2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well looks like aftermarket hitches available (except Trailhawk), before the Jeeps are hehehe:

Drawtite/Hidden Hitch, Towready Wiring

http://www.etrailer.com/vehicle/2014/Jeep/Cherokee

Going to sit a lot lower than the factory one, under the rear bumper cover.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nice. I didn't get the factory hitch, but I might install one in the future if I decide to get a trailer. I have a truck now, so I'm used to the bed, and I'm a bit afraid that I might notice it more once it is gone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the factory hitch because of the beefed-up mechanical goodies, as well as the higher (numerically) final drive ratio.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the factory hitch because of the beefed-up mechanical goodies, as well as the higher (numerically) final drive ratio.
This is exaclty why I did it.

Reactions: zzjdzz

·
Registered
861 Posts
+1. I have always ordered a trailer towing package for this very reason - heavy duty alternator, transmission cooler etc.

I remember looking at a Ford Escape before I purchased my 2002 Liberty as I was wanting a new tow vehicle for my boat. When I noticed the 1" receiver and advised the sales rep that I would only accept a 2" receiver, he advised that I would have to take it to U-Haul to have it modified. I sad "no thanks" and walked across the the street and bought my 2002 Liberty which had even better towing capacity. One of best moves I ever made - LOL.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I do have a small trailer I go camping with. But it weighs less than 1700 lbs. loaded for camping. I just like the additional hardware that is available via the Tow Package that you can not easily get aftermarket.

And I like having the hitch tucked up out of the way. It will keep me from bashing it when I go off-road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 trailhawk, want to add factory hitch

We already have a 2014 Trailhawk and just want to add a hitch for bike racks. I really want it to look like the factory hitches that are positioned in the bumper (not below). My dealer can't find the part, can anyone?

·
Registered
61 Posts
We already have a 2014 Trailhawk and just want to add a hitch for bike racks. I really want it to look like the factory hitches that are positioned in the bumper (not below). My dealer can't find the part, can anyone?
It would be nice to be able to get it to look that way... Any luck with that yet?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
For 400 bucks and the additional goodies, it was a no brainer for me to add

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any luck with getting your OEM receiver installed? If so, where and how much did they charge?

If not, this is the Mopar Part # 82213349AB. I have been emailing with the gentlemen at My Jeep Accessories as they had it listed as available a few weeks ago (my dealer said they didn't have a timeframe on delivery) they informed me that "the part has left the 'supplier' and will take a week or two to go through chrysler".

Check these guys out here: http://myjeepaccessories.com/products/carriers-cargo-hauling/hitches-towing/82213349AB you may have to re-navigate to the cherokee section.

·
Registered
700 Posts
For 400 bucks and the additional goodies, it was a no brainer for me to add

Was the (potential) loss of MPG not a factor?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
It should be an inconsequential loss, imo

·
Super Moderator
7,412 Posts
My original plans were to get an aftermarket hitch and do it myself, but after I priced the hitch and my time.....not worth it. Then I looked at a rig on a lot 50 miles away that was close to what I wanted but without a hitch.

One of the reasons I went with the factory Tow Group had to do with one dealer explaining to me that "they would just make a quick cutout in the bumper skin and add some sort of trim to cover it up, that's what they do t the factory"

I had no confidence in that 'theory' so when I ordered mine (from a different dealer) I got the factory package. As mentioned, the other goodies/upgrades made it a no-brainer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I too wanted a trailer hitch but they said 8 weeks waiting time, I thought its not a good plan to wait 8 weeks to drive new Cherokee and could go with after market hitch installation. The factory hitch is capable to two 4500lb but not sure about the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Was the (potential) loss of MPG not a factor?
For me, nope it wasn't, it was having the versatility of the tow pack....really the amount of extra fuel used would be inconsequential

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I too wanted a trailer hitch but they said 8 weeks waiting time, I thought its not a good plan to wait 8 weeks to drive new Cherokee and could go with after market hitch installation. The factory hitch is capable to two 4500lb but not sure about the aftermarket ones.
After market ones are 2000 lbs.
The tow group comes with things like full spare, and extra cooling depending on your configuration.
If not installed by an OEM dealer be sure the wiring is not spliced into the rear light wiring. It should go into the harness to the relay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I now regret not taking the factory Trailer Hitch with my new Cherokee Limited. At first I was more like, '' Nah never used it on the Ram, so I don't need it.''
But Yes, with the Ram a lot of stuff just got tossed in the back. Now that I don't have a place to carry the dirty stuff ! Like dirt, wood and the rest, I kind of realise the mistake I made by not taking the trailer assembly.

I know, I can have it after market, but with the factory installed I feel it's more convenient. Ratio and all.

But eh ! it's still a Jeep ! ;)
2 Weeks left of waiting

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any luck with getting your OEM receiver installed? If so, where and how much did they charge?

If not, this is the Mopar Part # 82213349AB. I have been emailing with the gentlemen at My Jeep Accessories as they had it listed as available a few weeks ago (my dealer said they didn't have a timeframe on delivery) they informed me that "the part has left the 'supplier' and will take a week or two to go through chrysler".

Check these guys out here: http://myjeepaccessories.com/products/carriers-cargo-hauling/hitches-towing/82213349AB you may have to re-navigate to the cherokee section.

Thanks for that information, I will be ordering that, once I get my truck for sure. I just have a question, how to determine which connector you need ? The 7 or the 4 pins. I guess it depends on which one you have on the trailer connection ? is that right ? Thanks for the answer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Thanks for that information, I will be ordering that, once I get my truck for sure. I just have a question, how to determine which connector you need ? The 7 or the 4 pins. I guess it depends on which one you have on the trailer connection ? is that right ? Thanks for the answer.
1 - The hitch # above is for Trailhawk models only. It will not fit your Limited. You need the hitch and bolts listed in my parts list in this thread that fits the non TH models...

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/49-exterior/28162-oem-tow-setup-order.html

2 - You will also need a new rear fascia. The one in my list is for a Latitude 3.2L so it isn't what you need. Make sure you get the correct one for your model and engine.

3 - The factory connector accepts both 7 & 4 pin trailer wiring. It is a dual purpose unit. You just lift up whatever cover you need to match your trailer wiring. Look at the photo below and you will see the connector has 2 covers. 4 pin is on the left and 7 pin on the right. Aftermarket wiring doesn't use this type of connector. It uses a 4-flat and is stored in the spare tire well and then laid out under the tailgate when needed. It is not as good of a system but it is cheaper.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts