2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Alfaobd beginner 2019 latitude kl

8K views 57 replies 17 participants last post by  Tico007 
Yes global windows down doesn't work. I believe its due to the module not being powered on when the key is off. The fog lights with the high beams is usually a go to and is easy. I was able to use alfa to get Off Road Pages briefly, but after about 30 minutes it asked me to log into my Uconnect (which I didn't subscribe to), and then it removed itself. There are also some updates I had to do to the radio that require downloading and installing one at a time. The other think that comes to mind with alfa was I was able to fix my rear parking brake. It locked up on me when I was replacing pads and wouldn't come out of service mode. I was able to move them independently to get them back in sync and then all was good.

You mentioned tire size. I have not tried yet, but do not thing that it is possible either. I've heard others had ABS issues. Not sure if its possible to track down and reprogram everything that is affected. I've just know I'm going to be about 4 to 5 mph off, and to add 1.4 mpg back to my mpg to know what I'm running.

I haven't looked at how the dodges do it, but it doesn't have the same options as the JK. From what others have said, when you type in the wheel size, it throws all sorts of codes, mainly abs codes, and maybe some transmission codes. I haven't looked into it yet on mine. The mpg doesn't actually change by changing it in the computer, only the readout will change. For instance, my mpg was between 22 and 23 mpg with 245/65/17. The 265/70/17 are something like 6% larger. That difference times the prior mpg came out to like 1.4mpg. Add that back and that's my correct amount. Therefore. 20.6 mpg now, is the same as 22 mpg before. Under both scenarios, the actual mpg hasn't changed.

Interesting. I got the impression that it changed the shifting pattern as well as the speedometer. I don't know. I'm just the new guy. I was also told we have to do a proxy alignment every time we do a change. Have you found this to be true?
It can affect shift pattern. I'm not sure what size you are running, but its not drastic. I believe you can adjust up to a 245/65, so the biggest you can get is only like 8% larger. In the lower speeds, you are only 2 or 3 mph off, so not like it would matter much. In addition to indicated mph, its also going to shift off of load. If the load is higher, then it will still hold the gear longer.

You are probably on the right track with the washer. I forgot to answer the proxy question. I generally will do it after most changes, or at least at the end when I am done. It doesn't take too long to do, and that way I know I'll have done it incase it needs it. I'm also not sure about those codes.

Reactions: Nammy 2019kl
Just make sure before you change something, you write down the values so you can change it back if you run into an issue. Also, its best to change one thing at a time, that way you know what caused your issue.

Will do. Someone told me to save my proxy settings, too. I haven't found that screen yet.
You can't really save them. They just re-run every time.

View attachment 219774
Ok, so no windows down, no tire change.. I can turn the fog lights on with high beams... What else have you guys been able to do successfully? I can program a key, yes?
I also have an aftermarket radio that I bought, that has a screen for climate controls, but the seller doesn't think it can talk to the bcm. He has a cable. But he doesn't think it will be right. Can i build the cable and order the right canbus? Or, can I make the one I have align with my car? I'd really like to understand how to make it work. I did install it, of course, and the seller said the the steering wheel controls should work, but I couldn't figure it out. I didn't try anything with alfa yet, cause I didn't have it yet. Am I correct in believing that with alfa I can get this radio to integrate successfully?
No, you cannot use it to program keys (at least as far as I know). Now in regards to the aftermarket radio. I'm not sure on that one. Usually in order to retain factory functions with an aftermarket unit, it will need to be one that supports idatalink for one of the maestro units. Now I'm not saying there are not some aftermarket units that can work directly, its just a little out of my knowledge base. Unfortunately with the KL, there is just not much that is able to change. I even tried changing my backup lights from bulb to LED when I upgraded, and that didn't even work, had to install resistors to clear the bulb out warning. Alfa in the KL is mainly used for fixing things. I used to use it for diagnosis as well, but actually found the obdlink software was better/faster for most things when I didn't need to actually command the KL to do something.

Its easy to pop out the center consol. I just did it installing my Ham radio. First pull out the rubber part in the cubby. Then pop off the flat piece right about it. Then the whole thing just pops out.

Except that it does change parameters. Go watch the Wrangler videos where they can change the TPMS thresholds.
As you get more and more into alfa, you will realize that most things don't carry over to the KL.