2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
To run alpha on mine i just had a OBDlink MX. They replaced it with a new one but acts the same. and a cheapy android tablet. Some vehicles get picky and do want the extra dongles but i had good luck with not needing them. People on youtube have posted some good videos on using the program. Anything for like ram or other jeeps will be similar enough to figure out what you need to do. Depending on year they added a security gateway module on vehicles and if you have one of those you would need a bypass/adapter otherwise you wont be able to talk to the vehicle. I have used a couple different ones of those and they all did basically the same thing.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have the 19, so I'll be getting that security bypass. I saw someone on an old thread didn't like the windows version of alfa, but that was 4 years ago. I was just gonna use my android phone or my chromebook with the Bluetooth obd reader that they suggest.
Font Rectangle Brand Logo Screenshot

· Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,387 Posts
I have the 19, so I'll be getting that security bypass. I saw someone on an old thread didn't like the windows version of alfa, but that was 4 years ago. I was just gonna use my android phone or my chromebook with the Bluetooth obd reader that they suggest.
View attachment 219443
Thats what I use. I got the bypass from infotainment, and then use alfa on my samsung phone with the MX+

Reactions: Nammy 2019kl

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Any success in changing tire pressure thresholds on the Cherokee?
I haven't tried, but what pressure are you trying to lower it to?

· Registered
26 Posts
Thats what I use. I got the bypass from infotainment, and then use alfa on my samsung phone with the MX+
Where is the Security Gateway located on my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk? I have the MX+ and use Alfa on my laptop to mess around with my 2015 Challenger but it does not need this "ByPass".
Also ZAutomotive makes a second OBD port that I added in the trunk of my Challenger so I can run my MX+ and TaZer in the trunk and HP Tuners under my dash. Does anyone know if the second OBD Port scan be added to our vehicles?

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Where is the Security Gateway located on my 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk? I have the MX+ and use Alfa on my laptop to mess around with my 2015 Challenger but it does not need this "ByPass".
Also ZAutomotive makes a second OBD port that I added in the trunk of my Challenger so I can run my MX+ and TaZer in the trunk and HP Tuners under my dash. Does anyone know if the second OBD Port scan be added to our vehicles?

Its located behind the radio. You unplug it and plug in the bypass. They say not to leave it in, but I've never taken mine out. Here is the install video.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks, yeah they say not to leave it in but I am not going through that twice in one day.
If you think about it, removing it just puts it back like the 2014 through 2017. In the cases where it was demonstrated it could be hacked, they still needed physical access to the OBD2 port before they could setup the over the air hack. Telling people to remove it is probably more of a legal thing. If something happens, and you left it in, you can't hold them accountable. If you leave an OBD2 adapter plugged in, just make sure its one with good encryption, or unplug it. I would remove anytime you plan to take it back to the dealer for service though.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
I would really like to find a way to install the double by pass. I have one in my 2015 Challenger and use a splitter and run the MX+ and Tazer in the trunk and HP Tuners under the dash. I'm thinking that bypass night be the way to go.

It can be done, but needs to be custom made. I can't remember which generation of the ram it follows, but I think they said it needs to have either 6 or 8 feet of cable to reach. The plug was just easier for me. Its not hard to take out the radio, but not something I want to do all the time.

Reactions: Dodgeboy 1969

· Registered
26 Posts
It can be done, but needs to be custom made. I can't remember which generation of the ram it follows, but I think they said it needs to have either 6 or 8 feet of cable to reach. The plug was just easier for me. Its not hard to take out the radio, but not something I want to do all the time.
I would like to add an auto dimming mirror and Homelink and turn off the auto Start/Stop so this is going to be a must for me. I could use it on my wife's 2020 Challenger when she is not looking, lol. Is the wiring there to add these things?

· Registered
1,387 Posts
I know you can turn off the start/stop. Not sure about the others, but its a possibility. I just don't know what all modules are required for each of those, and if they are the same or not. The KL is a lot more picking about stuff then other models. For example, the global windows down doesn't work as that module does have power when the key is off.

· Registered
26 Posts
Those are options in the BCM I believe. I'd have to open ALFA and select the 2014> BCM and see if the options are in there. I saw Start/Stop

Don't see auto dimming mirror or Homelink.... Wish you lived close, I'd rent you gateway. LOL looks like Start/Stop is all I need one for.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts