2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Aftermarket Trailer Hitches and Wiring

36K views 49 replies 30 participants last post by  Muldune 
#1 · (Edited)
Well looks like aftermarket hitches available (except Trailhawk), before the Jeeps are hehehe:

Drawtite/Hidden Hitch, Towready Wiring

http://www.etrailer.com/vehicle/2014/Jeep/Cherokee

Going to sit a lot lower than the factory one, under the rear bumper cover.

#6 ·
I do have a small trailer I go camping with. But it weighs less than 1700 lbs. loaded for camping. I just like the additional hardware that is available via the Tow Package that you can not easily get aftermarket.

And I like having the hitch tucked up out of the way. It will keep me from bashing it when I go off-road.

#12 ·
It should be an inconsequential loss, imo

#13 ·
My original plans were to get an aftermarket hitch and do it myself, but after I priced the hitch and my time.....not worth it. Then I looked at a rig on a lot 50 miles away that was close to what I wanted but without a hitch.

One of the reasons I went with the factory Tow Group had to do with one dealer explaining to me that "they would just make a quick cutout in the bumper skin and add some sort of trim to cover it up, that's what they do t the factory"

I had no confidence in that 'theory' so when I ordered mine (from a different dealer) I got the factory package. As mentioned, the other goodies/upgrades made it a no-brainer.

#14 ·
I too wanted a trailer hitch but they said 8 weeks waiting time, I thought its not a good plan to wait 8 weeks to drive new Cherokee and could go with after market hitch installation. The factory hitch is capable to two 4500lb but not sure about the aftermarket ones.

#16 · (Edited)
After market ones are 2000 lbs.
The tow group comes with things like full spare, and extra cooling depending on your configuration.
If not installed by an OEM dealer be sure the wiring is not spliced into the rear light wiring. It should go into the harness to the relay.

#17 ·
I now regret not taking the factory Trailer Hitch with my new Cherokee Limited. At first I was more like, '' Nah never used it on the Ram, so I don't need it.''
But Yes, with the Ram a lot of stuff just got tossed in the back. Now that I don't have a place to carry the dirty stuff ! Like dirt, wood and the rest, I kind of realise the mistake I made by not taking the trailer assembly.

I know, I can have it after market, but with the factory installed I feel it's more convenient. Ratio and all.

But eh ! it's still a Jeep ! ;)
2 Weeks left of waiting

#21 ·
I bought my KL off the lot, and regret not getting cold weather & tow group now. If any members out there have not ordered a KL yet, I would highly suggest buying the tow group. Whether I4 or V6, you will have added hardware with tow group that are irreplaceable! Now for the others who didn't order tow..... All aftermarket hitches (that I have researched) are gonna be under the bumper and will lower ground clearance and departure angles in the rear. If that doesn't matter to you, then continue on. If that does matter to you, then I suggest a factory hitch (P/N are different for non-Th's) because it will go behind your bumper. It is my understanding that all KL's have the harness connection in the rear, but a connection will be required from the harness (body end) to the receiver hitch (pictured above). I will be doing a custom set-up. I will remove my rear support bar and add my own receiver, as well as add another tow hook to the right side, so I can have matching tow hooks in the rear as well!! still haven't made time to do it though..... Hope I helped!

ADDED- Install is not hard for the mechanically inclined. There are a couple of threads of other members installs on this site as well.

#25 ·
I'm not currently planning to tow so didn't get the package. However, I've done a couple of Curt brand aftermarket hitches in the past (2007 Caravan & 2010 Charger), and they were very easy to install in the driveway and inexpensive, including their light adapter kit. Figure maybe an hour for the hitch, 1/2 hour for the light kit. Someone with experience would take only half this time.

The disadvantage for Cherokee is that these hitches mount under the bumper fascia and so would make a difference in rear departure angle when off-roading.

If you're planning to tow, the factory installed package is a huge bargain, and a good salesman should be able to find a Cherokee with the package via Chrysler's computer system and do a dealer trade to get it for you. If he says he can't, go elsewhere.

#26 ·
I'm not currently planning to tow so didn't get the package. However, I've done a couple of Curt brand aftermarket hitches in the past (2007 Caravan & 2010 Charger), and they were very easy to install in the driveway and inexpensive, including their light adapter kit. Figure maybe an hour for the hitch, 1/2 hour for the light kit. Someone with experience would take only half this time.

The disadvantage for Cherokee is that these hitches mount under the bumper fascia and so would make a difference in rear departure angle when off-roading.

If you're planning to tow, the factory installed package is a huge bargain, and a good salesman should be able to find a Cherokee with the package via Chrysler's computer system and do a dealer trade to get it for you. If he says he can't, go elsewhere.
I second this. We have been looking for a new vehicle that could also tow a small to mid size trailer. Ford and Chevy and every one else only puts in a 1 1/4" receiver and a wiring for 3,500lb capacity. I too have installed two after market hitches in an Expo and and Vue with ok success. For the amount they were asking I would have just done aftermarket since I could install them myself for around half the cost.

The 3500 would have been ok weight wise but I love the extra cooling, spare tire, slick plug install and ratio. I never even thought of the height off the ground.

We searched online for one with a towing package one afternoon and bought it that night. I think it was the only one on the lot.

Oh and they did say they could do a dealer install said no thanks.

#27 ·
#29 · (Edited)
I bought, 2015 Jeep Cherokee T-One Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector, from etrailer.com. It was a piece of cake to install, only took me about an hour to install. I bought a mopar plug. ( part # 56055632AC) because I wanted the "factory" look and the pigtail (4' Pigtail Wiring Harness for Pollak Replacement 7-Pole RV Socket Pollack parts ). I cut off the 4 way flat plug and spliced in the pigtail, then just plugged it into the factory plug, then the 4' Pigtail Wiring Harness for Pollak Replacement 7-Pole RV Socket
Pollak Accessories and Parts
just snaps into the cutout in the hitch receiver. The plug they show for my vehicle was an exact match for the factory plug, could have saved a few bucks. The factory plug I did buy says mopar on the front, but says Pollak on the back. I guess they make them for mopar.

#30 ·
Just a side note, I bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x2, with no tow package. I bought a hitch later from Curtis, like I have for so many other vehicles in the past, wiring kit and installed. Something unique happened, the only lights on my trailer that worked was the left tail light. After relooking at everything many times, I finally broke down and called the local dealer. He stated that while most vehicles everything should work, Jeep is wired differently. It requires a Mopar wiring harness and a computer reprogram, which includes installing the towing piece. After $200, I had the dealer install said harness and reprogram Jeep. Now I have no issues towing my 6 x 8 trailer with my HD in it. Lesson learn for this do it yourselfer. BTW I sold the old harness kit to the maintenance guy since he had a wrangler and needed one for his hitch.

#31 ·
this is a great thread. However, I have to make a comment on this towing capacity for the trailhawk. I've been following along and some say that getting the dealer to put on an OEM hitch and wire harness after the fact still will NOT get you to 4500 lbs max tow? I shared that with another who tells me thats bunk. All Trailhawks come prepped to tow 4500 by their systems and just need the hitch and harness installed to complete it. I'm confused as to all the back and forth and would have thought that Jeep could just state, for TH we do X. I have the large spare tire, trans cooler and so on and when the dealer put on the wire harness they did this "flash" thing to ensure set up and good to go and now could do 4500 lbs so not sure why now the "final gear ratio" is not going to work and I can really only do 2000lbs. buying a trailer so couldn't come at a worse time! lol

any comments or thoughts on this or is that all bunk and the TH are good to go?

#32 ·
You never said what engine you have. That would make the difference, if you have the misfortune of owning a 2.4 Tigershark. That engine can barely pull the Cherokee down the road. That's going to back you down to 2000#...😎

#34 ·
Well then, apparently you don't have Tow Package gears, because those would be 3.55's on a 3.2 Trailhawk. But that's the least of your worries, it's the 20 foot trailer you plan to pull...😎

#36 ·
Something like this is the VERY Biggest camper trailer you can tow with a Cherokee, and it is 16ft, and you better know what you're doing. You're also going to need a trailer brake controller too. I'm not trying to to tell you one way or the other, just thinking about the safety of you and your family...😎
Sky Cloud Window Wheel Vehicle

#38 ·
Thk you. This was very helpful. Just wish I hadn’t spent weeks working on this only to find out at h hour I’m not equipped, regardless of trailer size. I found a needle in a haystack for trailers. Super light and well set up. You won’t find one like this at 2600 pounds. Jayco jay flight swift slx 184bh.

#48 ·
Okay, question. I have the 4500 lb package save the rear end gears (though slight), what are your thoughts on towing a 1937lb dry trailer? States my jeeps gears safely do 2000 and this may be smidge over with propane (17lbs and battery 53lbs) but otherwise mostly empty. Seem reasonable to drive across the country with that load? Oh and trailer is 14 ft 9 in long so pretty small. It’s a retro 155xl 2015. let me know what you think

#49 · (Edited)
That's probably a little better. Do you have a link to the model with the actual specs???😎
Edit
Ok, I found it. That's actually a great option. Low tongue weight at 220lbs, that's very important. Looks like a cool little camper. You'll still need a good anti sway system, and a good brake controller, and I think that's a great unit!!!😎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.