2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts
I've got the bypass, no tire change... also no global windows down? What's TCM, and why would i want to change it? Last, I haven't needed a proxy alignment yet, should I just get the canbus blue adapter now? Thanks for helping me get started.
The North American version of the Cherokee doesn't have the type of door (window) modules needed to work with Global Windows, so, not a limitation of AlfaOBD... :cool:

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Mobile phone Portable communications device Output device Communication Device Telephony

Ok, so no windows down, no tire change.. I can turn the fog lights on with high beams... What else have you guys been able to do successfully? I can program a key, yes?
I also have an aftermarket radio that I bought, that has a screen for climate controls, but the seller doesn't think it can talk to the bcm. He has a cable. But he doesn't think it will be right. Can i build the cable and order the right canbus? Or, can I make the one I have align with my car? I'd really like to understand how to make it work. I did install it, of course, and the seller said the the steering wheel controls should work, but I couldn't figure it out. I didn't try anything with alfa yet, cause I didn't have it yet. Am I correct in believing that with alfa I can get this radio to integrate successfully?

Sorry to jump in, but I have been reading various posts on using AlfaODB and I want to try it.
I have a 2015 North Edition, my minor confusion is what adapters, if any, are needed?
I see mention of the Blue canbus adapter, a security gateway bypass module and various flavors of USB cables.
Suggestions?

-BobC

Sorry to jump in, but I have been reading various posts on using AlfaODB and I want to try it.
I have a 2015 North Edition, my minor confusion is what adapters, if any, are needed?
I see mention of the Blue canbus adapter, a security gateway bypass module and various flavors of USB cables.
Suggestions?

-BobC

2015 does not have a security gateway so no bypass needed. May or may not need blue canbus adapter, some do, some dont. Will need a supported OBD2 dongle that works with the software. i use the OBDMX but its been replaced by the + version.

View attachment 219774
Ok, so no windows down, no tire change.. I can turn the fog lights on with high beams... What else have you guys been able to do successfully? I can program a key, yes?
I also have an aftermarket radio that I bought, that has a screen for climate controls, but the seller doesn't think it can talk to the bcm. He has a cable. But he doesn't think it will be right. Can i build the cable and order the right canbus? Or, can I make the one I have align with my car? I'd really like to understand how to make it work. I did install it, of course, and the seller said the the steering wheel controls should work, but I couldn't figure it out. I didn't try anything with alfa yet, cause I didn't have it yet. Am I correct in believing that with alfa I can get this radio to integrate successfully?

I installed a android unit in a dodge before and it worked well out of the box, did not need to do anything more. I have not gone too in depth with these cherokees as mines been at the dealer more then i have had it at home to test stuff. Someone hopefully will chime in.

2015 does not have a security gateway so no bypass needed. May or may not need blue canbus adapter, some do, some dont. Will need a supported OBD2 dongle that works with the software. i use the OBDMX but its been replaced by the + version.
Thank you for the information, now to get the software and I will order the OBDMX+ just to be safe. Would hate to be trying to work on the KL and not have the proper adapters!

-BobC

View attachment 219774
No, you cannot use it to program keys (at least as far as I know). Now in regards to the aftermarket radio. I'm not sure on that one. Usually in order to retain factory functions with an aftermarket unit, it will need to be one that supports idatalink for one of the maestro units. Now I'm not saying there are not some aftermarket units that can work directly, its just a little out of my knowledge base. Unfortunately with the KL, there is just not much that is able to change. I even tried changing my backup lights from bulb to LED when I upgraded, and that didn't even work, had to install resistors to clear the bulb out warning. Alfa in the KL is mainly used for fixing things. I used to use it for diagnosis as well, but actually found the obdlink software was better/faster for most things when I didn't need to actually command the KL to do something.

I dropped a bottle of coke on the Selec-Terrian dials on my Jeep Cherokee 2015 Trailhawk model, and the dials fell through. Nothing broke or snapped. I have looked everywhere on the internet on how to pop it back in, but have not struck gold yet. This is my last resort before I take it to the mechanics, but hoping that the members on here can help me out here with a step by step photo instruction or a video. Much appreciated

Its easy to pop out the center consol. I just did it installing my Ham radio. First pull out the rubber part in the cubby. Then pop off the flat piece right about it. Then the whole thing just pops out.

2014 Cherokee TH. JScan says I need the blue adapter. Any help as to
where I can get one would be great.

I'm having trouble finding just the blue one, but this is what you are looking for.

If you have patients I got a set on Aliexpress for around $22. just takes about a month as from china. Ali is safe also

Anybody that knows alfa wanna get me started? I sent my back up to Google, but I need to store my proxy settings, and maybe do the tire change to get familiar a little. I tried global windows down, and damn near broke the car.. Someone on FB said I can't do windows down with this model.. My success story with this software so far, is that my car still runs... View attachment 219760
Yep.... Tried to change tpms and nearly bricked it....

I've got the bypass, no tire change... also no global windows down? What's TCM, and why would i want to change it? Last, I haven't needed a proxy alignment yet, should I just get the canbus blue adapter now? Thanks for helping me get started.
Except that it does change parameters. Go watch the Wrangler videos where they can change the TPMS thresholds.

Except that it does change parameters. Go watch the Wrangler videos where they can change the TPMS thresholds.
A Wrangler ain't a Cherokee...😎

As you get more and more into alfa, you will realize that most things don't carry over to the KL.

Yep.... Tried to change tpms and nearly bricked it....
I tried to turn off tpms alert because one sensor wasnt working and damn that was a stressful process. I didnt do proxy alignment after the change and got almost every alert + visit service message possible (If you encounter this dont try to shift, tried it and I thought that my transmission left the car).

So I guess proxy alignment after every change is way how to be sure this doesnt happen again.

The blue adapter is needed in my case even though I have obd from the list of supported obds on the web that don't need the blue adapter.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts