regard. It blasts you with a ton of harsh treble and sloppy boomy bass, but no "crunch". It just doesn't have that power in the middle.

The frustrating part is that this stupid thing has 9 damned speakers and that means crossovers between speakers and such. Crutchfield really wants me to use a 6.5" speaker with separate tweeters in the front door, but that's just stupid. Plus, why would I lower my bass output by using a 3" smaller speaker?

What I'm trying to see is if anyone ever posted anything about crossover points or any info about the actual fitment of 6x9 speakers in the front doors, as I can't get a good bead on this. There's the one guide from 2014 or so, but with dash speakers, throwing a 3 way in the door seems odd.
Have you used the equalizer And surround sound? The equalizer does wonders compared to how the factory presets it. I have been very happy with the system, I listen to a little of everything but mostly my "local" country station. (It's out of Vancouver B.C.)

·
Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
190 Posts
The speakers included in the Alpine system are garbage. The amp is fine you just need to replace with quality speakers.

I did the upgrade listed in the thread. Was able to compare between my 2014 with the stock speakers (alpine) vs my 2016 with the JBL speakers and it sounded like an entirely different system.

Start with just replacing the dash speakers, that alone is a big difference. Rather than tell you to search i'll provide you with the info you need

Biggest thing to remember. The stock speakers are 2ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, meaning you will have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound as with 2ohm speakers.

So make sure you buy 2ohm speakers.
Just so y’all know…on the 2019 rear pillar with the 9 speaker system, the face plate on the rear pillar does NOT come off. You have to remove the plastic molding around the upper portion of the rear. Once you do that, you will see that the rear pillar speaker face is permanently attached to said plastic molding. The center dash and corner dash went exactly as forecast per your post….awesome stuff. Having replaced those, the doors are next and, and that point, I’ll make a determination as to wether or not I need to replace the sub (Rockford Fosgate, 8” 300 watt). Based upon what I’m hearing now, without the doors even being done, it won’t be needed and will be returned. We will see…😎

·
Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
190 Posts
So glad it's not just me that thinks the 9-speaker system is terrible. No amount of equalizer fiddling can compensate for these speakers.
Oh it’s not THAT bad! Needs new speakers? Of course it does. However, the head unit and amp are pretty good. That sure makes it easy to “upgrade”… new speakers and done! 😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,547 Posts
Oh it’s not THAT bad! Needs new speakers? Of course it does. However, the head unit and amp are pretty good. That sure makes it easy to “upgrade”… new speakers and done! 😎
Totally agree, once I put in the Alpine Rs, it was a totally awesome system, Jeep could do well to beef up the specs of their speakers across the board, instead of nickel and diming everyone for speakers that should have been the minimum spec to begin with. :cool:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
86 Posts
Looking at upgrading my speakers for the 9 speaker alpine setup. Looks like the kickers are out as some are not available. I liked the infinity reference in my GC. So what woiuld you all recommend for the door, the dash and the rear pillar in a 2019 trailhawk elite. I have gone through a lot of threads and see JBLs some alpines etc sometimes for the 6 speaker some for the 9. Also see stuff about too many tweeters etc.

I imagine upgrade the doors first? Want a good speaker at a good price.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,388 Posts
I imagine upgrade the doors first?
If you aren't going to do all of them at the same time, I would start with the dash, which should be the same as the rear pillars, then some good 6x9's in the doors. Now you just need to decide which ones...😎

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
86 Posts
If you aren't going to do all of them at the same time, I would start with the dash, which should be the same as the rear pillars, then some good 6x9's in the doors. Now you just need to decide which ones...😎
i know and that's what I need help with LOL. Might go JBL or Alpine

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
What I really like about the Alpine R Series 6x9s (aside from the incredible sound) is that they are a shallow mount speaker, so no issues whatsoever installing in the front and rear doors of the Jeep.
The only thing I needed was the wiring adapters from Crutchfield...

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
86 Posts
What I really like about the Alpine R Series 6x9s (aside from the incredible sound) is that they are a shallow mount speaker, so no issues whatsoever installing in the front and rear doors of the Jeep.
The only thing I needed was the wiring adapters from Crutchfield...
Thanks @AtlCade69 and you installed 4 in the doors? what about the dash and rear pillar. Are these close to 2 ohm's?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Thanks @AtlCade69 and you installed 4 in the doors? what about the dash and rear pillar. Are these close to 2 ohm's?
All the R series are 4 Ω, In the dash and rear pillar, are R series tweeters

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
86 Posts
All the R series are 4 Ω, In the dash and rear pillar, are R series tweeters
Thanks @AtlCade69 and 4 ohm (where did you find that symbol) is no problem for the 9? Did you do anything with the tweeters in the 6x9? A website has the 6x9 for $164 a pair. I might do tweeters first as mayb @Flybynightcru recommended

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite
86 Posts
so got the Cherokee trailhawk on Friday. the premium sound and speakers seem good although maybe kinda flat/dull. Have the Infinity's in the garage and will start installing them and see how it sounds. Have not really cranked it out yet as had family in car all weekend. Surround sound setting did not seem to do much. I was thinking of returning them as i need to get a mopar hitch for the mountain bike. But he!! i already have them at a good price so in they go

41 - 60 of 67 Posts