2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has this and if there is any noticeable gains ? I see the kit if $301.00 but I really hate to blow that kind of cash on a unless product .

I see on ebay they also sell a smaller tube for $124.00
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
Its all in the eyes of the beholder. In my opinion the short answer is no. The other answer is yes if you like a Hot looking engine compartment.
Its all about filtration and power increase/ fuel economy ect. The engine will adjust to air flow or lack of it. Power output will do the same.
The OEM set up takes all this into account. Yes, you can increase air flow to a point through air filtration or lack of it but benefits are minimal as the engine adjusts Fuel/air automatically to maintain power on conditions at hand.
I actually can pick up maybe up to 1 mpg by changing my air filter at 12k instead of 30k. Maybe because there is better airflow from a new filter. As far as power goes not noticeable but I am sure it increase a bit ..
I would be very careful that you maintain the proper Filter filtration for air going into the engine though.
I have tried those "improved Life time filters" and other than a boost of 1mpg at the start that's it. No better than a new filter at 12k. So I am not sold on that idea.
Those $300 kits work on the same principle.
I have heard they improve the engine sound, though.

My other opinion is if the kits did everything they claim the OEM setup would be the same at a fraction of the price.. Power and mpg are coveted in the auto industry and it would be a no brainer for them.
But if you like that set up I would put one in. BUT I would use one that guarantees comparability with your Jeep and does not compromise your 5/50 power train..
A quality set up is the only way to go from a name brand supplier if you do it. That's my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info , I was about to pull the trigger but I knew there was more info that I needed .and you provided it ! Thanks

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
Its all in the eyes of the beholder. In my opinion the short answer is no. The other answer is yes if you like a Hot looking engine compartment.
Its all about filtration and power increase/ fuel economy ect. The engine will adjust to air flow or lack of it. Power output will do the same.
The OEM set up takes all this into account. Yes, you can increase air flow to a point through air filtration or lack of it but benefits are minimal as the engine adjusts Fuel/air automatically to maintain power on conditions at hand.
I actually can pick up maybe up to 1 mpg by changing my air filter at 12k instead of 30k. Maybe because there is better airflow from a new filter. As far as power goes not noticeable but I am sure it increase a bit ..
I would be very careful that you maintain the proper Filter filtration for air going into the engine though.
I have tried those "improved Life time filters" and other than a boost of 1mpg at the start that's it. No better than a new filter at 12k. So I am not sold on that idea.
Those $300 kits work on the same principle.
I have heard they improve the engine sound, though.

My other opinion is if the kits did everything they claim the OEM setup would be the same at a fraction of the price.. Power and mpg are coveted in the auto industry and it would be a no brainer for them.
But if you like that set up I would put one in. BUT I would use one that guarantees comparability with your Jeep and does not compromise your 5/50 power train..
A quality set up is the only way to go from a name brand supplier if you do it. That's my opinion though.
You can listen to someone with ZERO experience with aftermarket modification experience and is hypothetically speaking without actually knowing. OR you can take my facts on the matter. 2 KL's both with intakes AFE and K&N able to compare between the 2 for back to back results. Yes its expensive. Yes it makes a differences. The biggest difference is the gain in highway fuel economy. On average my fuel consumption dropped 1.7L/100kms.

AFE has dyno results for their intakes for the KL and while the peak numbers are not that high its under the curve that people need to focus on and understand. 2500-3000rpm there is a torque gain of over 25ft/lbs vs stock. Thats a huge gain and on Pentastar equipped engines this happens when the intake resonator is removed and the airflow smoothed and increased to the throttlebody and in turn engine.

Don't even worry about air filtration. What I mentioned above (intake resonator removal) creates far more airflow than a simple filter change, while the AFE filter flows more the gain is the increase in airflow from removal of the intake resonator.

If the price of 300 is a bit much, then consider this option
It replaces the intake resonator for less restriction and you can keep running your stock air filter or grab a K&N or AFE panel filter for a slightly less expensive option.

Bottom line you can get solid gains on these 3.2 pentastar engines with a PROPER intake, reason being speed density system than can and will adjust (within reason) to additional airflow modifications.

Facts vs opinions.........

·
Premium Member
179 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You can listen to someone with ZERO experience with aftermarket modification experience and is hypothetically speaking without actually knowing. OR you can take my facts on the matter. 2 KL's both with intakes AFE and K&N able to compare between the 2 for back to back results. Yes its expensive. Yes it makes a differences. The biggest difference is the gain in highway fuel economy. On average my fuel consumption dropped 1.7L/100kms.

AFE has dyno results for their intakes for the KL and while the peak numbers are not that high its under the curve that people need to focus on and understand. 2500-3000rpm there is a torque gain of over 25ft/lbs vs stock. Thats a huge gain and on Pentastar equipped engines this happens when the intake resonator is removed and the airflow smoothed and increased to the throttlebody and in turn engine.

Don't even worry about air filtration. What I mentioned above (intake resonator removal) creates far more airflow than a simple filter change, while the AFE filter flows more the gain is the increase in airflow from removal of the intake resonator.

If the price of 300 is a bit much, then consider this option
It replaces the intake resonator for less restriction and you can keep running your stock air filter or grab a K&N or AFE panel filter for a slightly less expensive option.

Bottom line you can get solid gains on these 3.2 pentastar engines with a PROPER intake, reason being speed density system than can and will adjust (within reason) to additional airflow modifications.

Facts vs opinions.........
WOW man your the best ! , I have no idea it was that much better . This one is a tad bit less , would it work as good as the AFE ? I do a lot of highway traveling .

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
WOW man your the best ! , I have no idea it was that much better . This one is a tad bit less , would it work as good as the AFE ? I do a lot of highway traveling .
The flowmaster is a fine choice as it replaces the intake resonator like the AFE kit

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts