2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
just wondering if you have an equalizer option in your menu.. and would that help with the sound issues?
I actually have a custom EQ curve set up in Spotify specifically for the Jeep. Rolls off really low bass, and brings ~100-400hz way up, then rolls off miss, then a little uptick on the very top. The "EQ" in my unit is just Bass, Mids, Treble, and the bass appears centered on like 40 hz or something stupid, and the mids are waaaay up there with the treble as well. Try to leave them flat.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Thanks for the replies Y'all. I've seen around and a few folks here mention tweeters in the dash. Does anyone really know what the actual crossover points for door / dash actually are? I did actually replace the dash speakers a couple years ago with JBL 3020's They're fine-ish, the highs are much less harsh now than stock. I saw mentions that the dash speakers are 8 ohm and the rest 2, so adding a resistor can help equalize. I still have the center dash speaker as stock I can just pull it and look. (the surround thing is annoying to me so I didn't bother with the center speaker.)

I suppose I can just run a frequency app in to the aux port and find the crossover points manually.

Thanks so much for all the replies!
You are not crazy, from an avid Ozzy's Boneyard listener...馃馃槑

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
Thanks for the replies Y'all. I've seen around and a few folks here mention tweeters in the dash. Does anyone really know what the actual crossover points for door / dash actually are? I did actually replace the dash speakers a couple years ago with JBL 3020's They're fine-ish, the highs are much less harsh now than stock. I saw mentions that the dash speakers are 8 ohm and the rest 2, so adding a resistor can help equalize. I still have the center dash speaker as stock I can just pull it and look. (the surround thing is annoying to me so I didn't bother with the center speaker.)

I suppose I can just run a frequency app in to the aux port and find the crossover points manually.

Thanks so much for all the replies!
The 9 Speaker system has separate leads from the factory Amp to each individual speaker, there isn't an interconnect/crossover between the door/dash speakers.
What the amp may do to each channel is another thing...
The 6 Speaker system is where the Front door and Front dash speakers a run in parallel (connected together near the head unit) with a minimal resistor hard wired on the dash speaker. :cool:

Reactions: EricoftheNorth

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The 9 Speaker system has separate leads from the factory Amp to each individual speaker, there isn't an interconnect/crossover between the door/dash speakers.
What the amp may do to each channel is another thing...
The 6 Speaker system is where the Front door and Front dash speakers a run in parallel (connected together near the head unit) with a minimal resistor hard wired on the dash speaker. :cool:
Yeah, that's kind of what I mean. The question being if a component setup would be wildly out of sync with the signal being delivered.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The speakers included in the Alpine system are garbage. The amp is fine you just need to replace with quality speakers.

I did the upgrade listed in the thread. Was able to compare between my 2014 with the stock speakers (alpine) vs my 2016 with the JBL speakers and it sounded like an entirely different system.

Start with just replacing the dash speakers, that alone is a big difference. Rather than tell you to search i'll provide you with the info you need

Biggest thing to remember. The stock speakers are 2ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, meaning you will have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound as with 2ohm speakers.

So make sure you buy 2ohm speakers.
Apologies, I had to make quick replies earlier before I could dig into your thread. It is exactly what I was looking for. Excellent work sir.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The speakers included in the Alpine system are garbage. The amp is fine you just need to replace with quality speakers.

I did the upgrade listed in the thread. Was able to compare between my 2014 with the stock speakers (alpine) vs my 2016 with the JBL speakers and it sounded like an entirely different system.

Start with just replacing the dash speakers, that alone is a big difference. Rather than tell you to search i'll provide you with the info you need

Biggest thing to remember. The stock speakers are 2ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, meaning you will have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound as with 2ohm speakers.

So make sure you buy 2ohm speakers.
Woah, on the thread about Dash speakers, there is the one iBypass removed, unlabeled with fairly large magnets and 2.5 ohms. But on the same thread in the replies a guy pulls his and they are super cheesy Mexico ones at 8 Ohms....now I gotta know.

Registered
Woah, on the thread about Dash speakers, there is the one iBypass removed, unlabeled with fairly large magnets and 2.5 ohms. But on the same thread in the replies a guy pulls his and they are super cheesy Mexico ones at 8 Ohms....now I gotta know.
The 8 ohm speakers are on the 6 speaker setup, not the Alpine...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The 8 ohm speakers are on the 6 speaker setup, not the Alpine...
Yeah. The kicker upgrade you could buy for the 6 speaker made it look like there was just tweeters, but that makes sense. I just pulled my dash, it matches the other one. It's a bummer, the magnets on that thing are plenty beefy, and it has the damper behind the cone and everything. Shame they didn't just spec out some real tweeters, might have been fine.

Registered
I swapped all my speakers with the Mopar Kicker upgrade. I had to piece meal it all cause the don't offer the Kick42 anymore. I also swapped the sub with this one, but the mounting holes don't line up so I might choose something different next time. The system sounds amazing now.

Registered
鈥淓lvira鈥 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
Yeah. The kicker upgrade you could buy for the 6 speaker made it look like there was just tweeters, but that makes sense. I just pulled my dash, it matches the other one. It's a bummer, the magnets on that thing are plenty beefy, and it has the damper behind the cone and everything. Shame they didn't just spec out some real tweeters, might have been fine.
I purchased the 77KICK41 and 77KICK42 Kicker speaker kits, so I did have an extra dash speaker left. I have the 6 speaker system, and it is a crazy improvement in sound quality. Technically those kits are for the Alpine system from what I read, but it鈥檚 all plug and play where they have a Chrysler style connector on them. The speaker materials are much better and much much larger magnets too. While Mopar has 鈥渄iscontinued鈥 these kits, you should still be able to find them on Amazon or E Bay, if you were to go down that avenue.

Registered
I totally agree that the Kicker Alpine 9 speaker upgrade kits are a great way to go, esp. on the 6 speaker system (77KICK41 and 77KICK42), or for the Alpine (2 x 77KICK42).
Funny either way, you will always have an orphan 3.5 speaker. Too bad they don't have a kicker amp upgrade or addon path for the Cherokee like they do on some other models. :cool:

The biggest downside in just about all factory systems (aside from the low spec speakers they like to use) is that lack of channel by channel and/or speaker by speaker settings.
The other gotchas are the bass roll-off and the damned channel shut off of channels if the factory system doesn't like the loads it sees on them.

Full disclosure - My Cherokee came with the 6 speaker system (my 1st car without a premium sound system in decades), but I sourced the factory Sub and it's cargo trim and I went with the Alpine Type R Series R-S69.2 for the doors, and are Alpine Type R Series SPR-10TW Tweeters for the dash and D-Pillars, these come with tunable crossovers, and the Kicker 47KEY500-1 to power the factory sub. I didn't need to amplify the doors and tweeters, and I avoided the (uconnect voice notifications too loud) issues . My end result is (IMO) the best sounding system I have ever had in a vehicle! :D
I have detailed my saga here after trying and not being able to upgrade to the factory amp :cool:
Here is my prioritised step list and you can stop after any step if you are happy with the results. Others may have things rearranged, it is personal preference. ;)
For speaker comparisons, I like Crutchfield's 'SpeakerCompare' system, but, I ignore their speaker recommendations, and don't select a vehicle, as they err on the what fits, just use our forum to see what actually fits. (y)

Step I: Get the best speakers you can in your budget (4 or 2 ohms , stay away from any 8 ohm crap, even if you already had 8s).
I would go for great 4 ohm speakers over just ok 2 ohm ones at any price point.​
... A. If you have more than a basic 4 channel setup (like the Alpine system in the Cherokee)
...... i. Decide on whether or not you want to go the full range route or the component route on the secondary (dash and rear pillar) speakers
............You can either upgrade to better full range or replace them with tweeters & a good crossover.
... B. If you have the basic setup, do the same as in I.A.i. but keep in mind that you will probably need to use crossovers on the secondaries to either:
...... i. kill the lows on full range replacements.
...... ii. kill the lows & mids on tweeters.
Step II: Subs
... A. If you already have factory subs
...... i. if you feel that the subs are adequately powered, upgrade the sub(s) first, otherwise proceed to step ii.
.........1. The Cherokee has a dual voice coil subwoofer.
......ii. Redo the dsp & amp on the sub(s), if you skipped step i., revisit if not satisfied.
... B. If you don't have factory sub(s).
......... i. Add a good dsp & amp & sub.
Step III: Redo the dsp & amp on the entire system to your liking.

Reactions: j3r3myCs

Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I totally agree that the Kicker Alpine 9 speaker upgrade kits are a great way to go, esp. on the 6 speaker system (77KICK41 and 77KICK42), or for the Alpine (2 x 77KICK42).
Funny either way, you will always have an orphan 3.5 speaker. Too bad they don't have a kicker amp upgrade or addon path for the Cherokee like they do on some other models. :cool:

The biggest downside in just about all factory systems (aside from the low spec speakers they like to use) is that lack of channel by channel and/or speaker by speaker settings.
The other gotchas are the bass roll-off and the damned channel shut off of channels if the factory system doesn't like the loads it sees on them.

Full disclosure - My Cherokee came with the 6 speaker system (my 1st car without a premium sound system in decades), but I sourced the factory Sub and it's cargo trim and I went with the Alpine Type R Series R-S69.2 for the doors, and are Alpine Type R Series SPR-10TW Tweeters for the dash and D-Pillars, these come with tunable crossovers, and the Kicker 47KEY500-1 to power the factory sub. I didn't need to amplify the doors and tweeters, and I avoided the (uconnect voice notifications too loud) issues . My end result is (IMO) the best sounding system I have ever had in a vehicle! :D
I have detailed my saga here after trying and not being able to upgrade to the factory amp :cool:

Here is my prioritised step list and you can stop after any step if you are happy with the results. Others may have things rearranged, it is personal preference. ;)
For speaker comparisons, I like Crutchfield's 'SpeakerCompare' system, but, I ignore their speaker recommendations, and don't select a vehicle, as they err on the what fits, just use our forum to see what actually fits. (y)

Step I: Get the best speakers you can in your budget (4 or 2 ohms , stay away from any 8 ohm crap, even if you already had 8s).
I would go for great 4 ohm speakers over just ok 2 ohm ones at any price point.​
... A. If you have more than a basic 4 channel setup (like the Alpine system in the Cherokee)
...... i. Decide on whether or not you want to go the full range route or the component route on the secondary (dash and rear pillar) speakers
............You can either upgrade to better full range or replace them with tweeters & a good crossover.
... B. If you have the basic setup, do the same as in I.A.i. but keep in mind that you will probably need to use crossovers on the secondaries to either:
...... i. kill the lows on full range replacements.
...... ii. kill the lows & mids on tweeters.
Step II: Subs
... A. If you already have factory subs
...... i. if you feel that the subs are adequately powered, upgrade the sub(s) first, otherwise proceed to step ii.
.........1. The Cherokee has a dual voice coil subwoofer.
......ii. Redo the dsp & amp on the sub(s), if you skipped step i., revisit if not satisfied.
... B. If you don't have factory sub(s).
......... i. Add a good dsp & amp & sub.
Step III: Redo the dsp & amp on the entire system to your liking.
I ended up going with Infinit all round, except to sub which stays as is. Problem that I ran into was I had to go with JBL in the dash corners because the Infinity wouldn鈥檛 fit鈥r so they say. Kickers are nice, but always preferred the Infinity sound. The Kickers are a bit bass heavy for me. Now鈥hat to do with the orphan Infinity speaker鈥 for the life of me, I just can鈥榯 understand why they don鈥檛 sell individual speakers. 馃槑

Registered
I ended up going with Infinit all round, except to sub which stays as is. Problem that I ran into was I had to go with JBL in the dash corners because the Infinity wouldn鈥檛 fit鈥r so they say. Kickers are nice, but always preferred the Infinity sound. The Kickers are a bit bass heavy for me. Now鈥hat to do with the orphan Infinity speaker鈥 for the life of me, I just can鈥榯 understand why they don鈥檛 sell individual speakers. 馃槑
I've always liked the Infinity Kappa and Reference series, had the same issues going to the corners, and wanted to keep one spec all around, why I went to the R-Series. :cool:

Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I've always liked the Infinity Kappa and Reference series, had the same issues going to the corners, and wanted to keep one spec all around, why I went to the R-Series. :cool:
Love the Reference series, never willing to afford the Kappa but I heard it鈥檚 great. So many speakers sound so different to people. Inside a car is such a great place to listen to music. Figuring it鈥檚 got to do with the perfect combination of soft/hard surfaces and position of the driver. The Trailhawk seems overall really decent sound wise for a stock vehicle. Far from perfect but really鈥鈥檝e heard worse. It鈥檚 got an amp hiding in there somewhere, right? Either way, the Infinity should really shine. 馃槑

Registered
It鈥檚 got an amp hiding in there somewhere, right? Either way, the Infinity should really shine. 馃槑
The Alpine system has an amp tucked above the glove box.

Registered
Reactions: praq1966
21 - 40 of 67 Posts