2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Alfaobd beginner 2019 latitude kl

8K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  Tico007 
#1 ·
Anybody that knows alfa wanna get me started? I sent my back up to Google, but I need to store my proxy settings, and maybe do the tire change to get familiar a little. I tried global windows down, and damn near broke the car.. Someone on FB said I can't do windows down with this model.. My success story with this software so far, is that my car still runs...
Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire Car

See less See more
#2 ·
I only did very basic functions with mine. Did a proxi alignment, turned off fog light drop out w/ high beams, and turned off the DRL drop out with turn signals.

Reactions: Steve_Kyle
#3 ·
I played a little with the single actuator function. I haven't had the washers since I bought the car, so I have been trying to diagnose that. Alfa is quite a powerful tool. I did get the washers to shoot fluid with alfa, and I'm waiting on the new steering wheel switches to see of that's the issue. But, after the attempt at global windows down, I'm a little shook up.

#4 ·
Yes global windows down doesn't work. I believe its due to the module not being powered on when the key is off. The fog lights with the high beams is usually a go to and is easy. I was able to use alfa to get Off Road Pages briefly, but after about 30 minutes it asked me to log into my Uconnect (which I didn't subscribe to), and then it removed itself. There are also some updates I had to do to the radio that require downloading and installing one at a time. The other think that comes to mind with alfa was I was able to fix my rear parking brake. It locked up on me when I was replacing pads and wouldn't come out of service mode. I was able to move them independently to get them back in sync and then all was good.

You mentioned tire size. I have not tried yet, but do not thing that it is possible either. I've heard others had ABS issues. Not sure if its possible to track down and reprogram everything that is affected. I've just know I'm going to be about 4 to 5 mph off, and to add 1.4 mpg back to my mpg to know what I'm running.

#5 ·
I wish there was a pinned post for our model that listed what's possible, and the steps. The dodge truck has. Pretty decent footprint on YouTube. But, our little grocery getters are ignored. Maybe I'll try the lights. I heard it really helps mileage to do the tire size change. A kid I was talking to a kid on Facebook that seemed pretty confident that I could do it. I'm just a little gun shy after the last incident. What about codes? I pulled these off the bcm, and they don't clear.
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property
by

#6 ·
I haven't looked at how the dodges do it, but it doesn't have the same options as the JK. From what others have said, when you type in the wheel size, it throws all sorts of codes, mainly abs codes, and maybe some transmission codes. I haven't looked into it yet on mine. The mpg doesn't actually change by changing it in the computer, only the readout will change. For instance, my mpg was between 22 and 23 mpg with 245/65/17. The 265/70/17 are something like 6% larger. That difference times the prior mpg came out to like 1.4mpg. Add that back and that's my correct amount. Therefore. 20.6 mpg now, is the same as 22 mpg before. Under both scenarios, the actual mpg hasn't changed.

#8 ·
It can affect shift pattern. I'm not sure what size you are running, but its not drastic. I believe you can adjust up to a 245/65, so the biggest you can get is only like 8% larger. In the lower speeds, you are only 2 or 3 mph off, so not like it would matter much. In addition to indicated mph, its also going to shift off of load. If the load is higher, then it will still hold the gear longer.

#9 ·
Only time i have done proxy alignments is when the odometer is flashing but maybe this is different. I have used alpha on the rams, other jeeps and dodges. There is a lot that can go wrong if you try to adjust settings that are not correct for the platform.

Those codes are not clearing? have anything not working when those codes are active? one is a comm issue. not sure what the other one is.

#10 ·
I bought her used and the only thing that doesn't work so far, is the radio was messed up. I actually got that fixed on my own. That's a story for another day. But, the washers never worked in front, and the backs worked for about a week. I changed the motor because that's an easy step, and the rears worked again for about 5 minutes. Then I introduced myself to alfaobd, and got the front sprayers to work through the single actuator page, but never the back. I will have the steering wheel assembly in a day or two, and am hoping this fixes my sprayer issue. But, everything else seems on point.

#11 ·
You are probably on the right track with the washer. I forgot to answer the proxy question. I generally will do it after most changes, or at least at the end when I am done. It doesn't take too long to do, and that way I know I'll have done it incase it needs it. I'm also not sure about those codes.

Reactions: Nammy 2019kl
#16 ·
Just make sure before you change something, you write down the values so you can change it back if you run into an issue. Also, its best to change one thing at a time, that way you know what caused your issue.

#18 ·
You can't really save them. They just re-run every time.

#19 ·
A few things
1. You need a security module bypass
2. You can't change tire size
3. AlphaOBD doesn't change TCM parameters, it can only run diagnostics.
4. If you keep failing proxi alignments you may need a canbus blue adapter to successfully complete the proxi alignment

#24 ·
Mobile phone Portable communications device Output device Communication Device Telephony

Ok, so no windows down, no tire change.. I can turn the fog lights on with high beams... What else have you guys been able to do successfully? I can program a key, yes?
I also have an aftermarket radio that I bought, that has a screen for climate controls, but the seller doesn't think it can talk to the bcm. He has a cable. But he doesn't think it will be right. Can i build the cable and order the right canbus? Or, can I make the one I have align with my car? I'd really like to understand how to make it work. I did install it, of course, and the seller said the the steering wheel controls should work, but I couldn't figure it out. I didn't try anything with alfa yet, cause I didn't have it yet. Am I correct in believing that with alfa I can get this radio to integrate successfully?

#27 ·
I installed a android unit in a dodge before and it worked well out of the box, did not need to do anything more. I have not gone too in depth with these cherokees as mines been at the dealer more then i have had it at home to test stuff. Someone hopefully will chime in.

#25 ·
Sorry to jump in, but I have been reading various posts on using AlfaODB and I want to try it.
I have a 2015 North Edition, my minor confusion is what adapters, if any, are needed?
I see mention of the Blue canbus adapter, a security gateway bypass module and various flavors of USB cables.
Suggestions?

-BobC

#30 ·
I dropped a bottle of coke on the Selec-Terrian dials on my Jeep Cherokee 2015 Trailhawk model, and the dials fell through. Nothing broke or snapped. I have looked everywhere on the internet on how to pop it back in, but have not struck gold yet. This is my last resort before I take it to the mechanics, but hoping that the members on here can help me out here with a step by step photo instruction or a video. Much appreciated

#32 ·
Its easy to pop out the center consol. I just did it installing my Ham radio. First pull out the rubber part in the cubby. Then pop off the flat piece right about it. Then the whole thing just pops out.

#34 · (Edited)
#40 · (Edited)
I tried to turn off tpms alert because one sensor wasnt working and damn that was a stressful process. I didnt do proxy alignment after the change and got almost every alert + visit service message possible (If you encounter this dont try to shift, tried it and I thought that my transmission left the car).

So I guess proxy alignment after every change is way how to be sure this doesnt happen again.

The blue adapter is needed in my case even though I have obd from the list of supported obds on the web that don't need the blue adapter.

#45 ·
Hi @Tico007,

• Regarding the bypass, since I have a 2014 I'm not an expert on this (I don't have the Security Gateway Module in my Cherokee) but don't see any reason why it couldn't be left in place so you don't need to connect the cable each time. I'm sure another forum member with a 2019+ has done this, perhaps there will be a response in a day or two.

The cables are about USD $15-20 and available on Amazon, AliExpress, eBay etc. Note, if you were going to leave it permanently, you may need an OBD extension cable to go from the OBD2 connector on the bypass cable down to the foot area and then mount at the connector where the existing OBD cable is (remove the connector and zip tie it up and out of the way). Otherwise, you'd need to leave the MX+ (or MC+) adapter in your dashboard behind the radio. Again, someone who has done this on a 2019+ can probably provide more details on this.​
Hope this helps.
Security Gateway Bypass cable
Product Font Line Screenshot Electronic device
Perhaps an extension is needed so you can connect the adapter without removing the radio?
Guitar accessory Font Audio equipment String instrument accessory Auto part

#46 · (Edited)
The alfaobd Company website should be a good place to start: AlfaOBD
Every Stelantis vehicle Website has alfaobd information specific to that vehicle.
Probably everything you want to know about alfaobd is on the Web if you can just find it.
There are probably YouTube videos, if not Post your own.
Refer to this Thread: https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com/threads/alphaobd-and-car-models-cherokee-kl-kk-kj.244724/#replies
I don't use alfaobd, but when I want to get answers about anything I search the Internet.

#47 ·
@Gary Kline thanks. That cable came up as a commonly purchased with option for the MX+ on Amazon. So if I leave it there and it becomes my ODB 2 port, am I able to reach it easily or should I put an extension on it? Also, another commonly purchased item is this one which (according to the information) bypasses and allows use of the original ODB 2 port. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of people on board based on the comments unless it’s new. What’s your thoughts?

Z Automotive Security Gateway Bypass Compatible with: Dodge Durango/Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018+ALL FCA VEHICLES INCLUDING FCA Platforms https://a.co/d/b2PuLHn

#49 ·
@Gary Kline thanks. That cable came up as a commonly purchased with option for the MX+ on Amazon. So if I leave it there and it becomes my ODB 2 port, am I able to reach it easily or should I put an extension on it? Also, another commonly purchased item is this one which (according to the information) bypasses and allows use of the original ODB 2 port. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of people on board based on the comments unless it’s new. What’s your thoughts?

Z Automotive Security Gateway Bypass Compatible with: Dodge Durango/Jeep Grand Cherokee 2018+ALL FCA VEHICLES INCLUDING FCA Platforms https://a.co/d/b2PuLHn
Hey @Tico007 ,

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. You may have already gotten past this stage but if you see another bypass than the one I put in my link, as long as it says for FCA vehicles (Chrysler, Jeep, RAM, Dodge), it should work on your Cherokee.

In the end, the Security Gateway Module isn't even as valuable today. It was added because a proof-of-concept hack was shown around 2013(?) with a Grand Cherokee where where the vehicle network could be accessed through the [now discontinued] 3G Mobile connection. However, since 3G has been discontinued unless you have a 4G uConnect AND you have a mobile data plan, then the vehicle can't be hacked over-the-air (OTA) anyway.

While the security gateway also provides physical security in that someone can't plug into the OBD2 port and re-program the vehicle, however if someone has obtained physical access to the vehicle, then really there's nothing that will stop someone and all bets are off anyway.