2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading a bit about airing down... I've done some off road stuff but never lowered tire pressure before. Two questions:

1) What's a good pressure? I see some saying 22-25, and others saying go to 15.... I was thinking maybe split the difference and go 20?

2) Will the TH squawk at me that the tires are low? If so is there a way to shut it off, or do you just live with it until you air back up?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,507 Posts
1. You'll see #s all over the place, depends on tires, terrain and conditions, beaches you can go low, rocky not so much (you don't want to break the bead).
2. Yes it will alert you, but not in a distracting way all the time, helps to remind you to air back up before you get back on the road!

;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
FWIW, One of the beaches I go out on requires you to air down to a max of 12 psi. They require you to have a tire gauge that reads below 10 psi along with a number of other items before you get your over sand permit.

Dave

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I have only aired down once and I think it was in the 22 to 25 psi range.
I was airing down for rocks not sand.
Just ignore the error. I let the EVIC show my tire pressure so if I pop a bead I will know it sooner rather than later.
The nice pretty white "Firestone" on the sidewall got pretty well mangled so you may want to put the white sidewall inboard.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,507 Posts
Interesting! Here in southern california there aren't many drive on the beach options....
LOL, Hard enough to drive on the freeways out there, too! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
What's a good pressure?
Depends on the tires. I wouldn't drop the stock Destinations much lower about 25, I don't think the sidewalls would take it. They're not really designed for airing down...😎

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Interesting! Here in southern california there aren't many drive on the beach options....
Pismo Beach is literally the only place on 800 and something miles of coastline in Cali that you can still drive on the beach, that I'm aware of...😎

·
Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
282 Posts
I always drop to about 20 to 25. I've never done sand but know you should go lower but you need the right tires and wheels for that. I have an air pump I carry with me at all times so it's not an issue. Makes the bumps less bumpy if you air down.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Scorp

·
Registered
447 Posts
I do 20, also carry an air pump. Like others said make sure tires can handle it. Not stock, have firestone xts btw.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
12 PSI would be super extreme without beadlocks IMO. I've seen full-on mudders pop a bead on relatively light CJs at 12-ish PSI. Limit I go is about 15 on my 37 SST Pro on my JK. Limit I go on my stock Firestone Destination AT is 20, but with "2 ply" (they're radial, so ply is estimated) 20 PSI is pushing the limit, again IMO. The advice on this forum for the Destinations is 20-25 PSI - sounds reasonable. I take it you have a Trailhawk?

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pismo Beach is literally the only place on 800 and something miles of coastline in Cali that you can still drive on the beach, that I'm aware of...😎
North of Crescent City you can drive on the beach at Tolowa Dunes state park. Deep soft sand, I never tried it, and a local I talked to said he wouldn’t take his CJ with 35s on that beach.

I’m in Delaware now now and managed to get a beach pass. Tried it out tonight, deep soft sand with deep ruts. Aired the 235/60/18 Falken Wildpeaks down to about 21-22 psi, 4-Low + Mud/Sand mode and has no problems.

The low tire pressure light was on but no warning chimes.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
North of Crescent City you can drive on the beach at Tolowa Dunes state park. Deep soft sand, I never tried it, and a local I talked to said he wouldn’t take his CJ with 35s on that beach.

I’m in Delaware now now and managed to get a beach pass. Tried it out tonight, deep soft sand with deep ruts. Aired the 235/60/18 Falken Wildpeaks down to about 21-22 psi, 4-Low + Mud/Sand mode and has no problems.

View attachment 215673

View attachment 215674
I'm jealous!!! Looks like a great evening...😎

·
Registered
139 Posts

View attachment 215673

View attachment 215674
Those pictures look like the beaches I have been driving on for over 30 years. Other than Race Point which is part of the national sea shore on Cape Cod and you are required to air down to a max of 12 psi I have never felt the need to air down at all. Also it has been my experience low range is not required at all and aggressive all terrain tires are a detriment, an all season road tire works well. For the most part 4wd is not needed but the real key to success driving on the beach is ground clearance. The beach nearest to my house looks like a parking lot on summer weekends and the vehicles that get stuck are ones with minimal ground clearance, they get hung up in ruts.

Dave

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Is that because his 35" mud terrains would reach China digging in? Ruts? flipping over? any details?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Is that because his 35" mud terrains would reach China digging in? Ruts? flipping over? any details?
He said there were deep soft spots where he’d seen all kind of vehicles get in deep, including sand rails.

I only saw a few vehicles on the beach out there, nothing too special, just old Broncos on normal tires, and never saw anyone get stuck. But cell service was bad, there were occasional sneaker waves that could go all the way to the dunes (I never saw one of those either), and I never bothered to get an air pump, shovel, etc.

Here at Cape Henlopen there’s a lot of vehicles on the beach so if you get stuck there’s plenty of help, and good air stations right off the beach. It took around 20 seconds to fill a tire from 20 to 40 psi.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I took my Destinations to 18 once....never again. The sidewalls took serious hits from rocks even when I didn't even remember hitting rocks. I will run 20-22, but now with the Wildpeak AT3W I am hopping to get back to the 18 range. They have much more robust sidewall protection, but I am not sure of how stiff they are.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I took my Destinations to 18 once....never again. The sidewalls took serious hits from rocks even when I didn't even remember hitting rocks. I will run 20-22, but now with the Wildpeak AT3W I am hopping to get back to the 18 range. They have much more robust sidewall protection, but I am not sure of how stiff they are.
I wouldn't go to 18psi for anything but deep soft sand. At 21-22 psi steering was noticeably heavier and vague on pavement at parking lot speeds, and the fronts looked half flat. For hard surfaces I probably wouldn't go below 30psi or so, definitely not under 25. When I was on rocky fire roads the 35psi I ran on the street was fine. 25 psi may have offered a slightly softer ride, but from what I saw yesterday I'd have wanted to park on a grapefruit-sized rock to see how much tire deformation I had and whether that might put me at risk of pinching the tire on the rim.

I have 18" wheels so my options are somewhat limited. With 17" Trailhawk wheels you can fit a higher-volume tire so you can run a little less pressure. But you'd still be a long way from the air volume of 35s so you're not going to get close to the pressures they can run.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts