2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get it, people like boom. Boom is fine.
But that's all this system has. A sub, painful highs, and zeeero mid bass.
What's mid bass? -Mopar, probably.

If you like metal or rock, you spend your whole life dying listening to systems designed to sound "good enough" for most modern music, but this system is strangely bad in this regard. It blasts you with a ton of harsh treble and sloppy boomy bass, but no "crunch". It just doesn't have that power in the middle.

The frustrating part is that this stupid thing has 9 damned speakers and that means crossovers between speakers and such. Crutchfield really wants me to use a 6.5" speaker with separate tweeters in the front door, but that's just stupid. Plus, why would I lower my bass output by using a 3" smaller speaker?

What I'm trying to see is if anyone ever posted anything about crossover points or any info about the actual fitment of 6x9 speakers in the front doors, as I can't get a good bead on this. There's the one guide from 2014 or so, but with dash speakers, throwing a 3 way in the door seems odd.

· Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,550 Posts
Tons of info. Search the forum. I have Alpine RS 6x9 s in all 4 doors. Alpine tweeters in the dash and rears...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Banned
4,609 Posts
The speakers included in the Alpine system are garbage. The amp is fine you just need to replace with quality speakers.

I did the upgrade listed in the thread. Was able to compare between my 2014 with the stock speakers (alpine) vs my 2016 with the JBL speakers and it sounded like an entirely different system.

Start with just replacing the dash speakers, that alone is a big difference. Rather than tell you to search i'll provide you with the info you need

Biggest thing to remember. The stock speakers are 2ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, meaning you will have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound as with 2ohm speakers.

So make sure you buy 2ohm speakers.

· Premium Member
858 Posts
Like @Tyler-98-W68 said, dash speakers alone really clean things up nicely. I replaced those with Kickers, am replacing the rear pillar speakers next week. I have 6X9 Rockfords in the doors. Night and day difference to me.

· Registered
2020 Cherokee High Altitude
269 Posts
I have noticed that the 9 speaker system in our Cherokee doesn't have the clarity or the mids that our 6 speaker system in our Compass puts out, kinda disappointing. It's like they thought "We don't need much mids when we have a subwoofer" and pulled the punches (literally) from the door speakers.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
crutchfield's suggestions for the door speakers are hot garbage.

I'd suggest to start by replacing all 4 door speakers with a halfway decent speaker.. the cardboard 5$ wonders in there now are terrrible.

I am much happier with the 54$ pioneer TS-A6967S
Than I expected.
if you do upgrade make sure to get the proper connector/adapters so its plug and play.

· Premium Member
858 Posts
crutchfield's suggestions for the door speakers are hot garbage.

I'd suggest to start by replacing all 4 door speakers with a halfway decent speaker.. the cardboard 5$ wonders in there now are terrrible.
Quite sure my factory nine speaker cones were polypropylene. My 2015 six speaker system were paper/cardboard junk.

· Registered
633 Posts
The factory speakers are garbage. The amp is decent but is gutless atleast on my 2014 9 speaker its easy to crank it up past 30 and it only goes to 38. As others said the factory speakers are 2 ohm. 2 ohm speakers are hard to find at a reasonable cost but JBL and a few others make 3 ohm speakers. I ended upgrading all mine to some JBL 3 ohm units. Dash and rear pillars and rear doors make the most difference. The front doors are just midbass so upgrading those was meh and did not change the sound much.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Quite sure my factory nine speaker cones were polypropylene. My 2015 six speaker system were paper/cardboard junk.
Thats a good point slightly better hot garbage. IIRC this was branded an alpine premium system..
I missed the 9 speaker part somehow..

Pyle or Pyramid(garbage brand) speakers would still be an upgrade

The only thing alpine about it is the label. their cheapest aftermarket gear is 10x better.

· Registered
27 Posts
Here is what you need to replace the 9 speakers (not sub) in your system:

77Kick28AB
2 6x9's for the front door's. 2 HF tweeters for L/R dash

77Kick42
2 6x9's for both rear doors. 3 mid/HF tweeters for center dash and rear pillars.

These are quality kicker speakers made to fit and wire into your Cherokee. After installing them in my 2017, the difference was quite noticeable. The surround setting really came out providing a more immersive experience.

· Registered
2019 Firecracker Red Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
190 Posts

77Kick28AB

77Kick42
2 6x9's for both rear doors. 3 mid/HF tweeters for center dash and rear pillars.

These are quality kicker speakers made to fit and wire into your Cherokee. After installing them in my 2017, the difference was quite noticeable. The surround setting really came out providing a more immersive experience.
I have the 9 speaker “Alpine” system as well and would be very interested in replacing the speakers, including the sub. Yet, honestly, I have know idea where the 9 speakers are 🤦‍♂️ 5 is obvious, so I’ll be Googling the location of the rest. But how difficult where the dark speakers to replace? 😎

· Registered
190 Posts
The speakers included in the Alpine system are garbage. The amp is fine you just need to replace with quality speakers.

I did the upgrade listed in the thread. Was able to compare between my 2014 with the stock speakers (alpine) vs my 2016 with the JBL speakers and it sounded like an entirely different system.

Start with just replacing the dash speakers, that alone is a big difference. Rather than tell you to search i'll provide you with the info you need

Biggest thing to remember. The stock speakers are 2ohm. Most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, meaning you will have to turn up the volume more to get the same sound as with 2ohm speakers.

So make sure you buy 2ohm speakers.
Oh yeah…read the thread entirely before asking stupid questions. Just saw this…thank you! 😎

· Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,550 Posts
I have the 9 speaker “Alpine” system as well and would be very interested in replacing the speakers, including the sub. Yet, honestly, I have know idea where the 9 speakers are 🤦‍♂️ 5 is obvious, so I’ll be Googling the location of the rest. But how difficult where the dark speakers to replace? 😎
3 in the dash, 1 in each door, 1 in each c-pillar + the subwoofer = 9 + 1
All speakers are easy to replace. I think the c-pillars (esp. in the '19+) and sub are the most difficult. :cool:

Reactions: praq1966

· Registered
190 Posts
All speakers are easy to replace. I think the c-pillars (esp. in the '19+) and sub are the most difficult. :cool:
¡Gracias!

· Premium Member
858 Posts

77Kick28AB

77Kick42

I believe Mopar discontinued these kits, unfortunately...

· Registered
190 Posts
Well, just ordered 8 speakers, leaving the sub till later. Thanks for info and Tyler-98-w68 for the info on how to install. Strangely, I’ve been sitting and think about this for a while and this post just provide the correct impetus to get off my a** and do something. The stock speakers really do suck. Do like the amp and head unit however. 😎

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

77Kick28AB

77Kick42

Thanks for the replies Y'all. I've seen around and a few folks here mention tweeters in the dash. Does anyone really know what the actual crossover points for door / dash actually are? I did actually replace the dash speakers a couple years ago with JBL 3020's They're fine-ish, the highs are much less harsh now than stock. I saw mentions that the dash speakers are 8 ohm and the rest 2, so adding a resistor can help equalize. I still have the center dash speaker as stock I can just pull it and look. (the surround thing is annoying to me so I didn't bother with the center speaker.)

I suppose I can just run a frequency app in to the aux port and find the crossover points manually.

Thanks so much for all the replies!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's like they thought "We don't need much mids when we have a subwoofer" and pulled the punches (literally) from the door speakers.
That is exactly my view of it. When I found out there are FOUR 6x9's and yet super uneven boomy response from 50-200hz I said HMMMMM.

My 04'Toyota Matrix with little plastic 6' cones has much more even bass response. I am slowly putting it together that there's no replacement for displacement when it comes to rock music. 90% of the 'punch' in rock sits squarely on the frequency roll-off of door speakers and subs. A drop-D string is 73HZ, so big ol' door speakers with a low roll-off are key, but all you ever see are 100-120hz sub roll offs, and the 70-200 range doesn't travel from the back of the car like the lower freqs do. But all anyone is listening to is Trap EDM and Country so it just isn't as key.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts