2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Registered
3.2 V6 with a gear ratio of 3.251 and ADII
Well then, apparently you don't have Tow Package gears, because those would be 3.55's on a 3.2 Trailhawk. But that's the least of your worries, it's the 20 foot trailer you plan to pull...馃槑
If it's a V6 with AD2, it has 3.517 final gearing, not 3.251. Do you have 4 Low @Muldune ?

Edit to add : Oh boy, just realized this OP has posted in different threads about towing and the gearing aspect has been discussed there. Way too confusing for me, I'm outta here.

Registered
If it's a V6 with AD2, it has 3.517 final gearing, not 3.251. Do you have 4 Low @Muldune ?

Edit to add : Oh boy, just realized this OP has posted in different threads about towing and the gearing aspect has been discussed there. Way too confusing for me, I'm outta here.
Ya, like six different ones!!! I knew they were around 3.55's. I know mine are 3.73's We were having that argument on the 3.2 vs 2.0T thread. It was that other guy saying something about the 3.25's or something, and why we don't have them...LOL!!! You're never going to hear me arguing with you about anything brother, you've taught me almost everything I know about KL's my friend...馃槑馃憤

Reactions: Mark_

Registered
Ya, like six different ones!!! I knew they were around 3.55's. I know mine are 3.73's We were having that argument on the 3.2 vs 2.0T thread. It was that other guy saying something about the 3.25's or something, and why we don't have them...LOL!!! You're never going to hear me arguing with you about anything brother, you've taught me almost everything I know about KL's my friend...馃槑馃憤
Haha... well, you know much more about the towing world than I do, I just happen to know most V6 KL related specs just reading a lot of threads here. This member is engaged in a few threads discussing the same things and I hate that... because confusion sets in fast, with opinions in some threads, facts in others, etc... And then when some answers are given and appear to be ignored... grrrr... (not pointing at you here ;) )

Registered
Haha... well, you know much more about the towing world than I do, I just happen to know most V6 KL related specs just reading a lot of threads here. This member is engaged in a few threads discussing the same things and I hate that... because confusion sets in fast, with opinions in some threads, facts in others, etc... And then when some answers are given and appear to be ignored... grrrr... (not pointing at you here ;) )
I hear you man. I'm most worried about the size of the trailer he's talking about, a 20 ft camper is A LOT of mass!!! Even if it's well within the gross vehicle weight, and towing capacity. There's a lot of factors in play with a trailer that size, especially behind the Cherokee. My 16 footer can be a handful, especially if there's the slightest bit of crosswind. A lighter trailer makes it MUCH worse. I don't like it...馃槑

Registered
I hear you man. I'm most worried about the size of the trailer he's talking about, a 20 ft camper is A LOT of mass!!! Even if it's well within the gross vehicle weight, and towing capacity. There's a lot of factors in play with a trailer that size, especially behind the Cherokee. My 16 footer can be a handful, especially if there's the slightest bit of crosswind. A lighter trailer makes it MUCH worse. I don't like it...馃槑
follow up from first discussion>. Went to dealer to get to the bottom of this from a mechanic with tore up hands (ie., someone who is straight talking and not ...). Well you know.
in anycase, says its pretty tight (sm diff) but will be slower on starts and hills. I then told him how he would feel towing it over the cascades...that鈥檚 when he said, no, wouldn鈥檛 do that. First straight answer yet! He said it CAN tow the 4500 pounds, but the pressure on the rear end for long periods of time and duration, will likely hurt that rear end. Not worth it, called dealer and cancelled order. Now wife furious so I gave her your handle....okay not really, but she is pissed. I now can tow a canoe with a dealer installed hitch and harness and a low gear ratio. That was worth the 1000$ I paid the dealer to install. Expensive lesson and something to pass on so that鈥檚 what I;m doing. Still in hunt for small option but not easy to find in covid times. Best to YouTube

Registered
follow up from first discussion>. Went to dealer to get to the bottom of this from a mechanic with tore up hands (ie., someone who is straight talking and not ...). Well you know.
in anycase, says its pretty tight (sm diff) but will be slower on starts and hills. I then told him how he would feel towing it over the cascades...that鈥檚 when he said, no, wouldn鈥檛 do that. First straight answer yet! He said it CAN tow the 4500 pounds, but the pressure on the rear end for long periods of time and duration, will likely hurt that rear end. Not worth it, called dealer and cancelled order. Now wife furious so I gave her your handle....okay not really, but she is pissed. I now can tow a canoe with a dealer installed hitch and harness and a low gear ratio. That was worth the 1000$ I paid the dealer to install. Expensive lesson and something to pass on so that鈥檚 what I;m doing. Still in hunt for small option but not easy to find in covid times. Best to YouTube
Don't kick yourself man, you're not the first person. I was prowling this forum long before I even made the decision to buy my Trailhawk, and also prowled the forums, and researched all the others that I was contemplating. I actually do that with literally everything I'm thinking about buying. My wife says I'm OCD, but she also knows it's always paid off in the long run. There's plenty of nice campers out there that your Cherokee is fully capable of safety towing, but it's not going to be the nice 38 foot 5th wheel toy hauler that I'd love to have, but then I would have to drop $85-90,000 on a new truck to pull it with...Good luck, and I hope you find something that you can pull, and that the wife approves of!!! Keep us posted...馃槑

Reactions: AtlCade69

Registered
Don't kick yourself man, you're not the first person. I was prowling this forum long before I even made the decision to buy my Trailhawk, and also prowled the forums, and researched all the others that I was contemplating. I actually do that with literally everything I'm thinking about buying. My wife says I'm OCD, but she also knows it's always paid off in the long run. There's plenty of nice campers out there that your Cherokee is fully capable of safety towing, but it's not going to be the nice 38 foot 5th wheel toy hauler that I'd love to have, but then I would have to drop $85-90,000 on a new truck to pull it with...Good luck, and I hope you find something that you can pull, and that the wife approves of!!! Keep us posted...馃槑
Will do!

Registered
Okay, question. I have the 4500 lb package save the rear end gears (though slight), what are your thoughts on towing a 1937lb dry trailer? States my jeeps gears safely do 2000 and this may be smidge over with propane (17lbs and battery 53lbs) but otherwise mostly empty. Seem reasonable to drive across the country with that load? Oh and trailer is 14 ft 9 in long so pretty small. It鈥檚 a retro 155xl 2015. let me know what you think

Registered
Okay, question. I have the 4500 lb package save the rear end gears (though slight), what are your thoughts on towing a 1937lb dry trailer? States my jeeps gears safely do 2000 and this may be smidge over with propane (17lbs and battery 53lbs) but otherwise mostly empty. Seem reasonable to drive across the country with that load? Oh and trailer is 14 ft 9 in long so pretty small. It鈥檚 a retro 155xl 2015. let me know what you think
That's probably a little better. Do you have a link to the model with the actual specs???馃槑
Edit
Ok, I found it. That's actually a great option. Low tongue weight at 220lbs, that's very important. Looks like a cool little camper. You'll still need a good anti sway system, and a good brake controller, and I think that's a great unit!!!馃槑

Registered
Okay, will make an offer but thinking it may have sold reviewing the dealer site. I鈥檝e been looking all over and putting in req on line searches for trailers under 2000 and guess which one never showed up....yep, this one. Bumped into totally by accident.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts