2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now don't get me wrong, so far I love my new Jeep, but I have to say I am blown away with all the electronics this vehicle has. Since I found this site I've been reading old posts and issues over the past few years. I am an older guy, retired always preferred to own simpler less complex vehicles, like 3 Ford Rangers over a 30 year span.It does not get much simpler than a Ford Ranger. Sometimes simpler is better, if you get my gist. While a gas and oil guy, I am not familiar with these new vehicles.

It seems the health of the battery is paramount on these Cherokees. I have read of all kinds of issues that can manifest themselves once the battery even starts to go south. Given all this, is it advisable to use a battery tender on my Jeep if I am going to not be driving it for a week or two at a time, which could happen frequently in the winter? I am curious if all these electronics will play nice with the tender.

I totally hate the ESS. That has to be one of the dumbest things auto manufacturers have come up with since the Edsel, IMHO. I plan on installing a Smart Stop Start soon to rid myself of that.

Thanx and cheers.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, a smart battery charger/maintainer will extend the life of your battery, especially if the Jeep is parked a lot. It also helps when you do mostly short drives. The OEM battery is not the best, average life from what we've seen on this forum is roughly 3-4 years. If you maintain it (charge it) regularly, you could easily add a couple years.

Regarding ESS : I don't share your opinion on it so we'll leave it at that. This subject has been beaten to death here ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Mark_. It made sense to me as well but never any harm in asking.

Agreeing to disagree. That is my style as well. We do not see a lot of that in this day and age. Cheers, mate.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I began using a Battery Tender® Junior last year for the same reason -- I prefer to drive my Jetta TDI for short trips around town, at least when there's no snow -- so the Cherokee stays garaged for several days at a time. Unfortunately, the first Tender failed after several months and had to be replaced under warranty. Parasitic drain just seems excessive in the KL; I plan to measure it one of these days and report my findings. My ham radio gear no longer draws current from the vehicle when ignition is off (I put a relay in series with the direct line from the vehicle battery), but in standby that only accounted for 9 mA. The Tender hasn't caused any problems to electronics that I'm aware of, but it generates some RF noise when connected.

My 32 month old Mopar AGM battery (which was installed by dealer under warranty when the factory battery failed after 16 months) was recently replaced with a NAPA "Premium" AGM ($150, supposedly made by East Penn, but the case looks similar to the Mopar) so we'll see if I can get at least four years out of it this time.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The good news is you have an AGM battery. The bad news even they can fail.
I defer to Mark who is the battery guru.
My plan is to get my AGM battery checked for FREE every 6 months using a tester with the paper print out.
Always go to the same battery store and hopefully they will always use the same battery tester.
Different battery testers give different results, don't have a clue why.
The CCA value is the key to battery health. Compare the reports and when the CCA starts to approach the CCAs specified by the battery manufacture buy a new battery.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
I have learned my lesson several times.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The good news is you have an AGM battery. The bad news even they can fail.
I defer to Mark who is the battery guru.
My plan is to get my AGM battery checked for FREE every 6 months using a tester with the paper print out.
Always go to the same battery store and hopefully they will always use the same battery tester.
Different battery testers give different results, don't have a clue why.
The CCA value is the key to battery health. Compare the reports and when the CCA starts to approach the CCAs specified by the battery manufacture buy a new battery.
Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
I have learned my lesson several times.
I got this guy for $42.49 US a few weeks ago, and I think it was something that I saw Mark_ post about. I really like it, and have great peice of mind now that I'm able to check my battery health whenever I want. It's very small, and stores well in the KL.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the info guys. Well, sounds like a well maintained battery will last 4 years or so and that is really all we can expect up here where temps can go as low as -35F. That is extreme even for us and rare but it does happen when the Canadians get mad at us. LOL. I usually change batteries after 4 years anyhoo to ensure good cranking in these cold temps. I don't plan on using ESS so that will relieve the strain too somewhat I am sure.

Cheers.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I began using a Battery Tender® Junior last year for the same reason -- I prefer to drive my Jetta TDI for short trips around town, at least when there's no snow -- so the Cherokee stays garaged for several days at a time. Unfortunately, the first Tender failed after several months and had to be replaced under warranty. Parasitic drain just seems excessive in the KL; I plan to measure it one of these days and report my findings. My ham radio gear no longer draws current from the vehicle when ignition is off (I put a relay in series with the direct line from the vehicle battery), but in standby that only accounted for 9 mA. The Tender hasn't caused any problems to electronics that I'm aware of, but it generates some RF noise when connected.

My 32 month old Mopar AGM battery (which was installed by dealer under warranty when the factory battery failed after 16 months) was recently replaced with a NAPA "Premium" AGM ($150, supposedly made by East Penn, but the case looks similar to the Mopar) so we'll see if I can get at least four years out of it this time.
I don't mean to be the party pooper, heh, but yeah the Napa Premium 94R AGM is an OEM clone, made by Johnson Controls :
The East Penn reference sounds like a sales pitch to me. The East Penn 94R AGM is no East Penn original, it's all the same JC clones pushed by the consortium :

Using a battery maintainer will extend battery life, for sure.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
I got this guy for $42.49 US a few weeks ago, and I think it was something that I saw Mark_ post about. I really like it, and have great peice of mind now that I'm able to check my battery health whenever I want. It's very small, and stores well in the KL.

I've posted about that tester a few times. Credit goes to @Desoto for pointing it out originally ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
My agm passed 3 year mark. I accidentially drained it once in the frirst. I keep charging it with a smart charger once a month. A reminder on my phone tells me when the time to charge comes. CCA on mine 700. With the ANCEL tester I am getting 850 CCA. Parked indoors. Charging regularly is also good idea if you do short trips. Last year I put it on smart charger for two months when I was away for a trip. When I came back and started the car, everything was normal. Battery was healtier than before. Will replace after 4 years regardless of the test result of ANCEL though.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
How do people define a "short trip"? My wife drives her Cherokee 9 miles to work and 9 miles home again each day. She often gets an "ESS Not Available" (or similar) message, so I know the battery isn't at 100% anymore, but we haven't experienced any odd electrical gremlins yet (knock on wood!). I wouldn't put a Battery Tender on her battery since she won't bother/remember/care to plug it in each night, plus the battery is already 5 years old,

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Go to the EVIC screen for Vehicle Info, Oil Temperature.
When the "needle" is vertical the oil is completely warm and you are past a "short trip".
Buy her a really good AGM battery and put in a nice padded box and put it in the trunk.
When the battery dies and she calls road side assistance they will have a perfectly good battery to install.
Better yet install the new battery sooner than later.
Get the current battery tested for FREE and if the CCAs are down to 700 CCAs it is time to replace the battery.
Maybe Mango Tango Jeeps are just lucky.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Go to the EVIC screen for Vehicle Info, Oil Temperature.
When the "needle" is vertical the oil is completely warm and you are past a "short trip".
Buy her a really good AGM battery and put in a nice padded box and put it in the trunk.
When the battery dies and she calls road side assistance they will have a perfectly good battery to install.
Better yet install the new battery sooner than later.
Get the current battery tested for FREE and if the CCAs are down to 700 CCAs it is time to replace the battery.
Maybe Mango Tango Jeeps are just lucky.
Although it is a good idea to have an AGM battery in the trunk for emergencies, this is only good if you make sure the spare battery is charged once in a while as the batteries may go bad while sitting idle. And I am pretty sure 700 CCA would start up a V6. I would worry more when the CCA goes down around 400 and below.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
That sounds good. I vote for all of the above.
Actually a fully charged AGM battery will hold a charge for quite a while "on the shelf:.
That is one of its benefits over a flooded battery.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, that's interesting. It looks like the same design shown here:

I live about 30 miles south of East Penn's plant in Lyons, PA and stop by the Factory Store at least once each year to recycle small AGMs that were removed from my clients' UPSes. (In exchange, they give me enough credit to take home a few new MK ES7-12s.) On my next visit, I'll bring a copy of this sheet and ask the store manager if the company might want to take legal action.

I don't mean to be the party pooper, heh, but yeah the Napa Premium 94R AGM is an OEM clone, made by Johnson Controls :
The East Penn reference sounds like a sales pitch to me. The East Penn 94R AGM is no East Penn original, it's all the same JC clones pushed by the consortium :

Using a battery maintainer will extend battery life, for sure.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Well, that's interesting. It looks like the same design shown here:

I live about 30 miles south of East Penn's plant in Lyons, PA and stop by the Factory Store at least once each year to recycle small AGMs that were removed from my clients' UPSes. (In exchange, they give me enough credit to take home a few new MK ES7-12s.) On my next visit, I'll bring a copy of this sheet and ask the store manager if the company might want to take legal action.
Legal action ?? I'm not sure I'm following...
This is what I see : the Intimidator AGM I linked to seems to be a US model from East Penn (well, with an East Penn label...). The one you linked to (identical battery for sure) seems to be intended for the overseas market, with their emphasis on the EN designation (in North America we use BCI or DIN designations). And Deka has more appeal oversears as well (I think).
Bottom liine though : both these batteries are not East Penn / Deka originals, they stem from a somewhat secret venture led by JC, for certain battery sizes and types. Same battery, different labels... That's not to say East Penn / Deka doesn't manufacture batteries anymore, it's just a select few like our 94Rs they stick their label on but are built elsewhere... There were traces of this consortium a few years ago when I went digging for answers, but last time I checked (last year) they had done a good job removing any reference to this pact between major battery manufacturers. There are clearly NDAs involved here..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Now don't get me wrong, so far I love my new Jeep, but I have to say I am blown away with all the electronics this vehicle has. Since I found this site I've been reading old posts and issues over the past few years. I am an older guy, retired always preferred to own simpler less complex vehicles, like 3 Ford Rangers over a 30 year span.It does not get much simpler than a Ford Ranger. Sometimes simpler is better, if you get my gist. While a gas and oil guy, I am not familiar with these new vehicles.

It seems the health of the battery is paramount on these Cherokees. I have read of all kinds of issues that can manifest themselves once the battery even starts to go south. Given all this, is it advisable to use a battery tender on my Jeep if I am going to not be driving it for a week or two at a time, which could happen frequently in the winter? I am curious if all these electronics will play nice with the tender.

I totally hate the ESS. That has to be one of the dumbest things auto manufacturers have come up with since the Edsel, IMHO. I plan on installing a Smart Stop Start soon to rid myself of that.

Thanx and cheers.
Old guy / old school here and at first I felt the same way about all the new electronics but two years later I won't be with out it . The ESS I just turn it off once I start the Cherokee . The days of doing most repairs on any vehicle are gone , if you planning keeping it once the warranty expires I highly recommend getting a factory Maximum Care warranty

Reactions: GCWIMMER
1 - 18 of 18 Posts