2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if there’s a decent or good looking way to have your light bar switch installed inside of your KL without seeing the annoying wires.
Also, I lost my rubber seal and I think they’re on the skid plate anywhere, is it important to have it back and sealed?. Does anybody have a suggestion for this matter ?

Help please.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I couldn't figure where to mount a switch or how to run wires thru the firewall so I used a Pilot 4 channel wireless remote.
Mounted the base unit on top of the front left wheel well and got 12V from F65 in the PDC using a Bussman ATR add-a-ckt fuse.
It was the only place I could find a fuse that was only hot when the Jeep was running.
Since there are 4 circuits you could control 4 separate sets of lights.
You will need relays to operate the lights.
I wear the fob on a neck strap along with my other Jeep fob so I can find it.
There is an on/off switch on the fob to preserve the battery in the fob.
I was concerned that RF would not get from the fob to the base unit but it works fine even without extending the fob antenna.
Only one fob will only work with one base unit.
Has been working for a while and works for me.
Refer to this post for the schematic: Driving lights
Update if you can figure out a way install a switch.
Musicians use a foot operated switch for something, I would like to do this again.
I used it in my SAAB so I could blow the horn without removing my hands from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've seen a post on here, cannot remember where. Dude cut a panel to fit inside the little door bottom left of the steering wheel. With enough patience you can find a way through the firewall on any vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the drivers side firewall there is a rubber plug you can remove and route your wires through that. I ran my ham radio power wires and antenna cable through it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Found it from the interior. Will need to split some small diameter tubing to go over the sheet metal hole.
Maybe I can find the engine side from underneath the Jeep.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a switch, relay, and light setup on my 19KL. Ill show you guys some pictures of my setup shortly. :)

Update:
So thanks to a helpful YouTube video I was able to do the installation of my lights.

Basically ran my wires through the firewall of my KL, into my relay and fuse box under my driver seat which all connects to my switch. The switch ended up being positioned underneath the day light running light control knob.

Link:

Let me know if you guys have any questions!

·
Registered
41 Posts
How has worked out for you? Pros cons or anything you would have done differently now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for asking!

So this was installed Sep 2019.

Personally I am in love with my setup. So far I don’t have any cons. I used to have a relay with a switch which died on me after like 5 months. Then instead of purchasing another one I decided to do this because I wanted a learning experience.

Only thing I will say is if you do your power block and place it under the driver sear, I would highly recommend to place maybe one more relay for any future need and wire it up. When the need comes its less of a hassle to wire the new accessory since theres little space. Or you can leave maybe a foot of slack coiled to just bring it out below the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Last question. Rocker switch pin type? I’m looking at it here pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bought this rocker...

FXC Waterproof Marine Boat Rocker... Amazon.com : FXC Waterproof Marine Boat Rocker Switch Panel 4 Gang with 4.2A Dual USB Slot Socket + Digital Voltage Display + Cigarette Lighter LED Light for Car Rv Vehicles Truck : Sports & Outdoors

Back...

Ill create a quick diagram to show you the install if you like. Even though everything was cabled on my rocker I bought, I decided to just take it all apart and re-wire it myself.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Bought this rocker...

FXC Waterproof Marine Boat Rocker... Amazon.com : FXC Waterproof Marine Boat Rocker Switch Panel 4 Gang with 4.2A Dual USB Slot Socket + Digital Voltage Display + Cigarette Lighter LED Light for Car Rv Vehicles Truck : Sports & Outdoors

Back...

Ill create a quick diagram to show you the install if you like. Even though everything was cabled on my rocker I bought, I decided to just take it all apart and re-wire it myself.

That is definitely the coolest switch box ever!!! Does it fit well in that spot on the left side of the steering wheel under the regular light switch? I see your pictures, and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Cool, looks like you made good use out of the useless cubbyhole!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
If you don't have a sunroof, an option is to get an overhead console that does have the sunroof buttons, remove those buttons and fit your own instead:

These are inexpensive standard electronics toggle switches with weatherproof caps. I also fitted an LED for each switch to indicate when it's active.

I went a bit overboard on the indicator functions using multi-colored LEDs to indicate both off, on, and active "modes". But I could just have hooked the LED up to simply show when the switch it toggled on, like most illuminated switches do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I was wondering if there’s a decent or good looking way to have your light bar switch installed inside of your KL without seeing the annoying wires.
Also, I lost my rubber seal and I think they’re on the skid plate anywhere, is it important to have it back and sealed?. Does anybody have a suggestion for this matter ?

Help please.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts